Torti poop

Oldbro

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
most of the time the torts pop in the soak it looks like brown or green toothpaste. Once and a while a little pool on the basking stone and occasional in the water it looks like blowing out a lot of chalk.
Input please, normal?

Kyle gempler

Arizona
I am unsure but my tort has been doing the same thing, it looks like a white piece of rigid concrete.

chulpe

California
Usually your urates are meant to be a paste. If not, your tortoise is dehydrated.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
@chulpe is right and I thought I'd add a bit more explanation.
So what you're seeing is urates and it is in the urine, not the poop. Urates are a by product of protein. It's normal for torts to pass urates but it could indicate a problem if there is a lot of it all the time... this means your torts diet is too rich in protein. Or it can be a problem if it is chunky or chalking. It should be pasty or slimy when first expelled (it's ok if it dries in a chunk or turns chalky). Chunky, gritty or chalky could mean that your tort is dehydrated. Make sure you are soaking your tort regularly. Dehydration can cause the chunky urates to turn into bladder stones.

Oldbro

Chicago
I soak them every day for 20 mins.
They will not eat grass/weeds so I give the
Mixed greens, kale, chard, collard greens, broccoli, and cauliflower. Occasional Mazuri pulverized food mixed in with calcium powder twice a Week.
Ordered a UV meter. Am concerned about proper hydration. Read here to soak substrate
But I develop mold on it in short order.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I soak them every day for 20 mins.
They will not eat grass/weeds so I give the
Mixed greens, kale, chard, greens, broccoli, and cauliflower. Occasional Mazuri pulverized
Food mixed in with calcium powder twice a
Week.
Ordered a UV meter. Am concerned about proper hydration. Read here to soak substrate
But I develop mold on it in short order.
What is your substrate- I use orchid bark and my humidity stays at 90% with no mold. Also be more stubborn than they are with the food. I am glad my parents didn't give in to my all McDonalds dinner requests

Oldbro

Chicago
Here’s what I’m using.

Attachments

• 55DEFC96-4466-4E7E-A97D-9D51D58C3937.jpeg
    55DEFC96-4466-4E7E-A97D-9D51D58C3937.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4