Tortellinis new owner needs help!

hdeaver1

So, we got Tortellini about a month ago, and recently as I have been doing more research on the little guy have found out that many of the things the pet store that we bought him from told us have been wrong, or at least now I am confused as to which source of information is right! So here is some current information on the little guy:
photo 1(1).JPG
This WAS the bedding that was recommended in the pet store. However, about a week later I read that it's actually not okay at all. I bought compressed ECO EARTH coconut fiber and mixed it with a very small amount of vita-sand. Is this the appropriate substrate for him now?

We live in St. George, Utah which is a very small town that has a hot and dry climate. I recently read that his best environment should consist of humidity. Can someone please direct me to fairly cheap ways to ensure he is getting the proper amount of humidity?

Other questions:
I have been buying him field greens, mixed with Natural Zone Bites for tortoises, timothy hay, and on two occasions allowed him to nibble on two small pieces of cut up pear. We also bought some grass and planted it in his encloser. However, he didn't seem to love it. Further advice on feeding him would be lovely.

I also read about soaking him. How often does this need to happen? We have been soaking him once a week and lightly scrubbing him with a toothbrush and rubbing tortoise lotion on him (supposed to help him with his shell growth?)

Tortellini won't poop in his enclosure. He only poops when I place him in the water to soak. Is this normal?

Please be kind to me as I am new at this. I am just looking for proper direction in his care because it seems the pet stores here vary in their answer and I am finding a variety of information on the internet.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Welcome to the wonderful world of Leopard ownership :D

First, let me try to answer your questions directly.

The switch to an Eco-earth substrate was a good move. Personally, I wouldn't have added the sand. Some use it with no problems and some experience impaction or even death from using sand. You can choose to dump it and start over or just leave the sand out next time you change the bedding.

The easiest, most cost effective way to create a hot and humid environment for your lil' guy is to create a closed chamber. Many of us use them. They are very easy to maintain. (more on this later)

Tom has compiled a fantastic list of greens. I'll try to find it for you. The more variety you offer the better. I personally never feed any fruit and they wont eat the hay unless it's rehydrated and chopped up very small. If you feed enough fibrous grass and weeds then you don't even need the hay.

I soak them daily until they live outside full time. Since you still have a baby, I suggest soaking him every day for 20min in 85F-95F water. It will ensure proper hydration.
They often poop in the water. He could be pooping in the enclosure and you don't see it, can't find it or he's eating it. But, on a good diet they should poop daily.

You are in the right place to learn about Leopard care. :) Many of us have some good lookin' ones that confirm these husbandry methods!

Here is some of the list I mentioned:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Opuntia cactus pads and fruits

Weeds:
Dandelion
Dichondra
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Prickly Lettuce
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

By the looks of your photo you are using a glass tank to house him. Is that correct? If so, I've had great success with converting them into "closed chambers". I've attached some photos of my hatchling chamber for you to get ideas.
n50zdg.jpg

dm7gb9.jpg

Right now I don't use official humid hides with the babies. They burrow into the moss every night and sleep completely covered. Since they do that and still grow smooth I'm fine leaving the box hides out. But they are just as easy to create. Here is a quick example of the ones in my juvenile chamber. A tub upside down with a door hole, filled with moist moss. Most people use dark tubs but since the juvenile's only sleep in here I didn't mind using clear. The lights are out anyway ;)
i1b7ky.jpg

Back to the baby chamber, here you can see that I covered the screen lid with a clear plastic. It allows me to see inside but traps the humidity inside
ifu0kl.jpg

I cut holes in the plastic so my heat isn't blocked. I also trimmed the cut outs with a ring of aluminum foil. This keeps the dome from touching the plastic.
zx7ixf.jpg

This trick with this to make sure all holes are covered. I keep humidity in the high 80-99% without a problem.

These little things are just great to have around. I have them in every enclosure and tortoise house. They show temperature, humidity and record the 24hr highs and lows. Best part is the are only $9-$10 (depending on where you shop)
33pennn.jpg

I hope this helps you :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second what Heather said. She has some great looking leopards. Toms threads are below in my post for raising a healthy leopard. Check them out too.

hdeaver1

Yes, I do have him in a glass tank. I am a bit concerned that it's not enough room? However, I went to walmart today and bought a $20 shallow 66 QT tub and filled it with the coconut fiber and a nice flat rock from outside. I figured I can let thim out for an hour or so in the evening to run around in it. Maybe before his daily soak I am going to start? I love your closed chamber Heather! So pretty. I will have to look into converting mine into that. However, today as an experiment in keeping the humidity I tried adding water to the substrate and mixing it around. I was able to get the tank 55H/90F. Is this good? Wellington, I have started reading the threads you recommended and it is so helpful! Thanks so much for the comments!