Tort won't eat anything

Pungent

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia
I have a greek tortoise, I put Leaf lettuce and mint out for him. but he would never eat any of it
this is his enclosure that im currently using: (i will upgrade to a bigger and better enclosure once equipment arrives)
15887598881354861950689560758541.jpg
he has a plate of water and a desk lamp that I use for heat, I get him out everyday for half an hour in the sun and put him in our garden which has (couch grass), be basks there, he doesnt move or anything and i watch him from a distance just to make sure that no predators come near him, same thing when i put food for him in his cage. I also soak him in luke warm water for 10-15 minutes everyday since i got him
he just sits where i put him and barely moves or eats.

is there something wrong and if so, what should i do?

Seb

Cheshire
What are the temps in his enclosure? Are you bathing him? Tortoises won't eat if they're too cold because they can't digest the food

Seb

Cheshire
Just looking at your setup. Can he actually access the food in that bowl? It looks like it would be difficult to see it, never mind actually get to it. Use a piece of slate or a terracotta saucer (usually used under plant pots) instead to make it more accessible.

I think there's quite a few things you'll need to change in your setup asap but I'll let others with more experience help you there.

Pungent

Just looking at your setup. Can he actually access the food in that bowl? It looks like it would be difficult to see it, never mind actually get to it. Use a piece of slate or a terracotta saucer (usually used under plant pots) instead to make it more accessible.

I think there's quite a few things you'll need to change in your setup asap but I'll let others with more experience help you there.
he can actually access it if he wanted, its buried in the substrate minimal climbing is needed

Seb

Cheshire
I would still swap out your bowl. Don't make it any harder for him to get to the food. We recently went from a reptile dish with sides sold to us as part of our table kit to a simple piece of slate and he's suddenly eating loads more! Tortoises are not fussy on the look, just how easy it is to get to the food ?

28 won't be hot enough, your basking area should be around 32/35. I'd recommend a nice long soak in a tub with tall sides. I use a washing up bowl. For maybe upto an hour. Use warm water (not hot) that comes up to the join in his two shells. I always do it slightly higher if my tort's lethargic to encourage him to drink. Keep the water warm. If he tries to get out, just keep him in, it's good exercise anyway!

Afterwards, put his food under his light so he can bask and, hopefully, eat a little where he is warmest.

I'd do this daily until you can get his new setup sorted to ensure he's hydrated and warm.

Pungent

I would still swap out your bowl. Don't make it any harder for him to get to the food. We recently went from a reptile dish with sides sold to us as part of our table kit to a simple piece of slate and he's suddenly eating loads more! Tortoises are not fussy on the look, just how easy it is to get to the food ?

28 won't be hot enough, your basking area should be around 32/35. I'd recommend a nice long soak in a tub with tall sides. I use a washing up bowl. For maybe upto an hour. Use warm water (not hot) that comes up to the join in his two shells. I always do it slightly higher if my tort's lethargic to encourage him to drink. Keep the water warm. If he tries to get out, just keep him in, it's good exercise anyway!

Afterwards, put his food under his light so he can bask and, hopefully, eat a little where he is warmest.

I'd do this daily until you can get his new setup sorted to ensure he's hydrated and warm.
Thank you for this advice ❤️

Reactions: Seb

KrisW

Las Vegas
I have a greek tortoise, I put Leaf lettuce and mint out for him. but he would never eat any of it
this is his enclosure that im currently using: (i will upgrade to a bigger and better enclosure once equipment arrives)
View attachment 293535
he has a plate of water and a desk lamp that I use for heat, I get him out everyday for half an hour in the sun and put him in our garden which has (couch grass), be basks there, he doesnt move or anything and i watch him from a distance just to make sure that no predators come near him, same thing when i put food for him in his cage. I also soak him in luke warm water for 10-15 minutes everyday since i got him
he just sits where i put him and barely moves or eats.

is there something wrong and if so, what should i do?
Is he opening his eyes? Mine are like that and don't open their eyes, not eating and lethargic. (I have 2 leopard torts) I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with them. Vet said possible respiratory infection or vitamin deficiency...

Pungent

Is he opening his eyes? Mine are like that and don't open their eyes, not eating and lethargic. (I have 2 leopard torts) I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with them. Vet said possible respiratory infection or vitamin deficiency...
He rarely opens his eyes but occasionally he does, usually in the morning when im soaking him