Tort was "free to great home" SHOULD’VE been "TERRIBLE OWNERS. NEEDS RESCUING" PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Dawna-guess I should add a salad spinner to my list of things to buy for Trevor that my fiance never seems to think he actually needs! Thanks for the tip. You actually find turnip greens at the store? I've asked at about 5 different chains and no one will carry them, although the one closest to me says they do get requests, but not enough. I started a tray of them though.

come on down to Texas. We are overloaded with them at the grocery stores!!! You have collards, turnip and mustards all next to each other. Even walmart here keeps them pretty much year round.

As for the mazuri, I will try to sprinkle it on the salad and see if shelly will go for it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Wow. I can get collards, mustard greens, and all sorts of exotic stuff (my organic place has 3 kinds of chard, etc)...but no one sells turnips with the tops still on or the greens themselves, lol. I went to an asian market the other day and they had all sorts of good tort food.

Anyone else ever get charged for produce that costs less than what they actually bought? I've gotten charged even half price because people think it's a more common green when it's a rare one. Also, sometimes they forget to check that it is organic and costs more than the conventional grown.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I find turnip greens all the time. They come from the same company, and in pretty much the same package, as these -

DSCF7709a.jpg

I just happened to have a pic of the beet greens and not the turnip greens.

Kristina

Karyn

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Boothywn, Pennsylvania
I have discovered that my grocery store will allow me to buy only one leaf of each type. When bunches are sold by weight, I snag one or two leaves from the bunch, put them in a store baggie, and write the type on the bag with a permanent marker. Takes a while and many other customers are amused by my work. :D With only one tort I was throwing so much away. (I'm not a big greens fan myself.) Sometimes all the greens I'll use in a week cost less than a buck. Then I wash and store them as suggested by others on this site.

Karyn

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hmmm....guess it varies by locale because we don't get some of the greens sold in other parts of the country (turnip, beet), and all our bunches are sold by a fixed price (some weeks they just have more or less). Only a couple stores sell anything by the pound, and it's usually spring mix or a kale/chard mix (which I don't get much of). I'd love to just pick up a leaf of everything!

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
all ours are sold in bunches banded together with a barcode. Usually 0.99 or less per bunch.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
kyryah said:
I find turnip greens all the time. They come from the same company, and in pretty much the same package, as these -

DSCF7709a.jpg

I just happened to have a pic of the beet greens and not the turnip greens.

Kristina

This is the same package I found for curly mustard and collard. but it is too big for the kids to finish a bag before it goes bad.
The human kids ate all the "tortoise food" today, so I have to do weeds only tomorrow am and go shopping tomorrow. I am tempted to mix yard weeds in some of my spring mix in the fridge to make sure all the kids have food every day. My human kids have a tendency to tell me when something is gone instead of almost gone. I had a friend tell me she hit up the local produce guy about needing tortoise food and he told her to come in monday before 8am and he will give her the produce discards to sort before he throws them in the dumpster. She said most of the time they are wilted on the outside and good in the middle. She cleans them up and feeds for the week. There is variety because she picks up different stuff every monday

A good idea for those on a budget or with large tort households, if you can id the greens. They are not marked, just all thrown in a box.

Dawna

Status
Not open for further replies.