Tort Table So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Figured I would Share what I have been working on for the past few weeks got most of the structure done. Stained and Sparurethaned the wood. Its cured now so I can start installing some of the goodies. Im covering it with Acrylic to help with humidity. That is what the slanted frame is attached to the box. I should be done in a few days or so need to install the bottom shelf and such Enjoy!

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
The Cherry Head I've been and still looking for :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Lucky baby...what are the dimensions of the "box"? :)

I admire people who can build things themselves. I never got that gene...;)

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tort Table Update

Almost done just a few more things but this is what I have so far. Still have Reptifogger, Bottom shelf, more hides, pool area, and more plants.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I'm not sure about the heat emitter as I don't use them.
My question is about what looks like a "Handle" in the floor.
Is that some sort of Tortoise exercise station?
Pull up bar, Vaulting horse kinda thing?

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh no its not on the floor. If you look at the first picutre in this series you'll see the hinges on top and two handles. That is what is holding the acrylic to the table. Figured it would help with the humidity. The side angles are open for airflow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! You built the enclosure BEFORE you got the animal. What a concept! You are to be commended. Good job. The enclosure looks great too. Keep an eye on the clamp lamp next to the plexi. I've had trouble with that sort of proximity in the past.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
I was a little concerned about that myself. I'm thinking since its pointed down and top of the lamp is 3 inches from the acrylic it should be fine. Im only putting a heat emitter in it. The zoo med ones dont get as hot as the cone shaped ones from exo terra or zilla. Therefore the heat direction is based soley from the bottom plate. So it goes where I point it. Also I tested my friends reptifogger before and after the acrylic. Before it only held around 65% with the acrylic it now holds 92%. Not to mention it keeps an almost perfect temperature gradient. 68-73 on the cool side (fogger hose side) and 82-87 on the hot side. My fogger should come in next week sometime. Hope to have the tortoise within the same period. Ive been talking to many different breeders and so far $150 shipped from Florida to Arizona for a Cherry Head.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Shaun, that enclosure is perfect. Really great. I bet you can't wait for him to come. You did the best thing setting everything up before you got him. Can't wait to see pictures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Defiant said:
I was a little concerned about that myself. I'm thinking since its pointed down and top of the lamp is 3 inches from the acrylic it should be fine. Im only putting a heat emitter in it. The zoo med ones dont get as hot as the cone shaped ones from exo terra or zilla. Therefore the heat direction is based soley from the bottom plate. So it goes where I point it. Also I tested my friends reptifogger before and after the acrylic. Before it only held around 65% with the acrylic it now holds 92%. Not to mention it keeps an almost perfect temperature gradient. 68-73 on the cool side (fogger hose side) and 82-87 on the hot side. My fogger should come in next week sometime. Hope to have the tortoise within the same period. Ive been talking to many different breeders and so far $150 shipped from Florida to Arizona for a Cherry Head.

I have one of those foggers too. I love it and so does my mountain horned dragon. He wasn't doing too well before I set it up. Now he's doing great!

I'm exited for you. This is the way its supposed to happen. Can't wait to see pics when you get one finally. Congrats on a great set-up.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Roachman26 said:
I have one of those foggers too. I love it and so does my mountain horned dragon. He wasn't doing too well before I set it up. Now he's doing great!

I'm exited for you. This is the way its supposed to happen. Can't wait to see pics when you get one finally. Congrats on a great set-up.

you got the horned after all??? Niiice.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
BRILLIANT.
BRILLIANT.
BRILLIANT.

We are totally borrowing your enclosure idea for Stagger's enclosure.
We'll be making ours slightly longer, though, but this is awesome!

We've got to figure out the heat emitter, but my husband has ideas.

This is just GREAT!!!

Defiant

5 Year Member
Arizona
More updates :) I think I am almost complete now and ready for the new baby. My pup was sooo lazy today slept while I was hard at work. There is a marble turtle inside the pool in the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.