Tort Names & How Many?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't name mine. If they came to me with a name, I'll keep it, but no names for the others.

I used to post pictures of my Aldabran tortoises, referring to them as The Bigger One and The Smaller One, and one of our members in NorCal named them BO and SO (the Bigger One and the Smaller One)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't name mine. If they came to me with a name, I'll keep it, but no names for the others.

I used to post pictures of my Aldabran tortoises, referring to them as The Bigger One and The Smaller One, and one of our members in NorCal named them BO and SO (the Bigger One and the Smaller One)
That's clever and cute, I like it. Really sounds like a name! :D

puffy137

My herd were never named until they moved to their new paddock. Since then I have renamed Blackie ( for obvious reasons) Caesar as he is the dominant male.. However I have been reading lately Suetonius' account of Julius & as a bloke called Curio's pater once said in a speech about the mighty Caesar that 'He was every woman's man & Every man's woman' :eek: Which doesn't fit my Caesar at all , as he is a one female male. Maybe a change to Constantine would be more suitable.
My 8 females are all called after English Queens , so there is Queen Alexandra , Queen Elizabeth , Queen Victoria , etc etc , the odd thing is that the one named Queen Anne , is the only one with slight early signs of ' pyramiding , & the real Queen Anne was known for horrendous obesity. She staggered out of her ' palace ' this morning to munch on a lettuce leaf or 3, but when the warmer weather comes I will try to put her on a diet & encourage her to exercise more.:D

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
2 Greek, Dopey and Grumpy
3 Russian, Bubble, Delilah and Stomping Norman (formally known as Happy)
1 Hermann, Sam
2 Tunisian Stewart and Diane (i didnt name them lol )

TortMomma

I have 5 turtles/tortoises

EBT- Penny
Russian- Poppy
Leopard- Pippa
Sulcata- Potter
RES (foster)- Penelope

I get mad when ppl mix up their names but I even get stuck..... Haha I suppose I can't have any more because I'm not sure I can come up with any other "P" names.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
6 Leopards: Scarlett is by far the biggest at 18lbs, Mort is my 1st. He started it all. Butters is my smallest, but not youngest. The trio, Andy, Brooke and Charlie are about 6 months old.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
I have 1 - He's a Desert Tort - His name is Steve.

Lol, the above reminds me of the 2 cats my wife and I have. They had names for about a month. Now (for the last 10 years) they are simply referred to as black kitty and white kitty.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
4 Redfoots
Big Red
Speedy
Junior/June Bug/Lil Foot (hard a hard time deciding but junior stuck)
Flapjack

2 Cherry Heads
Rudy & Blitzen & I often call 'em #11 & #18 cuz that's what the breeder had marked on their shells & it's still there...it kind of just stuck :)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I have 1, I'm still at the star of my tort owning life, and plan to have more when I have my own place.
He's a Russian Tortoise: Franklin-but i call him Nank when discussing him and call him Nay when i'm talking to him... needless to say i got frustrated at my uncreative name so we've made it work.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
My family and I are new to the tortoise game so we only have one baby Sulcata that my toddler named Seven :rolleyes:

My husband and I found a way to love the name though because we are both huge Seinfeld fans and in the one episode, George tells Susan that he wants to name one of their future children Seven, so it works for us :p

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
How many ? Great question names well my male leopard is named divorce . But back to what I have ? Ornate boxes , 3 Toed box , Res , Painted , False map , Cooters , Marginated , 23 leopards , Pancakes , Russians , DT's ,Herrmans , and Egyptians .