Tort Mom wanna be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello everyone, I am glad to have found a place with so much information and community about tortoises!

I have just started researching what sort of tortoise might be right for me. I really had my heart set on trying to adopt a rescue sulcata, but after much reading I have decided that my yard is just not big enough for one as he/she grows. Plus living in a subdivision having a large reptile that can burrow up to 16ft or more in ones back yard might not be the best idea.

So I am continuing my research and hoping I can find just the right shelled buddy to adopt into my home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Terrapin:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

I'm happy to see you doing your research prior to jumping into the tortoise-keeping world. I'm sure you'll find something that fits your lifestyle.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
You can call me Terra, and thanks for the welcome. :)

I live on the outskirts of Austin, TX.

I sure hope so, I have learned a lot already. Some of the information has been really amazing and makes me all the more excited about finding one that will be a good fit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Everyone here has their favorite species. There are lots to choose from. Personally, my climate is a big factor in which species I choose to work with. What sort of climate do you have?

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. Everyone here has their favorite species. There are lots to choose from. Personally, my climate is a big factor in which species I choose to work with. What sort of climate do you have?

Being in South Central Texas. We tend to have pretty hot summers, and generally mild winters though it does happen from time time where we dip below freezing. It is not as humid in this portion of the state as in others, but humidity does play a factor.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! What was it you liked about the sulcata? Perhaps we can point you to something a bit smaller, but still sorta like one.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
I originally learned about the sulcata after being recommended to look into tortoise rescue. I have read that many end up being given over to rescue organizations because of the rapidity of their growth due to people buying them as hatchlings and failing to anticipate their size in a relatively short period of time. So part of what I like about the sulcata is their size, that they are just big lumbering 'dinosaurs'.

Plus after seeing photos and reading about a number experiences owners have with their gregarious and vivacious 'eating machines' well I found myself digging further in to find out if my home would be a good fit. They seem to have such personality and I love their wise and often cranky expressions. lol

Unfortunately my research led me to realize that realistically I could not give a sulcata the lasting home one would deserve. However, I am still very much interested in finding a tortoise that would make a good addition and feel that my yard could easily sustain a medium sized tortoise, just not one as big and dig happy as the sully.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So your thinking medium sized. The most common one folks get in that range are the redfoot/cherryheads. You would have to have shaded areas and be able to do some misting/spraying. Would that be a problem?

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Jacqui said:
So your thinking medium sized. The most common one folks get in that range are the redfoot/cherryheads. You would have to have shaded areas and be able to do some misting/spraying. Would that be a problem?

I do anticipate that there will have to be some changes made to the yard before any tortoise moves in. Shade structures added and a tortoise house for night time. I do not see the misting/spraying as being a problem.

Though reading about baby redfoot/cherryheads is a little intimidating from a complete newb perspective. Not wanting to over water and such.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you're sure that a sulcata won't be a good fit, then I think a leopard is the next best thing.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Terrapin said:
Though reading about baby redfoot/cherryheads is a little intimidating from a complete newb perspective. Not wanting to over water and such.

They are actually a species we recommend to new folks. I would suggest going with an older animal, rather then a baby. Adults are more "hardy" and thus might relieve some of your concerns.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
jaizei said:
If you're sure that a sulcata won't be a good fit, then I think a leopard is the next best thing.

I was actually wondering about the leopard as a possibility. I am looking into them as well.

Jacqui said:
They are actually a species we recommend to new folks. I would suggest going with an older animal, rather then a baby. Adults are more "hardy" and thus might relieve some of your concerns.

Very good point, as I continue my reading I will definitely keep that in mind. Over all whichever sort of tortoise I get I think I would like to start off with one that isn't in its hatchling state if I can help it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you looked into Hermann's tortoises? How about russians? Leopards would be good to. Look into the South African leopards. I like them better than the regular leopards. They get bigger and I think their personalities tend to be more outgoing. Kind of similar to a sulcata but with out all the digging and destruction. And big, but not TOO big.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Tom said:
Have you looked into Hermann's tortoises? How about russians? Leopards would be good to. Look into the South African leopards. I like them better than the regular leopards. They get bigger and I think their personalities tend to be more outgoing. Kind of similar to a sulcata but with out all the digging and destruction. And big, but not TOO big.

I have done a bit of looking at both Russians and Greek. I have not checked out the Hermann's though will have to peek into that.

Its great to have a lot of options to investigate. I am definitely taking my time with this so as not to make a poor decision that could adversely affect my new addition. I want to try and be as well prepared as possible before the tort comes home.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If your wanting to start with a hatchling, keep in mind you will need to build a really good outside enclosure to keep them safe, along with one inside. I didn't mention the Greek, Russian, or Hermanns because I thought you wanted medium size, but they are great beginners tortoises. Leopards seem to be harder for many, so I would personally would consider it not as easy as the Redfoot.

You are wise to take your time. This is a life time (and often beyond) commitment.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Personally, I decided against Redfoots because I didn't think it would be easy to provide them with a proper enclosure outside in Central Texas. I think it would be an uphill battle trying to provide (what I think is) adequate vegetation and shade. But DixieParadise keeps some in Georgetown so it can be done if you want to put in the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.