Tort keepers I need your help! Closed chamber ideas please.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello tortoise keepers I need your help! I'm planning to build a new closed chamber enclosure for my Redfoots. It's going to be 4'x8' made out of white or black melamine boards. I need help making the lid of the enclosure. I do plan to use plexiglass but I have no idea how I would set that up. I am no carpenter and I plan to take this project myself. I built and outdoor enclosure for my torts and I think I did pretty good so I think I can take on this project. Please share your pictures of your enclosures so that I can see a side view and a top view of the enclosure so that I can put together a plan. Thank you and I hope you share your pictures :)

CaptainMorgan

How will you access them through the enclosure? Through a sliding door in the front, hinged on top, or something else?
Just make sure to have someone at a hardware store (lowes/home depot) score and cut the Plexiglas for you. Or else you'll spend a ton of $$$ screwing up and making jagged cuts. Also make sure to use a thicker Plexiglas for doors and windows as it will sag over time.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello tortoise keepers I need your help! I'm planning to build a new closed chamber enclosure for my Redfoots. It's going to be 4'x8' made out of white or black melamine boards. I need help making the lid of the enclosure. I do plan to use plexiglass but I have no idea how I would set that up. I am no carpenter and I plan to take this project myself. I built and outdoor enclosure for my torts and I think I did pretty good so I think I can take on this project. Please share your pictures of your enclosures so that I can see a side view and a top view of the enclosure so that I can put together a plan. Thank you and I hope you share your pictures :)
Please check the "enclosures" section. There are lots of ideas, pics, and so on, and keep us updated.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This was one of the simplest ways I set something up fast. Not easy on the eye(doesn't bother me though)but it works.
Down side is because lamp shades are laid on top you waste a bit of heat. Up side is the enclosure doesn't have to be as high.
IMG_20160808_054602.jpg

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
This was one of the simplest ways I set something up fast. Not easy on the eye(doesn't bother me though)but it works.
Down side is because lamp shades are laid on top you waste a bit of heat. Up side is the enclosure doesn't have to be as high.
View attachment 184106

Is that a "Beware of the Tortoise" plate on there? Aghhhh I need one!!!!!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Members please upload more pictures of your indoor enclosures
How far on are you with your thought process, are you wanting general ideas for size and type of enclosure, or are you wanting details in how members imitate heat, light, humidity, décor etc.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
How far on are you with your thought process, are you wanting general ideas for size and type of enclosure, or are you wanting details in how members imitate heat, light, humidity, décor etc.

Hello Anyfoot I just want general ideas for type of enclosures, I'm gonna need to make two enclosures one for the cherryheads and another one for the redfoots. I am not a carpenter but I'm going to try and make the enclosures myself so I have to get creative. I think I'm going for the open enclosure, tortoise table like or semi closed, so I'm trying to get more ideas, so this is why I'm asking members to upload their pics ;):)

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
View attachment 184106
I like the rustic look it looks nice I'm probably gonna something like this :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I like the rustic look it looks nice I'm probably gonna something like this :)
I didn't make that box, I bought it from a packaging company who make wooden freight boxes. Only £40 for 4x8ft part of it.