tort helps out a flipped buddy.....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't view the vid, but we have seen a few on here in the past. It's not a friendly helping hand as you think. It is tortoise aggression.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Am I the only one who wonders how 'buddy' got flipped in the first place?
Leopard tortoise do not flip easily.

Yeah, i wondered as well. Is that a pair there, and the male fell off while attempting to mount?

• Regardless, a nice ram/head butt/push did help out in the end. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, he was tipped over on purpose by the other tortoise. This was a fight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't see the video either, but we have reviewed this one many times here. Classic tortoise aggression and so many people don't seem to be able to recognize it. Once he flips the tortoise back to its feet (an act of aggression in itself), he then chases it it right out of its territory trying to bite or mount it as it runs away.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
every days a school day! i thought it was perhaps trying to mount as was right on his 'buddys' heels when righted. I copied and pasted link using the app on iphone, might be why wont play? must admint i let a big 'awwww' when i watched it lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I guess it is kind of scary someone is promoting this as friend behavior, friends like that I don't need. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The title should read:

Tort flips and chases away competitor

Don't worry...you aren't the first and certainly won't be the last to view this as helping a buddy. Most people think that...it's why this video has gone viral.
Good news is you are now 1 more person who can accurately identify the behavior. Maybe someday a tort flipping another will be as common knowledge as a dog growl.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
its easy to see how people could think it was helping its friend. but kinda makes me wonder tho how many people have multiple torts that believe they are friends playing or helping each other when in fact their fighting/bullying each other.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes i agree. The more I thought about this video the more I see how this was mere aggression and bullying vice "lending a helping hand."

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is one male ramming another. Not "helping" it. That's most likely how he got on his back in the first place. Then the rammer chases the loser out of his territory. This is tortoise aggression. Not heartwarming altruism.

Again with this...