tort flip over on its back

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
recently, I read many post about how their baby tort flip over on its back, and die eventually.
this is just out of curiosity, if you have this large enclosure, with only water and food dish, a hide or two. and a flat surface. How the hell that can make a baby flip over?
I have a stair that made for my baby star, and he seems fine to walk on it, climb up and down with no problem. perhaps, star is one of the shy and easy to scare species...
I just dont get it....I know this isn't right to brought this sad thing up, but maybe some of you who lost your baby can share some of your experience. so we will know and learn.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Often babies try to climb up the walls, cage furnishings or corners and end up on their backs. Some do it and some don't.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Often times when they try and climb the walls for what ever reason they flip over. Sadly it is just what tortoises do sometimes.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I do my best to "flip over proof" the whole enclosure but its just inevitable. Even with straight walls they manage to flip over. I've never had one die on me but have had hundreds flipped over.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
My baby girl Jewels (sulcata hatchling) dose it EVERY day... I have watched her do it... she walks towards ANYTHING in the enclosure and just trys to "run" up it... she dose this to walls.. low rocks.. her humid hide box... ANYTHING and then she flips and freeks out.... I am always checking on them and when I find her like that she looks up at me like "hey you FIX this" I flip her back over and she is off and running again.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Tortoises can also flip over from climbing on each other. I have seen them do it while attempting to get the "best" basking spot.

HtVic

5 Year Member
that's when you guys there, you can help them flip back
what if you go to work or school

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Like Austin said, I've never had one die from it. As soon as you find them, you just flip them back over. Most of the time they can flip themselves back over too. It's really not that big of a deal.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I too have found my Russian flipped on her back. Daredevil jumped off her log. It's just what they do, you do your best to make it as safe as possible for them, but sometimes accidents happen.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I thought the poor girl who flipped and died had flipped over in the water dish? Walter flips regularly, like if I try to touch his things, or he doesn't get cactus fruit when he wants it...

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Bow said:
I thought the poor girl who flipped and died had flipped over in the water dish? Walter flips regularly, like if I try to touch his things, or he doesn't get cactus fruit when he wants it...

I believe there were two different babies. The one in the water and another that was found flipped on substrate I think. I think they both didn't make it :(

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Laurie said:
I believe there were two different babies. The one in the water and another that was found flipped on substrate I think. I think they both didn't make it :(

Awe :( I was sad enough when I new that just one had. It's to bad hatchlings aren't tougher.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bow said:

That is correct, but the important detail is that it was one of those pet store dishes and it was too deep. That is the lesson I think she wanted people to learn and her reason for posting about her tragic accident.

I have found mine upside down in their water bowl a few times and they just look up at me like, "Hey! A little help here...". I actually usually think to myself, "what a great way to ensure the that carapace is good and moist...".

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The one I used to have climbed on everything and flipped over so I had to remove things from the enclosure. The one I have now has never flipped over that I know of. He just isn't a climber.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Square corners seem to be a trouble spot. If you can round those off, they have less of an urge to climb and flip.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
My leo is an expert at climbing corners. I think it's due to his long nails or long feet :p He's pretty good at not falling on his back but it does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.