Tort doesn’t feel good

Melissacoop

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines, FL
The big BM is a promising sign. The hair is not.

The opuntia meal should help push things through, but long hairs can get caught up and wrapped around the intestinal tract. Its possible that they'd see some sign of this on an X-ray, but also possibly not.

If the big BM didn't resolve the issue, then an Xray and some blood work will at least offer some insight.

The two big no-no's that vet almost always want to do is "vitamin" injections and Baytril injections. Just tell them up front that you don't want either of those and go from there.

I don't want to tell you to wait and see, and then have the tortoise die. I would probably wait and see, but your situation is different, and I'm not watching what you are watching. Trust your gut. Go with your gut. IF (big IF) your tortoise has hair strands wrapped up in its intestinal tract, or if the tortoise ate something poisonous, there really isn't anything a vet can do anyway. If it were my tort, I'd put him in the bath tub with warm water and try to get the tortoise treadmill going. Like a hot walker for a colicy horse. Keep the water warm, a little deeper than normal, and supervise closely. The larger size and slippery surface sometime gets them trudging and all that leg movement get things moving.

I don't want to lecture you. Not the time for that, but I feel its important for anyone reading to be reminded: This is why tortoises need their own enclosures. Tortoises shouldn't share the floor in the house or the yard outside with people or dogs. They need their own enclosures where people and dogs are not doing their thing.
@Tom I plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow as he did not perk up the rest of the day. I soaked three times and no more stool but I feel he was posturing to go a few times but didn’t so I’m worried about a blockage. I’m taking him to the Exotic Specialty Office that is featured on Animal Plamet so hopefully they won’t offer the vitamin and Baytril injections. I know the vitamin injection is not necessary but what is the issue with the Baytril? Is it the wrong antibiotic for them or just the “cure all” approach? I’m just wondering if they want to give him a different antibiotic injection if that is advised or just oral meds?
Thanks for your time as always. ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom I plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow as he did not perk up the rest of the day. I soaked three times and no more stool but I feel he was posturing to go a few times but didn’t so I’m worried about a blockage. I’m taking him to the Exotic Specialty Office that is featured on Animal Plamet so hopefully they won’t offer the vitamin and Baytril injections. I know the vitamin injection is not necessary but what is the issue with the Baytril? Is it the wrong antibiotic for them or just the “cure all” approach? I’m just wondering if they want to give him a different antibiotic injection if that is advised or just oral meds?
Thanks for your time as always. ?
Injectable Baytril is extremely caustic. Its like injecting straight bleach into them. Oral Baytril is fine, if the situation calls for it. If your tortoise has a blockage, I don't see what antibiotics would do.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Injectable Baytril is extremely caustic. Its like injecting straight bleach into them. Oral Baytril is fine, if the situation calls for it. If your tortoise has a blockage, I don't see what antibiotics would do.
Gotcha!! I just soaked him( no poop) then stuck Mazuri right in front of him and he’s eating it!

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Good morning ?
thank you all for your concern and advice with my little guy. I’m hoping, fingers crossed he’s turning the corner. After a warm soak this morning, I put Mazuri right in front of his face and he came out to eat it!! Then he went to burying himself!! Two days ago I tried that and he didn’t eat so I’m hoping it was a stomach upset. I’m going to keep up with twice a day soaks and enticing foods and see if I can get him back to normal. ?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Gotcha!! I just soaked him( no poop) then stuck Mazuri right in front of him and he’s eating it!
Eating is a very good sign! I’ve been thinking about your little tort nonstop, so please keep us posted on how the vet visit goes If you still choose to take him. I’m so happy things seem to be headed in the right direction now though.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

Risky this . . . but maybe this is what Trump was talking about when he suggested injecting disinfectant. . . . . nah who am i kidding, he meant straight old bleach

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Eating is a very good sign! I’ve been thinking about your little tort nonstop, so please keep us posted on how the vet visit goes If you still choose to take him. I’m so happy things seem to be headed in the right direction now though.
I’ve postponed the vet visit for now. We’ll see how today goes. He was burying himself so I’m hoping he’s getting back to normal. Thank you for your kind words!
Risky this . . . but maybe this is what Trump was talking about when he suggested injecting disinfectant. . . . . nah who am i kidding, he meant straight old bleach
omg!??‍♀️

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
H guys!
Just got home from work. Little guy wasn’t asking to come out. Still buried from this morning but I brought him out for afternoon sun and grazing. He sat in his shell for about 20 minutes. I went and got him some moistened Mazuri and stuck it right in front of his nose again. It took about 15 minutes but he finally went for it. Also ate a small amount of hibiscus. Usually he will eat it all but at least he ate. Now he is gingerly walking around. Seems alittle off with his footing and just looks a little off but he’s moving!!
I will continue to soak but I think he is slowly rebounding.
Anybody want to take a guess at his gender? I know he’s still small but take a guess!

Attachments

• B330BB72-2A1B-4D46-B400-9FCF20B9A9C7.jpeg
    B330BB72-2A1B-4D46-B400-9FCF20B9A9C7.jpeg
    914.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 9F6AA8A4-97E4-458B-8298-67F1623C5930.jpeg
    9F6AA8A4-97E4-458B-8298-67F1623C5930.jpeg
    903 KB · Views: 13
  • 93DFBAA0-543E-4819-8509-D714DE441C8F.jpeg
    93DFBAA0-543E-4819-8509-D714DE441C8F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Hi guys,

Im driving myself crazy with this tortoise. The only thing I can get him to eat is Mazuri. He does walk from where I put him to another place to stash. Doesn’t look well to me. Now I can’t tell if he looks alittle yellow. I would imagine torts can get jaundice, too?
I’m thinking I should just take him in for bloodwork and X-rays. Where do they draw blood from a tortoise? How do they give fluids? ( if at all?)
@Tom @zovick

Attachments

• 66F8941D-32D8-40B3-A442-E3D3A416295B.jpeg
    66F8941D-32D8-40B3-A442-E3D3A416295B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 4E52429F-DB60-41F8-BBF3-F5D6784EFC24.jpeg
    4E52429F-DB60-41F8-BBF3-F5D6784EFC24.jpeg
    870.1 KB · Views: 15

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Hi guys,

Im driving myself crazy with this tortoise. The only thing I can get him to eat is Mazuri. He does walk from where I put him to another place to stash. Doesn’t look well to me. Now I can’t tell if he looks alittle yellow. I would imagine torts can get jaundice, too?
I’m thinking I should just take him in for bloodwork and X-rays. Where do they draw blood from a tortoise? How do they give fluids? ( if at all?)
@Tom @zovick
I would personally take him to the vet asap if he were mine. Make sure it is someone who has experience with tortoises...

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Now he’s eating some cactus! I’m starting to feel like a crazy person! Maybe he just needs more time??‍♀️

It’s OK - I am the same way!! One day Herbie didn’t want to eat and I was in panic mode till I realized he chomped down whole bunch of grass in his enclosure and simply was full.
I think maybe now you teaching him how to get my moms all attention ??

I truly hope he is getting better.
Go ahead vent as much as you need - it helps with stress.

Hugs.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Deep breaths. Brains need oxygen to properly observe, process, analyze, and make decisions.

OK. Mazuri is perfectly fine -- especially when the digestive organs may need something really ground down and simple. Soak them to keep hydration optimal, and continue warm soaks for him 3 times daily so absorption through the vent is possible, even if he doesn't *feel* thirsty. (Helps keep the digestive organs moving as well.)

Animals live by instinct and are very sensitive to vibes around them. Seriously. If you are stressing out, he will start to worry...is there a predator? An earthquake? A flooded river pounding down toward the house?

Step back, deep breath. Observe.

Let him get back to whole leaves and stems when he feels up to it.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
It’s OK - I am the same way!! One day Herbie didn’t want to eat and I was in panic mode till I realized he chomped down whole bunch of grass in his enclosure and simply was full.
I think maybe now you teaching him how to get my moms all attention ??

I truly hope he is getting better.
Go ahead vent as much as you need - it helps with stress.

Hugs.
Thank you so much! I can’t stand to see any of my pets not feel well. I worked at a small animal vet for 35 years so dogs and cats are no problem. This is new territory for me! Lol.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Deep breaths. Brains need oxygen to properly observe, process, analyze, and make decisions.

OK. Mazuri is perfectly fine -- especially when the digestive organs may need something really ground down and simple. Soak them to keep hydration optimal, and continue warm soaks for him 3 times daily so absorption through the vent is possible, even if he doesn't *feel* thirsty. (Helps keep the digestive organs moving as well.)

Animals live by instinct and are very sensitive to vibes around them. Seriously. If you are stressing out, he will start to worry...is there a predator? An earthquake? A flooded river pounding down toward the house?

Step back, deep breath. Observe.

Let him get back to whole leaves and stems when he feels up to it.
Thank you so much! He actually ate some hibiscus and alittle bit of cactus. I think he’s slowly making progress. I think I just panicked. It’s not a money thing taking him to the vet. It’s the stress on him ( or her).

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thank you so much! He actually ate some hibiscus and alittle bit of cactus. I think he’s slowly making progress. I think I just panicked. It’s not a money thing taking him to the vet. It’s the stress on him ( or her).

The only kind of progress reptiles make is Slow. lol

As long as it's Forward progress, that's fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are good signs.

Did you do the bathtub thing? I think he may have had a blockage. The bathtub/tortoise treadmill will help it pass. Just like a horse with colic that wants to lay down, you have to make it get up and move.