Torn on which tortoise - healthy adoption or Craigslist rescue

OrangeBlossom

Location (City and/or State)
Newnan, GA
Hey all. this is probably dumb. I'm posting anyway. I have two choices of possible tortoise, which were supposed to be a Christmas gift for my daughter.
I was going to buy one off Craigslist that comes with a cracked aquarium (which I now know is not even what I want). for $150. He's cute in the picture, but hasn't had lights on him for two weeks. The guy has the lights, which need new bulbs, in storage. He says he only needs lights for heat, and the tank is heated. So who knows when the last time this poor guy got UVB is.

So I went to Petco. They stupidly put two Russians in one space, and one bit the other. The bit one is in the back recuperating. His foot looks terrible but they say it's going to look much better. He's been getting regular vet care, shots, etc. Once he is cleared by the vet he can be "adopted" for just $20. This is exciting for me. I'll have more to spend on a better enclosure, better lights, all that stuff. I also figure - he's been seen by the vet, and is probably the healthiest tortoise I could get. he's also quite a bit smaller than the Craigslist tortoise. He was supposed to go to the vet today and possibly be cleared by the reptile vet wasn't there, so he's going Tuesday. I think waiting a few days after Christmas is ok. The one that bit him looks mean. . . and he has a lot of dry flaky skin around his neck and he was kinda stinky. . I don't want him.

Part of me wants to rescue the other guy. But I don't want my first (and probably only) tort to be sick or something. I worry about the Craigslist one. I also worry about the seller who seems pretty sketchy. Anyway, there's my long unnecessary rambling intro. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Go with your gut. Neither place is the best to get one from.
Going without uvb for a couple weeks isn't that bad. The one with a bite on its foot isn't that bad either as long as the vet knows what he's doing and it's completely healed when you get him.
Neither one is that great or that bad so go with the one you like the best of your gut tells you to go with.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
One thing you should consider is that both tortoises might have health problems caused by poor care, that may be irreversible. There are breeders that you could get a healthier tort from.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Gonna toss this in to the mix.
I get that here we are only two days before Christmas. And you want to give the tortoise to her on the right day. But consider this -

A pet like a tortoise could live almost her entire life. Some longer. The initial cost & wait is very little to consider when measured against the time you have them.

It is important that you start with a healthy animal. One who is active, growing , eating & has the best chance to avoid costing you expensive vet bills or the heartbreak of losing him.

Many folks here have taken torts off craigslist & you never know what your getting. The idea of
a “ rescue” is noble , but for a child I would much more concerned with a good start & health.

You could ...
Gift her with equipment first , work with her to learn all about setting up a quality environment. Take your time & take her with you to pick out a tortoise when it’s all set up & right for the species your getting.
Use the whole endeavor as a learning project.

OrangeBlossom

Newnan, GA
Thanks all y'all! I had a good talk with her and she understands we won't be having one by Christmas but as long as it is coming soon she is ok! We may go visit the convalescing tort.

Now I'm worried, though, because she has unreasonable expectations of what a tortoise is as a pet. I may make a new thread.
She wants to "play" with it. She said she wants to snuggle with it and sleep with it. I told her - NO.
I said she can feed it by hand, and pet it, and go outside and "play" with it. Maybe even have it sit on her sometimes.
She wants to have it sit with her in her fort and watch YouTube. Is that even an option? Sheesh.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Sounds like she might want a mammal instead of a reptile. My redfoot was from a family that lost interest in her (two young girls), so she ended up neglected and not properly taken care of. She does not snuggle, her poops are huge and stinky, she needs constant heat and humidity so taking her out of her tank isn't the best thing to do, and she likes to hide and relax all day. It will take time for the tortoise to not be afraid of you, and I personally am having trouble finding a sitter for when I go on vacation. I just don't trust anyone to take care of her properly or even find anyone that cares.

Keep in mind these pets are for life. Maybe you should look into a cat, dog, hamster, hedgehog, bunny, guinea pig, or small birds(get them in pairs)?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I also wouldn't trust the pet store when they say the tortoise has been looked at by a vet.

My water turtle came from a pet smart with a vet clinic attached, and he was on the brink of death vomiting blood and parasite ridden with burns on his shell and nails falling off.

OrangeBlossom

Newnan, GA
Keep in mind these pets are for life. Maybe you should look into a cat, dog, hamster, hedgehog, bunny, guinea pig, or small birds(get them in pairs)?[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, I have thought the same thing. We have cats and always have. Her kitten grew up into a crazy, biting, scratching non-snuggling hellion. Maybe this is part of the problem. She has asked for a new kitten. . . maybe that is the way to go.

I think cat ownership pretty much negates the rodents and the birds, though i would do a hamster or guinea pig if she wanted.

I dunno. She's been asking for a "turtle" for a year now. I had planned on going aquatic until I started researching. I am now totally enamored with the torts :) We will talk about it some more.

alienlogic.salas

US
Keep in mind these pets are for life. Maybe you should look into a cat, dog, hamster, hedgehog, bunny, guinea pig, or small birds(get them in pairs)?

Ah yes, I have thought the same thing. We have cats and always have. Her kitten grew up into a crazy, biting, scratching non-snuggling hellion. Maybe this is part of the problem. She has asked for a new kitten. . . maybe that is the way to go.

I think cat ownership pretty much negates the rodents and the birds, though i would do a hamster or guinea pig if she wanted.

I dunno. She's been asking for a "turtle" for a year now. I had planned on going aquatic until I started researching. I am now totally enamored with the torts :) We will talk about it some more.[/QUOTE]Sounds like this is not the right pet. Turles/tortoises are not snuggle pets. They shouldn't be handled too much and by that I mean very little handling. My Son wanted a puppy for 2 years when he was young. Got him the puppy and he couldn't Handel the responsibility. Safe to say I sold the puppy. Got him a cat and he totally loved it no taking out no clean per and poop off the floor no training.
At this point I really feel like you really want the tortoise and not so much your daughter. Just think what's fare for you daughter may not be fare for the tortoise.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Thanks all y'all! I had a good talk with her and she understands we won't be having one by Christmas but as long as it is coming soon she is ok! We may go visit the convalescing tort.

Now I'm worried, though, because she has unreasonable expectations of what a tortoise is as a pet. I may make a new thread.
She wants to "play" with it. She said she wants to snuggle with it and sleep with it. I told her - NO.
I said she can feed it by hand, and pet it, and go outside and "play" with it. Maybe even have it sit on her sometimes.
She wants to have it sit with her in her fort and watch YouTube. Is that even an option? Sheesh.
It really sounds as if a puppy or kitten my prove to be a more realistic pet for your daughter. It the two of you are truly set on a tortoise as a "pet" I would challenge you and your daughter to read-up or various tortoises and their proper care. Tortoises aren't pets in the traditional sense. Acquiring one as their steward requires the knowledge of and acceptance of the care of these special animals. Tortoises come from all over the world and therefore require care imitating their natural environments as closely as possible. Humidity, diet, lighting and more are all serious issues when adopting a tortoise. Did you realize that the diminutive juvenile Sulcata that you may purchase today may grow to more than 150 lb. by the time your daughter goes to college? Tortoise care requires stewardship responsibility: tortoises are not cuddly housepets. They should not be taken outside as "playmates". Talk with your daughter and decide if what she has is more of an infatuation, or the decision to accept the responsibility of a Chelan, ie tortoise. Merry Christmas.

alienlogic.salas

US
Your daughter I'm sorry to say has unrealistic expectations a turtoise is not a snuggle pet. Many carry salmonella and even a reptile for of viral herpies.and possibly other germs. That's why most herp. Keepers wash their hands after touching their reptiles. She is better off with a cat. Or other mammal.
Getting her a tortoise will end in disaster for the tortoise and possible doctor visit for your daughter.

alienlogic.salas

US
Your daughter I'm sorry to say has unrealistic expectations a turtoise is not a snuggle pet. Many carry salmonella and even a reptile for of viral herpies.and possibly other germs. That's why most herp. Keepers wash their hands after touching their reptiles. She is better off with a cat. Or other mammal.
Getting her a tortoise will end in disaster for the tortoise and possible doctor visit for your daughter.
I truly agree with an earlier comment that you should both study the care and maintenance of said species before a purchase. Its a life long responsibility. I have two tortoises myself I'm 62 and have in mind what needs to be done when I die. But I'm going to hang on for as long as I can!!!! I have a Russian and a Hermann's I love them both. But they are NOT CUDDLE BUDDIES!!! BEST LEAVE THAT FOR A CAT DOG OR GUENNIE PIG

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

I dunno. She's been asking for a "turtle" for a year now. I had planned on going aquatic until I started researching. I am now totally enamored with the torts :) We will talk about it some more.
Hamsters spend their whole lives trying to escape. Guinea pigs are docile and willing to be cuddled but are easily stressed. I know of one young lady who took her guinea pig into the bathtub with her and it died. Also, hamsters and guinea pigs have short lives so your daughter might have to deal with a loss sooner.

Another kitten mind end up just like the last.

Most cuddly pets need a lot of patience and care to remain cuddly.

alienlogic.salas

US
I been asking for things my mother could not afford. But I learned that not all things ask for are granted. As much as we love them, we have to be rational too

Alaskamike

South Florida
As a young boy I always had pets ;dogs, cats, snakes, turtles, a raccoon, a toad , fish, monkey, even kept a praying mantis for awhile.
But , for companionship reptiles are close to bottom of the list (just above the praying mantis )

I don’t know your daughters age , nor what your living situation is. But of all the animals my dog stands out. Explored the woods together , sat his big butt on my lap on the couch , snuggled with me when I was sick or sad , was always happy to see me come home from school. For companionship , I don’t think you can do better than a dog. The come in all sizes & temperments. And dog pounds often have puppies.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I think tortoises are great pets. Once you provide everything that they need, they are fairly easy to care for. Cuddly would not be a word I'd use for tortoises though. I agree with most others here, finding one that has been cared for properly and healthy would be better than rescuing a sick one. If you decide on getting one for her, you are at the right place to research how to properly care for one. There are plenty of people here who will help you with questions that you may have.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Too many great posts here to mention.
But the hamster post was funny to me. Funny and true.
One of my step daughters kept hamsters. They would get really tame and stopped escaping right about the same time that they died....Of old age....at 2.5 years old.
NOT a good pet.
Get a puppy or a kitten and get ready to take care of it yourself when she quickly loses interest in it.
We must remember being kids ourselves.

Bee62

Germany
The main thing is that no animal wants or likes to be a toy that must play when the child wants to play with it !
Your daughter had a kitten that turns into a scratching "monster" cat ? I could imagine the reason....
When you want a tortoise and when you buy a tortoise make sure that the tort is no toy for your daughter. To watch an animal could be interesting too for a child and the child must learn to respect the needs of an animal.
A doll your daughter can play with, but not with an animal.