Top soil clumping

Chipmunk

Location (City and/or State)
Littlehampton
Hi,
My tortoise’s top soil is clumping. I wasn’t sure if this is normal or if it is because of the water we are spraying? Do we need to declump it or is it ok?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings....”topsoil” is such a generic term, but more importantly top soil is usually not recommended as a good substrate. Orchid Bark, cypress mulch, & coco coir are better & hold moisture well, provide a good footing, not eaten & enables easy localized “spot“ cleaning.

Ps- what kind of tortoise do you have. ? Welcome to the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
My tortoise’s top soil is clumping. I wasn’t sure if this is normal or if it is because of the water we are spraying? Do we need to declump it or is it ok?
You need to replace it with a suitable substrate. Soil should never be used as a tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard waste and could be toxic plants or yard clippings with toxic chemicals applied to them.

What species are you housing? Looks like a Testudo in your avatar. Here is the care info, including substrate info, for them:

Leahkube

Leicestershire
Greetings....”topsoil” is such a generic term, but more importantly top soil is usually not recommended as a good substrate. Orchid Bark, cypress mulch, & coco coir are better & hold moisture well, provide a good footing, not eaten & enables easy localized “spot“ cleaning.

Ps- what kind of tortoise do you have. ? Welcome to the forum.
Sorry just come across this thread. What is coco coir Iv Googled it and it’s comes in a block? Is that right? First time tortoise owner here still learning.