monji

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland
hi everyone,
i would really really appreciate some input ... the top of my russian tortoise's head has turned RED!! i'm really concerned. In terms of behavior, he has been more lethargic and has not been moving very much. lots of sleeping and just staying in the same corner. these past two or so days, he hasn't eaten very much at all either. does anyone know what this could be??? i would really appreciate it :<3: i am really worried.

Attachments

• IMG_4891.jpg
    IMG_4891.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7849.jpg
    IMG_7849.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Could it be dust from dry substrate? In regards to the lethargy please provide a picture of your enclosure along with your temps and what you are feeding so we can see if anything needs tweaking.

monji

Cleveland
Could it be dust from dry substrate? In regards to the lethargy please provide a picture of your enclosure along with your temps and what you are feeding so we can see if anything needs tweaking.
here are some pictures!! temperatures are 80-85 in the non-basking area and around 95 in the basking area. humidity has been a bit high this past week (65%) but usually more around 50-55%. i feed him kale and spring mix, and collard greens if i can find it. substrate is a mix of general zoomed reptile substrate, cypress mulch, coconut coir. do you think the light is too low and burning his head??? he has rarely been moving except when i prod him awake, and quickly goes back into his hiding spot to sleep.

Attachments

• IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7380.jpg
    IMG_7380.jpg
    1,002 KB · Views: 16

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
here are some pictures!! temperatures are 80-85 in the non-basking area and around 95 in the basking area. humidity has been a bit high this past week (65%) but usually more around 50-55%. i feed him kale and spring mix, and collard greens if i can find it. substrate is a mix of general zoomed reptile substrate, cypress mulch, coconut coir. do you think the light is too low and burning his head??? he has rarely been moving except when i prod him awake, and quickly goes back into his hiding spot to sleep.

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum!!!
If you go onto the home page you can type in “Russian Tortoise care sheet” it will tell you all about how to raise a healthy tortoise.
Also there are plenty of brilliant Russian tort owners on here that will tell you exactly what it is... I hope they find this thread soon!!!! Good Luck.
I don’t want to give you advice as I would guess the wrong thing and worry you.
Hang on ... they will be here soon!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
hi everyone,
i would really really appreciate some input ... the top of my russian tortoise's head has turned RED!! i'm really concerned. In terms of behavior, he has been more lethargic and has not been moving very much. lots of sleeping and just staying in the same corner. these past two or so days, he hasn't eaten very much at all either. does anyone know what this could be??? i would really appreciate it :<3: i am really worried.

Please take a look at this thread maybe it will help.

monji

Cleveland
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum!!!
If you go onto the home page you can type in “Russian Tortoise care sheet” it will tell you all about how to raise a healthy tortoise.
Also there are plenty of brilliant Russian tort owners on here that will tell you exactly what it is... I hope they find this thread soon!!!! Good Luck.
I don’t want to give you advice as I would guess the wrong thing and worry you.
Hang on ... they will be here soon!!
Thank you, I hope so too!! I really appreciate it :tort::)

Happytort27

CA
Please take a look at this updated care sheet. Make the correct adjustments if needed. It’ll most likely answer some of your questions.

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hi, I think if you trim his beak it could help. The beak looks over grown. Feed him in a terra cotta dish, or on a rough surface like slate. It will help keep it trimmed
What have you been feeding him on? If it's been tough for him to eat, I could see why and I think it irritates the top and maybe through-out the beak.
How long have you had your tortoise? he looks very cool.....Welcome to the forum....

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you, I hope so too!! I really appreciate it :tort::)

Hello there!
Happy Monday????
Did that come out of my mouth???
Ok... no more coffee for me today.
I just wanted to welcome you again and find out how is your tortoise doing?
Any info on the redness on his head??
It is probably from growing up... we all change right?
Ok then.. text when you can with up dates.
I hope the right people found your thread and are here to help.
Have a great day..! ?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Please really read and pay attention to the care sheet provided, your enclosure is really small and the diet needs to be improved. If you have the means it would really benefit from an outdoor enclosure for the Spring/Summer, they really thrive outdoors. Also please check out the recommended lighting your enclosure appears to be pretty dark. I don't see that you have a water dish in your enclosure they need access to water at all times, are you soaking at least once a week? In regards to the color of it's head I do believe it is just dust from dry substrate, if you look at it's legs the crevices are the same color as it's head. These substrates can get pretty dusty I would spray down the enclosure or soak some of the substrate in a bucket to add moisture. Lastly, Russians are exceptional climbers I would remove the 2 huts you have in there they are a climbing and tipping hazards. Good luck.