Too Many Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Zouave said:
Neal said:
Sorry, for some reason I thought I saw this thread in the debateable section.
Zouave Wrote:

No sorries necessary, we can discuss like adults. :)“Then i suppose this format isn't for you and you should post however you feel comfortable,
Change is scary, i know”

Ok .. in my Adult voice, "Z" the forum is fine just as it is, I suggest if you feel there are too many threads, or pics...Then DONT READ/LOOK at them! There are planty other
" tort" forums you can " organize" , all we need is " more organization" in life, this is a place to learn , laugh , and share our love for torts....rather it be pictures, debates, or just plain stories. I find it in very poor taste your original post and
" complaint" ...you my friend are the first one to do so in the 2 years I have been here...Josh and the Mods do a wonderful job in running this board. Not to offend you but ....I too, can and will express my thoughts without being so rude.
JD~

River14

5 Year Member
Zouave said:
My only problem is 8 - 10 threads for the same topic/animal pics.

Yes absolutely, post in the proper fora all i'm sayin is keep up your original threads instead of starting new ones. This is Forum Posting 101. Basic stuff.

Agree

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
I agree. On other forums, I would never open a new thread to give an update - just continue the original thread.
But here it might be that people wouldn't look at "longer" threads, thinking, that there are no new pictures, but only new comments?

I personally would enjoy more to look at picture-threads that are updated regularly instead of seeing just 1, 2 or 5 pictures of the same tort (taken on the same day) and that's it. It's much more interesting to see the pictures in a sequence and also notice changes or just enjoy a lot of pictures in the same thread of the same tortoise without having to search for it. :D

I do, for example, want to compare my star to other stars (and get an idea how she'll look like as she grows up). I have to search through 100 different threads - threads like "show us your stars" are great :D

Especially if it's an update on the progress on an enclosure or growth of a tortoise, then it would be so much easier just to see it right in the same thread.

Although I think, everyone should do what is convenient for him/her. I'm glad this topic came up. I suggest everyone does like he/her prefers it. I am soon gonna open a photo-thread for my tortoise and update it regularly. I hope some other members are going to start that as well. :)

Mina

River14

5 Year Member
Stars grow by magic. You can talk about them as hatchlings when they are already a year old hahahha.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I see the problem with this idea as being : less threads = more posts per thread. I don't like wading through pages and pages, and usually won't, my attention span won't allow it. I like the general pictures category because it gives me a chance to see things I wouldn't normally look at. I look at lots of sulcata and other tort pics there, but rarely browse all the other sections. I don't think that people use the SEARCH button nearly enough, and I have rarely seen someone tell a new member to check it. Most of the new questions could be answered if they were searched. Forums I have been on in the past will tell you "That's been asked and answered a million times - use the SEARCH button.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
N2TORTS said:
Zouave said:
Neal said:
Zouave Wrote:

No sorries necessary, we can discuss like adults. :)“Then i suppose this format isn't for you and you should post however you feel comfortable,
Change is scary, i know”

Ok .. in my Adult voice, "Z" the forum is fine just as it is, I suggest if you feel there are too many threads, or pics...Then DONT READ/LOOK at them! There are planty other
" tort" forums you can " organize" , all we need is " more organization" in life, this is a place to learn , laugh , and share our love for torts....rather it be pictures, debates, or just plain stories. I find it in very poor taste your original post and
" complaint" ...you my friend are the first one to do so in the 2 years I have been here...Josh and the Mods do a wonderful job in running this board. Not to offend you but ....I too, can and will express my thoughts without being so rude.
JD~
Clearly you didn't get the point of this thread but others seem to so I will say this.

Thank you for the invitation to leave but I'm already at the best Tortoise Forum on the net and am only trying to make it better for all those n00bs (like myself) that want to learn as much as possible. I wasn't going to single anyone out but you sir are an excellent example of what I am talking about. You have beautiful torts, take amazing pics and are obviously very knowledgeable but i often only know that I'm looking at a redfoot and nothing else as you don't give any info. Don't know how large/old/gender/date/menu/etc. here's an example http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-SAY-AHHHHH#axzz1RQB1oepe Great pix! But no info. If you had the style of thread I am describing then you could have all that info in the opening post and then just drop in pix anytime you wanted. But that's completely up to you as you can post anyway, anytime you like.

As for my complaint, again i apologize if you didn't get the humour and if i could edit the OP then i would. The fact that,"you my friend are the first one to do so in the 2 years I have been here", means very little. Maybe I'm the only one to care enough to take the time to say what others are thinking. Maybe these concerns have been discussed privately. Or maybe i'm the only one stubborn enough to talk it out with other stubborn users. Regardless, if folks are serious about helping new keepers and and enthusiasts then there really is no valid argument against what I'm suggesting. The only thing anyone can say is that it is their personal preference to post random pix in random threads with zero info for the reader and ofc you/I /we are free to do that no matter what.

Anyway, I think enough people have gotten my point and unless there are some more valid arguments or what have you, I don't think i need to respond or apologize anymore as we are just going in circles.

Thanks for reading and considering this thread everyone!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Zouave said:
N2TORTS said:
Zouave said:
Neal said:
Zouave Wrote:

Change is scary, i know”

JD~
Clearly you didn't get the point of this thread but others seem to so I will say this.

Thank you for the invitation to leave but I'm already at the best Tortoise Forum on the net and am only trying to make it better for all those n00bs (like myself) that want to learn as much as possible. I wasn't going to single anyone out but you sir are an excellent example of what I am talking about. You have beautiful torts, take amazing pics and are obviously very knowledgeable but i often only know that I'm looking at a redfoot and nothing else as you don't give any info. Don't know how large/old/gender/date/menu/etc. here's an example http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-SAY-AHHHHH#axzz1RQB1oepe Great pix! But no info. If you had the style of thread I am describing then you could have all that info in the opening post and then just drop in pix anytime you wanted. But that's completely up to you as you can post anyway, anytime you like.

As for my complaint, again i apologize if you didn't get the humour and if i could edit the OP then i would. The fact that,"you my friend are the first one to do so in the 2 years I have been here", means very little. Maybe I'm the only one to care enough to take the time to say what others are thinking. Maybe these concerns have been discussed privately. Or maybe i'm the only one stubborn enough to talk it out with other stubborn users. Regardless, if folks are serious about helping new keepers and and enthusiasts then there really is no valid argument against what I'm suggesting. The only thing anyone can say is that it is their personal preference to post random pix in random threads with zero info for the reader and ofc you/I /we are free to do that no matter what.

Anyway, I think enough people have gotten my point and unless there are some more valid arguments or what have you, I don't think i need to respond or apologize anymore as we are just going in circles.

Thanks for reading and considering this thread everyone!

Maybe learn more about your torts and share that info, than trying to organize a forum, and your right I dont give advice very often, it causes "havoc" sometimes in a public forum, but always available thru PM. I have studied Herps for 40 years + , have had just about every species on the planet so I could flood you with advice if need be. Instead I stick to pics and fun comments to make everyone have a wonderful day , If I want complaints or bitching about something... I go to work! You may voice your opinon like everyone else , and I dont think no one has the balls to try and change things , fact of the matter " they dont need changing". Something I learned years ago .... " sometimes pictures are better than words"

JD~

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
maggie3fan said:
I personally like TFO just the way it is now. When I came here is was one certain way and that's why I stayed. Now several people are trying to get different things changed because other forums have things a certain way.
Well, I say TFO works this way and we should leave it this way...have as many threads as you want. That's one of the fun things about it here...

I could not agree more with Maggie :)

I also have to add that when I open a thead in the pics section, that is what I want to see TORTS TORTS AND MORE TORTS :). I am not looking for infos about species, their diets, gender... I only want to see torts :cool:. If the OP wants to include a story that goes with the pics, like Magge does with Bob well that is sooo cool too and I love it too :D.

River14

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
I see the problem with this idea as being : less threads = more posts per thread. I don't like wading through pages and pages, and usually won't, my attention span won't allow it. I like the general pictures category because it gives me a chance to see things I wouldn't normally look at. I look at lots of sulcata and other tort pics there, but rarely browse all the other sections. I don't think that people use the SEARCH button nearly enough, and I have rarely seen someone tell a new member to check it. Most of the new questions could be answered if they were searched. Forums I have been on in the past will tell you "That's been asked and answered a million times - use the SEARCH button.

Ok lets see. The best plant for carbos? 75% carbo 20 protein and 5% fat on average dry or wet, so.....? Besides grass?

Sorry i never was directed to the search button on this. It seems to me to be one big load of carbos, easily digested...... or no? See diets and info are constantly changing. But carbos are rather important I have discovered. Root veg? Or what the hell would they eat in the wild to cover 75% carbo.

Thanks meantime. Might it be roots they dig up in the wild or simply what? They seem to love more tahn the green bits, but then I also have not searched that either?

Thanks yagujubei. Im wondering if grass wet based mass is indeed enough carbo? Im not one for complications so lets hope its part of the poor things natural diet in the wilds.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
As most may know I am not very good with computers. I have tried other forums and they were too confusing. This forum was user friendly even for a person that is some what new to computers.
I like it the way it is. If Josh doesn't mind all the threads then I see no reason for change. I came here a person who took in hatchlings out of pitty and knew nothing about their care. After searching for info and getting more and more confused I found TFO. It was easy to use, full of good info and everyone was willing to answer my questions. It works and doesn't need change.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't have a problem with the threads, I just hate opening up a thread that the specific user already posted a "similiar" picture of. Like here's my tortoises enclosure, now here it is today, and here it is tomorrow lol.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
SnakeyeZ said:
I don't have a problem with the threads, I just hate opening up a thread that the specific user already posted a "similiar" picture of. Like here's my tortoises enclosure, now here it is today, and here it is tomorrow lol.

No one noticed my thread...I posted new pictures in the original thread I created :(

something GREW in my enclosure so that's why I took pictures of it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Fernando said:
SnakeyeZ said:

No one noticed my thread...I posted new pictures in the original thread I created :(

something GREW in my enclosure so that's why I took pictures of it.

I just saw the pictures you posted in the an original thread, if I didn't read your post here I would have thought you just responded to someones post and wouldn't have looked at it. Now I know you added more photo's..:D:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have another OCD member! Welcome to the club Z.

Haha. I'm just funnin'.

I see nothing wrong with suggestions for improvement. We can all just take it or leave it...
No need for anyone to get upset about it.

Personally, I think the whole point of being here is to have fun and talk about torts with other like-minded tort fanatics. I'm glad that we each have the freedom to do our threads and posts however we like.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Angi said:
As most may know I am not very good with computers. I have tried other forums and they were too confusing. This forum was user friendly even for a person that is some what new to computers.
I like it the way it is. If Josh doesn't mind all the threads then I see no reason for change. I came here a person who took in hatchlings out of pitty and knew nothing about their care. After searching for info and getting more and more confused I found TFO. It was easy to use, full of good info and everyone was willing to answer my questions. It works and doesn't need change.

I absolutely agree!

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Would be cool to udate a title of a thread. You start out with "My tortosie pics" and maybe you started that on Jan1 2011 then on Feb 1 2011 you updated pics. You could then change the title to "My tortoise pics updated 2/1/11". and so on and so on. This is what has stopped me from starting a growth comparison/chart thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure if everyone has this capability, but in my case (moderator) I can find the title I want to change, point to it and hold down the left (not just a click, but hold it down) mouse button, then it allows the change.

If non-mod members can't do this, any of the mods would be happy to change titles for you.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
I'm not sure if everyone has this capability, but in my case (moderator) I can find the title I want to change, point to it and hold down the left (not just a click, but hold it down) mouse button, then it allows the change.

If non-mod members can't do this, any of the mods would be happy to change titles for you.

No I don't believe we have that option. Only mod tools.

Can you change my recent post to say something similar to what Onarock mentioned, please? Pictures from this Morning (updated 07/07/11)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
onarock said:
Would be cool to udate a title of a thread. You start out with "My tortosie pics" and maybe you started that on Jan1 2011 then on Feb 1 2011 you updated pics. You could then change the title to "My tortoise pics updated 2/1/11". and so on and so on. This is what has stopped me from starting a growth comparison/chart thread.

Good idea! :D

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Those who want to update a picture thread regularly, could also mention it in the threat title
e.g.
"My Enclosure (updated regularly)"
I often don't look in picture threads, cause I think it's only a new comment posted, and not a new picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.