Too Many Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
sign_caution_blk_lg-3.gif

I love seeing a million pics of everyones torts as much anyone but do we really need to start a new thread for every new photo? DO WE!!! lol Seriously, it gets to be like spam! lol

Why not start a thread with the name of your tort and keep updating it with new pics? Firstly there would be far less threads to check up on and the reader won't have to search out your ancient threads to see the progression of growth and neither will you. Ofcourse it may get long but then you can retire that thread and start a "Part II" with a link to the original in the opening post.

Edit: While we're at it, please try to continue a thread topic you have already started instead of starting a new thread to "Update". You can search your own threads in the user CP. Or atleast put a link to the original thread. If it's important enough to you that you want to share then make it easy for the reader to follow along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

An organized forum is a happy forum :rolleyes:

River14

5 Year Member
Problem with search is that new discoveries are always been made, we are as thick as what we know right? ( :

Simply posting your tort pic under the breed headings should be OK? Right. I've just managed to take pics of my Stars. And I will post them under Strs? Okey.

About updates Im not sure they will live that long but goodness me if they do I will again post them under Stars

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
River14 said:
Problem with search is that new discoveries are always been made, we are as thick as what we know right? ( :

Simply posting your tort pic under the breed headings should be OK? Right. I've just managed to take pics of my Stars. And I will post them under Strs? Okey.

About updates Im not sure they will live that long but goodness me if they do I will again post them under Stars

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't understand your post.

River14

5 Year Member
Ooops, ok I think posting pictures under the specific breed fora is OK. This is where I will post my Stars under Asian....Stars. And again when they are a little older. Surely this isnt a problem for Zo who seems to have a problem with udates and present torts etc.?

Sorry anything else you dont understand just ask. "We are as thick as what we know", means our knowledge up to any point even the immediate is as ignorant as we are, in other words tomorrow the information might be all wrong. So dont ever stop questioning others or your own knowledge, be open to change as it might be staring you in the face.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
My only problem is 8 - 10 threads for the same topic/animal pics.

Yes absolutely, post in the proper fora all i'm sayin is keep up your original threads instead of starting new ones. This is Forum Posting 101. Basic stuff.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I wish there was a place we could just put pics on our own page, I have to delete old pics to add new, so I don't understand how I would just keep adding. When I delete the old they are deleted from everywhere on here. So I guess I don't really understand the post either. I kinda wish there was a better way to save pics or bigger storage.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
wrmitchell22 said:
I wish there was a place we could just put pics on our own page, I have to delete old pics to add new, so I don't understand how I would just keep adding. When I delete the old they are deleted from everywhere on here. So I guess I don't really understand the post either. I kinda wish there was a better way to save pics or bigger storage.
http://photobucket.com/
http://tinypic.com/
http://imageshack.us/
etc.

Just make an account and off you go. Adjust user settings to make pics "private" (not easily searchable). Remember, there is no private on the net. If you post it, it's out there whether uploaded to TFO or these other sites.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The problem is the comments. Not that I have anything against them, I actually like them, but you start a thread with pictures or an update and you'll get a bunch of "oh what a cutie", and things along those lines. If you continued to add pictures to that thread, I think they would get lost and the whole thread would be confusing. When I look at pictures I want to click on the title of the thread and look at the pictures as quickly as possible which are usually in the first post. I don't want to sit there and go through pages of posts to find the new pictures.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Neal said:
The problem is the comments. Not that I have anything against them, I actually like them, but you start a thread with pictures or an update and you'll get a bunch of "oh what a cutie", and things along those lines. If you continued to add pictures to that thread, I think they would get lost and the whole thread would be confusing. When I look at pictures I want to click on the title of the thread and look at the pictures as quickly as possible which are usually in the first post. I don't want to sit there and go through pages of posts to find the new pictures.

That is an excellent point and we are lucky to have a "Last Post" link listed on the far right of the thread titles. Click that link and you are taken to the last post in the thread. :)

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Zouave said:
wrmitchell22 said:
http://photobucket.com/
http://tinypic.com/
http://imageshack.us/
etc.

Just make an account and off you go. Adjust user settings to make pics "private" (not easily searchable). Remember, there is no private on the net. If you post it, it's out there whether uploaded to TFO or these other sites.

Very cool, thanks :D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Even then, it's easier for me to see what I want to see just by clicking on the thread title and looking at the first post. That extra click is a little too much for me :p. And even with that, you'll get more comments after the updated pictures so there may still be some searching involved.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Neal said:
Even then, it's easier for me to see what I want to see just by clicking on the thread title and looking at the first post. That extra click is a little too much for me :p. And even with that, you'll get more comments after the updated pictures so there may still be some searching involved.

Then i suppose this format isn't for you and you should post however you feel comfortable. Even though there is no extra click, either click the thread title to go to the first post or click Last Post to go there. Also, you will have to search even harder to see an older pic of the same animal or info on the same topic.

I am not asking this to be a forum wide rule just saying that it is pretty common forum etiquette to keep up your threads and not make "Dupes" constantly. This works very well in many different forums and there is no reason some of us can't do it here.

Change is scary, i know. :p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry, for some reason I thought I saw this thread in the debateable section.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Neal said:
Sorry, for some reason I thought I saw this thread in the debateable section.

No sorries necessary, we can discuss like adults. :)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Neal said:

I agree with Neal... with threads like Tom's about pyramiding it makes sense to keep updating the same thread... but I noticed that if I just wanted to see the pictures over the time of the thread I have to click each page to find them... and for what he is posting it makes a lot of sense to do it this way(and I hope he keeps doing it this way) BUT I think if everyone did that with simple things like pictures and updates I wouldn't bother looking at half of the threads because it would be to much trouble... Especially on a smart phone, as I often use. for ongoing topics such as pyramiding, experiments, a sick tort, or anything else that is a ongoing issue or topic I think yes update the original thread... but if some one wants to post a new picture or a couple comparative pics of their tort, I like it when they post a new thread. Maybe down the road there could be a option for the thread writer to minimize or hide previous comments made by other users when they update a thread with new photos or updates and then when they reader looks at the post they could click a hyper link to show all the previous comments if they choose too. But until then... I personally like that I dont have to wait for multiple pages to load on my phone.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
You mention a last post button-I can't see where that is located?
I'm new to all these forum rules/etiquette etc-sorry

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Tortoise said:
Hi

Think of it as a guideline or suggestion, not a rule. If you need to start a new thread, start one. It's not a breach of etiquette at all:)

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Melly-n-shorty said:
Neal said:

I agree with Neal... with threads like Tom's about pyramiding it makes sense to keep updating the same thread... but I noticed that if I just wanted to see the pictures over the time of the thread I have to click each page to find them... and for what he is posting it makes a lot of sense to do it this way(and I hope he keeps doing it this way) BUT I think if everyone did that with simple things like pictures and updates I wouldn't bother looking at half of the threads because it would be to much trouble... Especially on a smart phone, as I often use. for ongoing topics such as pyramiding, experiments, a sick tort, or anything else that is a ongoing issue or topic I think yes update the original thread... but if some one wants to post a new picture or a couple comparative pics of their tort, I like it when they post a new thread. Maybe down the road there could be a option for the thread writer to minimize or hide previous comments made by other users when they update a thread with new photos or updates and then when they reader looks at the post they could click a hyper link to show all the previous comments if they choose too. But until then... I personally like that I dont have to wait for multiple pages to load on my phone.
Click "Last Post" and you will be taken to the last post in the thread, no multiple pages. Or, if you have visited that thread before you can click the "-->" (arrow) button next to the thread title and it will (atleast it is supposed too) take you to the last page/post you viewed in that thread.

Tortoise said:
Hi
Look all the way to the right of any thread title in any forum or search. The "Previously Viewed Arrow" is on the other side.

8cf45357-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.