Too Hot?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi everyone. A heat wave has been "our guest" for the past three consecutive days.:<3: Temperature reaches 36-37 degrees C during the day and drops to 25 at night. Extremely HOT and dry.

I have noticed that Oli :<3: becomes rather inactive when it gets that hot.:( Is this normal or should I be worried? (Well I am worried, I'll admit it).:( He moves from the sun, and retires to the shade for literally HOURS. OK, at times I find him lying down with his hind legs stretched; meaning he's relaxing. Still, the issue is worrying me.

He's eating, pooping and I give him a soak in warm water THREE times a day when temperature is that high! Is it too much? I do not think it is irritating him, however I'd rather be on the safe side. "Better be safe than sorry." :rolleyes:

Your advise/help would be highly appreciated. :)

Thank you. :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi everyone. A heat wave has been "our guest" for the past three consecutive days.:<3: Temperature reaches 36-37 degrees C during the day and drops to 25 at night. Extremely HOT and dry.

I have noticed that Oli :<3: becomes rather inactive when it gets that hot.:( Is this normal or should I be worried? (Well I am worried, I'll admit it).:( He moves from the sun, and retires to the shade for literally HOURS. OK, at times I find him lying down with his hind legs stretched; meaning he's relaxing. Still, the issue is worrying me.

He's eating, pooping and I give him a soak in warm water THREE times a day when temperature is that high! Is it too much? I do not think it is irritating him, however I'd rather be on the safe side. "Better be safe than sorry." :rolleyes:

Your advise/help would be highly appreciated. :)

Thank you. :D
Gillian it's normal for a tort to go dormant for a while whens it's too hot. Nothing to worry about. ;). 27°c over here in the uk today. I need a beer.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Mine hide away for a good part of the afternoon. Is Oli normally active throughout the day?
He's usually very active, but he tends to get into these "moods" (if so I may call them) when it gets as hot as it has been recently.:(

Thanks very much your help.:) Appreciate it. :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gillian it's normal for a tort to go dormant for a while whens it's too hot. Nothing to worry about. ;). 27°c over here in the uk today. I need a beer.
Thanks our help, and your re-assuring words.:D Appreciate both. ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very normal. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure he has shade and water. Also, if he is inside, turn off any heat lights and have the basking light on for less time when it's too hot

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very normal. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure he has shade and water. Also, if he is inside, turn off any heat lights and have the basking light on for less time when it's too hot
All lights are off now. ;) Will that do? He's in the shade, and water is always there.:)

Many thanks your help. :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Gillian, this is perfectly normal.
We get this every year, you and I, Tidgy and Oli.
It's predicted to be 36°C to 41° C here for the next 10 days and has been much the same for months, sometimes hotter.
Of course torts become less active in the heat of the day and even on hot evenings and mornings.
You're doing the right things, shade, showers, cool soaks and hides.
Just don't put Oli onto the hot concrete outside. I wash down the tiles on the terrace repeatedly if Tidgy decides to walk in the sun there, lots of cool water to cool her and the ground before I put her down. Usually, I keep her in the garden or indoors when it's this hot but i know you can't do a garden or cool your outdoor time areas with water, I guess.

Arlenetorturtle

Here in Texas it's gets very hot and dry too, was 102 F last week, keep torts and turtles hydrated and watered down twice daily, with shades and water. I still worry , I did put a tarp up over shelter to help when it's over 102, that gives them double shade! just careful not to block the wind and air flow that they need! They manage during day and come out in morning and evening when I call them!