Too cold in Florida??

Melissacoop

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines, FL
Hi guys!!

So I just recently moved my girl( I think?) about two weeks ago to an outside patio enclosure instead of her heated inside box. She’s used to 82 degrees cool side and 95-100 basking. She has free roam of the patio with yard grass while we are home. So basically we just lock her up when we’re at work and at night. I’m wondering if 75 by night recently is too chilly for her? Her enclosure is on the covered patio with curtains so it does stay alittle warmer than ambient temp. She’s doing good. As soon as we drop the gate she comes barreling out in the morning to go munch and when we get home from work she’s ready to come out and bask in the sun. I was thinking of getting a Kane heat mat for her enclosure to put on the wall next to where she lays? In addition, she doesn’t use the side with the coco anymore. I’m assuming it’s too cool?That side registers about 77 in the thick coco.
Thoughts?? ( I have previously been warned about letting her free roam and I did try to heed the advice but she just paced and paced her outdoor pen we made and we just didn’t like not being social with us as we spend much time on the patio. I know she’s a tortoise but she’s part of our family and we are extremely vigilant about her safety). Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• 33D3AE08-A2B1-42BC-93B4-4BBE637DC03A.jpeg
    33D3AE08-A2B1-42BC-93B4-4BBE637DC03A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 53
  • 87651AA6-5CFC-46A9-946F-1F6C8F232686.jpeg
    87651AA6-5CFC-46A9-946F-1F6C8F232686.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
  • A73020AC-D9D1-4A02-8752-659F01603493.jpeg
    A73020AC-D9D1-4A02-8752-659F01603493.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 341F3E51-EC55-4AD6-A176-B9433D4BEE65.jpeg
    341F3E51-EC55-4AD6-A176-B9433D4BEE65.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 53

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id say that your continued overnight “lows” in the 75 range are too cold. Once in awhile, it’s acceptable, but you have a nice wooden “night box” that would be so very easy to add in a RHP on a thermostat. Once set up, and on a thermostat, you have a nice heated/warm overnight safe spot. You are only a few steps away from a pretty sweet nightbox set up.

PS ➡️➡️ Radiant Heat Panels - https://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you move that box onto the patio? With the hide box on the patio with a heat source, she can choose to go into it if she gets too cold. Then just lock her up in it at night. If the yard is escape proof then she could roam all day.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Yes the box is under the covered patio. We have too many critters to keep her out at night in the yard. I lock her up about 6pm for the night. She goes in the box by herself now. ?

Attachments

• 5706C098-F4DC-422A-A869-BD29192C24A0.jpeg
    5706C098-F4DC-422A-A869-BD29192C24A0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its time for an insulated heated night box now. Like this:

She's quickly getting too big for that heat lamp, and eventually it will start causing damage.

Kane mats go on the floor. No substrate. The Kane mat won't be enough during your occasional winter cold spells. Add a radiant heat panel to the top and run the RHP and Kane mat on the same thermostat. Set the probe far away from the heating elements. Set the thermostat to 80 for spring and fall. 70 for summer. 86 for winter.

The concrete patio is going to be a problem as she gains size. One day you will see little bloody foot prints. It is too abrasive for sulcatas. You'll need to keep her off of the concrete.

That little box is not really big enough for a larger sulcata to be called an enclosure. She needs a large enclosure with opaque sides out in the yard. The whole yard can be made into an enclosure, but then no dogs, no concrete, and be careful to ID any plants she has access to.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
Ok. Thanks. I was trying to do a combo box for during the day ( at most six hours) and night box. She free roams patio/grass area 6-8am and then again 3pm on. I did try to put her in the yard but she hears us and paces constantly and tries to climb out so we gave up. ? I’ll get working on the heated box. Thanks.

Reactions: Tom

ZenHerper

New Jersey

The concrete patio is going to be a problem as she gains size. One day you will see little bloody foot prints. It is too abrasive for sulcatas. You'll need to keep her off of the concrete.

Do you think the rubber surface installations over concrete are strong enough to withstand large tort nails?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think the rubber surface installations over concrete are strong enough to withstand large tort nails?
I don't know what that is, but something like rubber horse stall mats would work to prevent the abrasion, although that might be too hot anytime the sun is out.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I don't know what that is, but something like rubber horse stall mats would work to prevent the abrasion, although that might be too hot anytime the sun is out.
They come in either paint-on sealer:

Or more professional application:

I'm guessing they're available in white or grey, which would ameliorate heat retention.

Reactions: Tom

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
They come in either paint-on sealer:

Or more professional application:

I'm guessing they're available in white or grey, which would ameliorate heat retention.
That’s a great idea!!! Thank you guys as always for the advice. ?