Too bright (not a huge fan of the ceramic)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey Taylorlynn,
I am sorry to bust in like this but thought I could help out .. I’m in NJ and I’m cold too right now but.....
I just bought this dome lamp that has two domes together. And comes WITH THE LIGHTS!! Both uvb AND heat !!
Two for the price of one!!!!....
Ok... maybe one and a half??
It is sold on amazon, Petco, pet smart etc..
Check it out? If you cannot get to return that stuff then get “store credit” and get this set?? It also comes in “ mini” or regular size... Hope this helps ?? Good luck ?

Those are the ones we've been telling her NOT to use. First of all BOTH of those bulbs are bad and should not be used over tortoises. The cfl type UV bulbs are not effective UV sources AND they sometimes burn tortoise eyes. The spot bulbs that come with these combos concentrate too much desiccating heat into too small of an area and cause pyramiding.

When using a CHE to maintain ambient, it needs to be over the middle. When using a basking bulb for heat, that should be over to one side or the other, so the tortoise can move away from it.

These double deep domes are not good for most tortoise housing situations.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ik Tom said not to go to the pet store which in a way I agree with him but I usually get the ceramic bulbs from there because they are hard to find elsewhere. They are what I use for all 12 of my reptiles because I like my house to be dark and like I said before they only give off heat, no light, also they last for years. So the only light my reptiles get is from their sunroof in the winter months alongside their uvb bulbs. And then I move them to their outside enclosures in the summer months (I’m from New Mexico so the only issue I have is humidity but that’s a different story). Sorry I’m making this longer than it needs to be but basically go to the pet store, then the light bulb section, and look for the ceramic bulb. You’ll notice it’s much heavier than a normal bulb.
This is one of the few items that can be found at pet stores that are actually useful. I just hate sending people to the pet store because they will get all sorts of bad advice and come home with the wrong products. I get my CHEs on line from LLLReptile.com.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Oh wow those are cheap thanks for the suggestion! Do u know the quality of them tho? I’m not sure if you saw my other post but mine literally last years from the pet stores so do u know if these are same quality?
I've had two of these going for about 3 years now no problems.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
All of my ceramics I've gotten at Reptile/Exotic Animal expos. Keep a spare or two and good to go. They last a LONG time thankfully.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Those are the ones we've been telling her NOT to use. First of all BOTH of those bulbs are bad and should not be used over tortoises. The cfl type UV bulbs are not effective UV sources AND they sometimes burn tortoise eyes. The spot bulbs that come with these combos concentrate too much desiccating heat into too small of an area and cause pyramiding.

When using a CHE to maintain ambient, it needs to be over the middle. When using a basking bulb for heat, that should be over to one side or the other, so the tortoise can move away from it.

These double deep domes are not good for most tortoise housing situations.
Thanks Tom. Glad you told me. I will be returning stuff once again.... I am looking at your pictures of the bulbs you use and am going to buy them. The long uvb? Right?
It only comes in 5.0 or 10.0 ???
Hope I get this new place right for my tort. She is back to her old self now. She eats she goes to the bathroom , has soaks and is loving her Mazuri AMD veggies.
I bought a new Che and keep it at 27 on a thermostat like you said.. and a timer too!!
Now to get these dam bulb AMD domes right.. I had two but the clamps have broken .. so off I am again ... but I want to get it right this time.. can’t wait to get her outside soon????? No vets any time soon either.
thanks for all of your help (Yvonne too!!)
I will pay close attention to your advice for our future.

Sa Ga

MN
Those bulbs are good for lizards or snakes but bad for tortoises.. they dry out the shell quickly. Get a flood bulb from home depot or walmart and use a tube style uvb
YES! Morla looked like a piece of scaly jerky while I used a mercury vapor bulb (MVB) (like Powersun). I also think it was too hot/bright. I got a reg basking bulb and tube uvb light, and while I was not thrilled about scrapping the MVB, it is what is best for the tort--and your own eyes!

Plus..
.the tube bulbs are half of what an MVB is, so, u will recoup your cost quickly. (And if it hasn't been too long, the store may even exchange them....)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. Glad you told me. I will be returning stuff once again.... I am looking at your pictures of the bulbs you use and am going to buy them. The long uvb? Right?
It only comes in 5.0 or 10.0 ???
Hope I get this new place right for my tort. She is back to her old self now. She eats she goes to the bathroom , has soaks and is loving her Mazuri AMD veggies.
I bought a new Che and keep it at 27 on a thermostat like you said.. and a timer too!!
Now to get these dam bulb AMD domes right.. I had two but the clamps have broken .. so off I am again ... but I want to get it right this time.. can’t wait to get her outside soon????? No vets any time soon either.
thanks for all of your help (Yvonne too!!)
I will pay close attention to your advice for our future.
The 5.0 bulbs produce hardly any UV. Not worth the money. The 10.0 HO T5 tubes make good UV and last a long time too.

You should never use the clamps that come with the fixtures. Those always fail and can lead to disaster. Like burn your house down disaster. Always hang the fixtures from over head. This also allows you to adjust the height to get the correct temp under them.