Tongue Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
Percy has always had a nice pink tongue, but the past two days he has been hiding in a pile of leaves and his tongue looks darker and duller.

Anyone have a clue?

He eats when I put him out by the grass, and he attacked some strawberries I gave him, but he hasn't left his pile of leaves except when I made him.

He has been eating aloe like crazy up until Sunday. It has gotten hotter, and he is looking a little dry so I was going to soak him, but he looked so miserable and he hates it when I soak him so I just put fresh water in his water bowl.

I am really worried. The vet here won't be in town for another week.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not sure, so please don't get to worried, but my vet said a pink tongue is healthy, and a greyish tongue is not. I know when I recieved my sick russian it had a grey tongue. For now just keep an eye on it.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
As an EMT we say pink is good blue is bad.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hopefully it is just something incidental, like a stain from the food he is eating, but be sure and let us know when the vet confirms that.

Percy's a big, strong boy, so let's hope he holds strong till next week.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If he's eating and the rest of his functions are in order...I'm thinking food stain...um what kind of leaves (what tree, bush, etc) because he could be eating them as well?

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
all is well almost - his tongue is still a little off, but I think he has taken to eating something in the yard that makes it a different color

but he took several big healthy poops the other day and sat there looking satisfied with himself, so I'm thinking he's all good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would soak him more often whether he seems to like it or not. Its helps keep them "regular" and moves the poo through them. I can't remember how big he is, but I soak my 40 pounders at least twice a week. More in the summer.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Tom said:
I would soak him more often whether he seems to like it or not. Its helps keep them "regular" and moves the poo through them. I can't remember how big he is, but I soak my 40 pounders at least twice a week. More in the summer.

Yeah...in that 10-gallon tank. I haven't forgotten. Tortoise-torturer.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Tom said:

Percy detests it when I soak him. Since I live in south Louisiana and it rains everyday he gets a good soak. Every now and then if he is dry dry I will soak him, but he really hates when I do that. He freaks out and won't poo or urate with me standing there usually.

He rather me just make a mud puddle he can dig in or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.