Tom’s cactus

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
I was using them to germinate stuff before the weather was nice. Now it’s too hot in there, that area gets full sun all day.

MsParedes

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Atwater CA
Did you start them yourself? I don't have any luck with those cactus'.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Just took some of Toms recommendations and made a long bed (had to use a jack hammer!!) and filled with pebbles and garden soil. Contrary to some literature regarding cactus, I water mine more often. October to February once a week, March-June every other night, then starting end of June every night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its all in the technique. Atwater as in Griffith Park area of CA? If yes, you should have no trouble at all.

Cut a pad off of a mature cactus stand. Best if its one of last year's pads that has overwintered and toughened up. Let the pad sit outside in the shade for a week or two and scar over where it was cut. Next, simply stick the pad with the cut end down into some dry sandy dirt. Bury about a third to half of the pad standing upright.

Now here is where people go wrong. Everyone wants to water it because that's what you do when you plant something new. Not opuntia pads. Don't water it at all for at least one month. Leave it bone dry. After a month, make a basin around the bottom of it and fill the basin with water once or twice a week during the heat of summer, and don't water at all over winter.

The other thing is that your area tends to be well landscaped with lots of trees and lots of greenery. These pads need as much full hot sun as they can get. They won't do well in the shade of a tree.

MsParedes

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Atwater CA
Its all in the technique. Atwater as in Griffith Park area of CA? If yes, you should have no trouble at all.

Cut a pad off of a mature cactus stand. Best if its one of last year's pads that has overwintered and toughened up. Let the pad sit outside in the shade for a week or two and scar over where it was cut. Next, simply stick the pad with the cut end down into some dry sandy dirt. Bury about a third to half of the pad standing upright.

Now here is where people go wrong. Everyone wants to water it because that's what you do when you plant something new. Not opuntia pads. Don't water it at all for at least one month. Leave it bone dry. After a month, make a basin around the bottom of it and fill the basin with water once or twice a week during the heat of summer, and don't water at all over winter.

The other thing is that your area tends to be well landscaped with lots of trees and lots of greenery. These pads need as much full hot sun as they can get. They won't do well in the shade of a tree.
Atwater, Merced county, in the central valley.

MsParedes

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Atwater CA

Ok, I am going to try it. I do have a lot of mature trees, lots of shade, but have 1 sunny spot. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, I am going to try it. I do have a lot of mature trees, lots of shade, but have 1 sunny spot. Thank you.
Grape vines should do well up there too, in hot full sun areas. The grape leaves are excellent tortoise food.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
And flowered

Attachments

• 13FA65AF-C07F-4A1F-88AE-AA56B9C91622.jpeg
    13FA65AF-C07F-4A1F-88AE-AA56B9C91622.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 265D0A3E-247F-480C-873D-F929A6BF993D.jpeg
    265D0A3E-247F-480C-873D-F929A6BF993D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • B069103E-2F82-4648-9A90-AB5E830F040C.jpeg