Today's the day!!!! :-)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
A name just came to mind! Since he is exploring so fearlessly, I was trying to think of a name of a fearless explorer or other naval character. Lord Nelson was a great and fearless British commander, and I like the name Nelson! I also like the name Nellie, if he turns out to be a girl. Besides, the baby's high ridged back resembles the hat that Admiral Nelson wore!!!! :D
So unless some other inspiration strikes, I'm calling him NELSON!!!! :)
There's a female character in Bleach (anime/manga) nicknamed Nel, so that could be a nickname or female form, if you wanted.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO

Lynnee

((( SIGH ))) I haven't even had this little stinker 9 hours, and i'm already having to make adjustments to his tank because of that danged turtle STUBBORNNESS!!!! :rolleyes:
His little faux-rock cave has a doorway in the front and back, and a smaller opening as a sort of window. He goes in and out the doors easily, which SHOULD be good enough, but apparently not: HE WANTS TO CRAWL THROUGH THE WINDOW, TOO!!!! He can NOT fit through the window, :eek: but he KEEPS TRYING. He has tried to push himself through twice from the outside and once from the inside. I'm terrified that he'll get himself WEDGED good and tight into that window opening and will get stuck and drown. We are NOT having another turtle drowning in this house!!!!!!!!!!
So I've pulled out the cave, dried it off and will superglue a couple of large pebbles into that opening. After it sits all night, I'll put it back in the morning. (Maybe I should've named him Dennis the Menace!!! :p )

View attachment 268347
That’s my Russians name

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
A name just came to mind! Since he is exploring so fearlessly, I was trying to think of a name of a fearless explorer or other naval character. Lord Nelson was a great and fearless British commander, and I like the name Nelson! I also like the name Nellie, if he turns out to be a girl. Besides, the baby's high ridged back resembles the hat that Admiral Nelson wore!!!! :D
So unless some other inspiration strikes, I'm calling him NELSON!!!! :)
Welcome Nelson. And congratulations Bea. Nelson looks gorgeous and I cannot wait to read more about little Nelson.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Me: "NELSON! Where WERE you last night??!?!? I couldn't find you ANYWHERE!"
Nelson: "I was there."
Me: But WHERE?"
Nelson: "Just...there."
Me: "Then why didn't I see you?"
Nelson: "The Force."
Me: " 'The Force'??? What 'Force'? "
Nelson: "The Turtle Force."
Me: "What's The Turtle Force?"
Nelson: "I can't say...."

(cont'd)

View attachment 268486

Me: "But why can't you say?"
Nelson: "Because that would be telling...kthanksbye..."
Me: 'WAIT..."

View attachment 268487
Love love love it.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
They get 5-6 inches long.
How big is he/she now? Even if you only did it occasionally, tracking the weight and/or SCL would be interesting, and likely useful, down the road. Longer term, it will help save your sanity when Nelson slows down with growth and activity during the cooler part of the year.

I know when I was doing that (more frequently) with my juvenile box turtle early on, it was amazing to see how fast she grew during her growth spurts. I may still get around to starting a thread on Things My Box Turtle Has Gotten Stuck In. ;)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
That weird water-light refraction thing makes it look like his head is off to the side!
HE'S SO CUTE: KING OF THE MOUNTAIN!!!! :<3::<3::<3:

(and you can see where I glued those 2 pebbles into the window of his cave so he can't wedge himself into it...)

View attachment 268485
Bea, can you show us a wider view of Nelson's 20 long? I'm curious to see where that eggcrate ramp goes... :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
((( SIGH ))) I haven't even had this little stinker 9 hours, and i'm already having to make adjustments to his tank because of that danged turtle STUBBORNNESS!!!! :rolleyes:
His little faux-rock cave has a doorway in the front and back, and a smaller opening as a sort of window. He goes in and out the doors easily, which SHOULD be good enough, but apparently not: HE WANTS TO CRAWL THROUGH THE WINDOW, TOO!!!! He can NOT fit through the window, :eek: but he KEEPS TRYING. He has tried to push himself through twice from the outside and once from the inside. I'm terrified that he'll get himself WEDGED good and tight into that window opening and will get stuck and drown. We are NOT having another turtle drowning in this house!!!!!!!!!!
So I've pulled out the cave, dried it off and will superglue a couple of large pebbles into that opening. After it sits all night, I'll put it back in the morning. (Maybe I should've named him Dennis the Menace!!! :p )

View attachment 268347
We have a cave just like that one. It worked well for Junior when she was younger. Of course, it was used out of water, so that window was not as much of a concern. Then the GCBT outgrew it, and we removed it from the box turtle enclosure.

I was tempted to use that cave with Bold and Pinstripe in the mud turtle enclosure, but I was concerned about Pinstripe wanting to go through that window, and it occurred to me that it wouldn't be too long before Bold got stuck in the bottleneck on the inside of the cave.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Bea, can you show us a wider view of Nelson's 20 long? I'm curious to see where that eggcrate ramp goes... :)

Anne, it is clamped to the end of the tank with a pair of metal lid clamps that are used to hold lids firmly on top of reptile terrariums.
They do rust over time, but they are nice a sturdy for the "egg crate" lighting covers that I use for lots of my tank "furniture." (Please excuse the smudged glass...)

IMG_2438.JPG

Here's a view of the clamps themselves. :

IMG_2439.JPG

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
How big is he/she now? Even if you only did it occasionally, tracking the weight and/or SCL would be interesting, and likely useful, down the road. Longer term, it will help save your sanity when Nelson slows down with growth and activity during the cooler part of the year.

I know when I was doing that (more frequently) with my juvenile box turtle early on, it was amazing to see how fast she grew during her growth spurts. I may still get around to starting a thread on Things My Box Turtle Has Gotten Stuck In. ;)

Good idea!
I'll start weighing and measuring him when I clean the tank, which is weekly (ummm...more or less weekly...[emoji38])