To URATE or to NOT URATE??

TortSpeed

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
Again... I read many threads on urates, and the right consistency, the amount, frequency, and not clear on this.

Can someone tell us the basics...

How often should we see the urates?? and is produced because of too much protein or dehydration?

The consistency should be similar to toothpaste? Not too gritty?

kazjimmy

baldwin park
You will see the urates from time to time. A sulcata tortoise will always have urates. However after they got bigger like 3 years old, when they reach the outside environment , they revive more humidity than their enclosure. They will be fine.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
This is my understanding of urates. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong...

Urates are the natural by-product (waste) after the tortoise has digested protein, and as such are normal to see in the urine.

The problem comes when the urates aren't peed out quickly enough. A diet too high in protein is generally the culprit. Then, since torts hold their urine for long times, or are in a dry spell with little water available, it gives the urates enough time laying in the bladder to form bladder stones, which can become very large, eventually blocking the bladder, requiring surgery, or causing a horrible death for the tortoise.

Large amounts of urates is an indication that too much protein is being fed, or the tort is dry, allowing the urates to accumulate. Grittiness is the very beginning of the stone making process.

If you see lots of urates when your tort pees in his soak, try to identify what he is eating that is high in protein, and cut back on it. That will cut down the production of the urates. Then soak, soak, soak! Really good hydration is needed to flush the bladder. That will lessen the chance for stones.

But remember that urates are normal. Don't panic every time you see a bit of white in the pee.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Again... I read many threads on urates, and the right consistency, the amount, frequency, and not clear on this.

Can someone tell us the basics...

How often should we see the urates?? and is produced because of too much protein or dehydration?

The consistency should be similar to toothpaste? Not too gritty?
Karen spelled it out very well. :)

Personally, I don't worry too much about the protein content of the foods I feed, and I actually try to feed some higher protein foods occasionally like alfalfa, clover, broadleaf plantain, raw green beans, etc... What I worry about and work to prevent is dehydration. Stone formation is just one of many potential problems from dehydration, so I work to keep them soaked and well hydrated, and don't give too much thought to the protein content of the food.

There are far too many variables to give an estimate of how often to expect to see urates. Some people never see them, while other people see them every other day. It just depends on so many factors. If you see them infrequently and your tortoise is well hydrated, that is a good sign that all is well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think along the same as Tom.
Also, like Tom said, some people see them some don't. I have never seen them with my leopards, most people don't, but some do. I see them a lot with my Russian.
If your feed a good varied diet and doing good hydration, don't worry about them.