To Soak or not to Soak...?

dreamtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I know there are varied opinions on soaking tortoises, but I had a different kind of question. If you soaked your tort for a while every other day, could you not put a water bowl in the enclosure?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Water should always be available, yes. Soaking depends on the size and age, as well as whether or not the individual tortoise self soaks or not. Babies should be soaked daily. Older torts less, especially if they do it themselves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise should be able to survive just fine the way you propose, but why? I prefer them to be able to clamber in and out of the water as they see fit, and you just never know whethe urge to drink will strike them. They might not feel like drinking at soak time, and they might feel like drinking when they are in their enclosure while you are away.

If your issue is a dirty water bowl, then try moving it away from the perimeter and out of the pacing path.

dreamtortoise

Virginia
Your tortoise should be able to survive just fine the way you propose, but why? I prefer them to be able to clamber in and out of the water as they see fit, and you just never know whethe urge to drink will strike them. They might not feel like drinking at soak time, and they might feel like drinking when they are in their enclosure while you are away.

If your issue is a dirty water bowl, then try moving it away from the perimeter and out of the pacing path.
Thanks Tom!!!