To Redfoot, or not to Redfoot?

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
Hello all! I'm newish to the forums, my bf and I having adopted our first little Greek, Archimedes, in December. He will be a year old in April and We love the little guy so much.

I was jumping around on Craigslist recently and came across a Redfoot being rehomed due to a new puppy. I had told my bf previously when we were talking about tortoises that I would like to eventually add variety to our growing zoo and I had expressed interest in the Redfoots. Now I know it a lifelong commitment, and that they are similar in care to Greeks with the exception of more humid and temperate environments and a more varied diet in the way of occasional protein and fruit. I was just wondering What the Redfoot owners out there thought about theirs. The little guy/gal is already 6inches and a couple years old living in a 50 gal with very little humidity and no room to move hardly. My heart breaks for him/her. I guess I'm really looking for validation and someone to tell me to go for it! lol I'm setting up to meet the little one next week sometime. Someone push me over the Tortoise edge!! :D :tort:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'll try to be the voice of reason. Do you already have the setup for one? Do you have the funds and space? Some people get the itch for more tortoises but you need to be sure that you don't stretch yourself thin. But, I have 4 that will be turning 1 next month. I love em to death. Just make sure that you'll still be able to dedicate time to your others. Good luck!

abclements

5 Year Member
I'd pull the trigger on it! That's the one for 130, that got posted on here right? If so, I'd get a new enclosure set up, then sell the old one as an aquarium or something on craigslist. But yes, get that guy into a humid enclosure with good food and he'll love you for it!

But to answer your question, yes I really like my RF and if I had the room, I'd have at least a few more by now...

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Haha I do appreciate the voice of reason. I wouldn't be considering it without what you mentions though. I am picking up a tortoise table that I found, that I was going to get anyway, I know exactly where I am putting it and I've mentally set aside what I will need for substrate, seeds for his own little edible garden and any extra bowls I may need that he isn't coming with. They are selling him with the setup but I want to get him out of that tank ASAP The table I'm getting should be just perfect for him and has the lamps and uvb already, at most I may need a to upgrade the bulbs. But I have set it aside mentally. I do appreciate the encouragement and the voice of reason at the same time :D Not to worry though, I'm super ocd about things like that :D

abclements said:
I'd pull the trigger on it! That's the one for 130, that got posted on here right? If so, I'd get a new enclosure set up, then sell the old one as an aquarium or something on craigslist. But yes, get that guy into a humid enclosure with good food and he'll love you for it!

But to answer your question, yes I really like my RF and if I had the room, I'd have at least a few more by now...

Yes it is!! After I posted it I caved and messaged them for myself! And that is exactly what I plan on doing. I found a great tortoise table as well that I may need to by an extra piece of plexi glass to lay over as a lid to make it extra humid, or get a moister subtrate. But my house stays pretty humid so it shouldn't be a problem :D

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Great to see you planned ahead. You and the redfoot might benefit from an enclosed chamber instead of an open top table. Worst thing you can do is make a frame over the table and cover it up with a plastic dropcloth. That's what I ended up doing, in any case.

And I'm gonna go ahead and join the side of all the enablers. High chances that you'll provide better digs than the last owner. Here's a preemptive "welcome to team redfoot"!

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
pfara, Yea they have him in what looks like a 50 gal tank with reptibark and fake plants! and his/her water dish is way to small to soak in, plus he/she looks dirty so I doubt they even bath him/her :(

Meanwhile......

They just sent me some pictures of him/her... I'm hooked!
photo (1).JPG
photo.JPG

And Thank you pfara!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Redfoots are very cool tortoises and have alot of personality. I have 4 adults that have laid hundreds of eggs. If I remember right the one on craigslist that someone posted a link to, looked like it had alot of pyramiding and was probably raised wrong since it was a hatchling. Just keep that in mind when purchasing it, it was raised very dry with not enough humidity. If you get that tortoise you will need to make sure he has the right living conditions good luck

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
bigred said:
Redfoots are very cool tortoises and have alot of personality. I have 4 adults that have laid hundreds of eggs. If I remember right the one on craigslist that someone posted a link to, looked like it had alot of pyramiding and was probably raised wrong since it was a hatchling. Just keep that in mind when purchasing it, it was raised very dry with not enough humidity. If you get that tortoise you will need to make sure he has the right living conditions good luck

Heehee I'm the one who posted that, and yea I noticed his pyramiding, you can see it even more in the new pic they sent me. I'm a sucker for a baby in need.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jackmeggers said:
bigred said:

Heehee I'm the one who posted that, and yea I noticed his pyramiding, you can see it even more in the new pic they sent me. I'm a sucker for a baby in need.

Ya I thought it was you but wasnt sure, if you get him Im sure you will give him a better home than he has been in

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
If you don't plan in keeping him in the aquarium, I would offer about $40 less without the cage and see what they say

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Great minds think alike, I already did! They dropped it by $30 and I'm offering a doghouse that I still have from when my dog passed last september, to sweeten the pot. I don't think Cole would have minded, I had just got it for him a few short months before.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
So here is an update and a question. I'm picking up the table on Monday, which I was getting anyway because it was a great deal and was going to transfer my almost yearling Greek into it when he got bigger. And Then I'm going to take a look at the Redfoot.

My Greek is currently in a cabinet that I got from a remodeling company here that had ordered them for their doors and didn't need the actual cabinet. So I got a really good, solid construction, instant tortoise table for $15. We have him on top soil and planted seeds when we set it up. I'm planning on doing similar with the Redfoot, with the exception of moss on top to retain more moisture.

Question time: All the plants we planted were completely safe to feed on thetortoisetable.org.uk site. Would they be the same for the Redfoot? We planted the following: Mini and thumbelina Zinnias, Pansies, Johhny jump ups (which are a variety or viola), forget-me-nots and coleus. I also have some African violet leaves routing in a window waiting for them to be safe from possible pesticides and to grow enough to be potted and then added to Archimedes enclosure. Thanks :D

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yes. All plants listed are also good for reds. Keep in mind that because reds require higher humidity and lower light requirements, you should add plants that favor those situations as well. There are many houseplants that fit the bill. Spider plants, prayer plants, lipstick vines, bromeliads, christmas cactus, pothos, Norfolk island pine, wandering jew, etc.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yes, everything except the pothos are super non-toxic. However, the pothos is native to the redfoot range so some people (like me) put it in their enclosures. I wouldn't have listed those plants if they weren't safe, silly :p

Oh, and you can see all those plants in action in my enclosure thread if you look it up. I'd give you the link but my phone isn't very cooperative.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Of course silly me. Why would you try to poison "my" tortoise? I'll look it up in a bit, thanks again.

Side note, I'm currently looking up potential names lol

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Don't forget spineless optuna cactus, there are types of it which grow all over the world and it almost certainly is a native food item- great calcium and moisture content/ phosphorous ratio is good as well! Plus you can grow it outdoors VERY easily.