To Redfoot, or not to Redfoot?

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
Thank you for the tip! I have been planning on getting some Cacti but I have to keep them for awhile before putting them in, to make sure they are pesticide free, and I was so focused on seeds last time that I forgot to get any.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Absolutely do it! Sounds like you are a great tortoise owner and get the importance of their needs being met.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Thank you, I've only been a tort mom since December, but I used to work in a local owned pet store that took it's animal knowlegde very seriously and I've had frogs, iguanas, birds etc. When I decided to give my guy our Archimedes for Christmas I threw myself into the world of tortoises head first and I haven't come up for air yet! lol Those are some beautiful little ones you have, are they eating hibiscus?

I'm looking into humidity enhancing materials for the top of the table on one end to keep in the moisture. Has anyone used Twinwall Plastic Sheets?

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
So I was thinking about getting something like this for the enclosure Hudmidifier/fountain for the potential (who am I fooling at this point?) redfoot enclosure to keep the humidity up. Any thoughts? I'm worried about chemicals that may be in it. Thanks again!

I would submerge the base and put substrate over that section.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Just one quick photo for the night :-D Meet Itzl Roja. We are thinking she is a girl, sorry tail, flat belly and U shaping. I spent the day shopping for substrate, wrangling a 4x2 foot tortoise table into my mom's car (it is slightly bigger than mine), and then driving out to the middle of the suburbs to pick her up. Her previous owners were sweet and not neglectful but were uneducated in how to really care for her. I'll do a full post later with the set up and a few questions and even more photos :-D Thanks again!
1391486977986.jpg

*stubby tail not sorry. And my boyfriend helped all along the a way.

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Oh she's so adorable! Congratulations and you two are very lucky to have found each other. Keep posting pics and updates :D

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Thanks pfara! I have lots of pics to post. She is a little shy and has some wheezing that already sounds better. The poor mom said "she makes this cute little hiss sound" I almost cried. They were nice, just didn't do their research. She wandered all around her new enclosure and then burrowed in the moss, I moved her to her hide and added some extra moss and "tucked" her in :) She is tuckered out from trying to get out of the temp box we brought her home in.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Aww.. I'm definitely happy for ya and I can't wait to see the pics.

Psst.. edit your signature :p

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
They can and do hiss when startled. I have one shy one that does occasionally. And I have one who I have never heard hiss.

Mine have never wheezed, so I wouldn't know the difference.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Good point Annv, I have startled her since and heard her hiss. There was a wheezing sound before, her previous enclosure was a 40 or 50gal tank, reptibark, and a fake plant with no place to soak. She didn't have the proper humidity. :-S

Pfara, the mobile app wouldn't let me change it, but I plan to :-D

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Redfootmom, me too. I'm looking forward to her warming up to me a little more. So far she just looks at me with contempt. Lol! I did a video of her eating some mango and when she dropped it and couldn't see it, she glared at me as if to ask "Did you take my mango?" she is adorable :D 1391664138334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

muu

She is beautiful. My year old Redfoot Loki, is the cheekiest little thing. He is currently rolling a plant pot around his viv. You're going to have so much fun with her.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Thanks muu! She is slowly but surely warming up to us. She is starting to let me rub her head and doesn't stay as closely inside her shell as before. Soaked her this evening and she wagged her little tail and had a good poo. Lol guess she is doing well with her proper diet. I was nervous after giving her hard boiled egg for the first time yesterday. I'm looking forward to watching her personality as she let's it out more :-D

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
I don't have any pictures, because the fog doesn't photograph well and I hadn't had time to break out my DSLR, but I added some major humidity to Itzl's enclosure this week. I found one of the huge (2 gal) frog shaped humidifiers by crane at a thrift store for $6.25 then bought some tubing for another $7 and voila!! Humidity up the wazooh! She loves it and so do the cat grass seeds which have begun sprouting like crazy and are already up to 2 inches easily. I haven't heard her wheezing once since we added it. I think she is very happy between that and her discovery of the ever tasty mushrooms :D I have a happy Red foot on my hands and that makes me a happy momma.

muu

What a great find. I think I'm going to invest in a fogger

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
It works really well. We have had to adjust it a little because the amount of hose was too much and it would stop. but we cut it back and it works perfectly :D