To Pathos or not?

seadogrun

Location (City and/or State)
Pompano Beach, FL
I have read some conflicting information about having pathos in a redfoot's enclosure. I have a few plants I would like to put in Reef's outdoor enclosure, but don't want to cause any harm. Have we come to a consensus of whether pathos is okay or not?

Thanks,

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I have pothos in all of my tort enclosures, but I try to keep pathos (a quality that evokes pity or sadness) out of the enclosures... ;)

I think you will find plenty of people who will say not to, but I've heard from a number of keepers with years of experience that they are ok with pothos in a redfoot enclosure.

Jamie

Zoeclare

Uk
I have pothos in my Redfoot enclosure, to be honest Nitro never eats it he just tramples all over it!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My leopard and my Russian consider pothos a if I walk by let’s get a snack plant. I am 3 plants in the rehab outside they are all nubs.

Attachments

• 2DA8D6E0-470B-4A4F-9794-9163223269B4.jpeg
    2DA8D6E0-470B-4A4F-9794-9163223269B4.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 37

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My Redfoots literally eat Pothos down to the dirt. I can't keep them alive in the enclosures.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot and my Veiled Chameleons eat Pothos pretty regularly.
(The Redfoot only do when a vine gets within reach)
If its infrequent, it won't be an problem.
There is a separate issue. Those very small, potted Pothos from the store are often treated with systemic pesticides.
Any new plant, you'll need to remove from the pot. Wash off the roots. Repot or plant it in new soil and let it grow a bit before your tortoise eats it. Just the new growth will be fairly safe.
Or you can just clip off part of an older plant, stick the cut end in a bottle of water until it roots, then plant that.

seadogrun

Pompano Beach, FL
My Redfoot and my Veiled Chameleons eat Pothos pretty regularly.
(The Redfoot only do when a vine gets within reach)
If its infrequent, it won't be an problem.
There is a separate issue. Those very small, potted Pothos from the store are often treated with systemic pesticides.
Any new plant, you'll need to remove from the pot. Wash off the roots. Repot or plant it in new soil and let it grow a bit before your tortoise eats it. Just the new growth will be fairly safe.
Or you can just clip off part of an older plant, stick the cut end in a bottle of water until it roots, then plant that.
That is a good point. All the pothos I have have been propagated by me, so everything is new growth so I know no systemic treatment has been used.