To change or not to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
We all know how some animals thrive best when their environment is constantly changing, it helps them develop and mature etc
We also know that some animals do not welcome change.
Are tortoises one of those animals that do or do not like change?
I would think they would to some degree since they are wandering animals.

I'm asking because I don't know if tinkering with Echo's enclosure and modifieing it often on this trial and error path is stressful or not for her. Obviously if it's for her own good then the short term stress is better than the long term issues. But still nice to know either way.

She seems like a really shy girl and often does the pulsing legs blood pressure thing if you just glance at her.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think my leopard likes change. He seems to enjoy wondering around and checking things out. Once he has, it's back to resting.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are generally pretty poor at handling change and can take weeks to get used to new surroundings. While I'd advise against constant tinkering, that doesn't mean that improvements can't be made to an enclosure. Just try to do it one hit and then leave it for a while.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They definitely do not like major changes. Joes mum is right. Sometimes adult torts won't breed for years after being moved to new surroundings.

Small improvements, or substrate changes and things like that, are not usually a big deal though. And young ones seem to be much more adaptable than older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.