To Be....Or Not To Be ....sick?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
When Zola was very small-2or3 years old -he was on Richard's desk "helping" him with his computer, he started doing something strange - Richard called me for help, -and I nearly fell over laughing, as I explained he was mating with his hand !! He wasn't displaying his bits, but putting his front legs on Richard's hand, and pushing rhythmically with his skinny little back legs, and making a tiny little squeaking noise - the first noise we had ever heard him make. It was quite a while later that we first saw anything displayed, and by then we were mentally prepared.
Angie.
Ok how do you rate 2 days of birthday banner stuff ☺️?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
When Zola was very small-2or3 years old -he was on Richard's desk "helping" him with his computer, he started doing something strange - Richard called me for help, -and I nearly fell over laughing, as I explained he was mating with his hand !! He wasn't displaying his bits, but putting his front legs on Richard's hand, and pushing rhythmically with his skinny little back legs, and making a tiny little squeaking noise - the first noise we had ever heard him make. It was quite a while later that we first saw anything displayed, and by then we were mentally prepared.
Angie.
Is it your birthday and Zola’s birthday today?! Happy Birthday!!! ? ? :<3::tort: I hope you and Zola had a wonderful day. I can’t wait to see pictures of Zola with the birthday hat you made!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
You should never think you’re a bad mom to Sally. From reading through what she’s gone through, I have MANY times thought to myself “thank goodness Sally is in Chef’s care”. Nobody could care for her the way you do. You’re doing an amazing job. Please don’t doubt that for a second. I understand how what You’re feeling though. We love our torts so deeply, that when something is wrong or they appear to be a little off, it rips at our heartstrings because we want nothing more than for them to be happy and healthy. I think it’s normal to question yourself and things you’ve done, but sometimes things just happen without explanation. You’re doing a super duper job with Sally. I have said it before, but I’ll say it again…she is as lucky to have you as you are to have her. ❤️

Thank you for your kind words about Dozer and his house. He is little cutie. Whenever his lunatic tendencies show lol I tell him he’s lucky he’s so cute. ?. The bites do hurt and sometimes leave little pieces of skin missing or hanging off. I can’t even imagine a bite from a Sulcata…and I don’t ever want to know what that feels like from experiencing it. In the last couple of months his bites always break skin now. In Canada our Neosporin is called Polysporin and yes, I always have the extra strength stuff handy, as well as hydrogen peroxide. On the other topic, I believe it was January that he flashed his bits the first time. Thankfully I had seen enough on the forum to know what it was, but I still had to snap a couple pics and post them to be sure. Every single day since then, usually during his soak his little friend comes out to play. He’s also made friends with one special rock in his enclosure lol. When I see how mean he can be to my hands (which really he is trying to mate with my hands) I feel so sorry for all the female torts out there. Someone needs to teach these boys some manners! ? I am glad he’s male though. The very first thing I told him when I got him from the breeder, was that he needs to be a boy lol. Girl tortoises scare me with the whole egg thing and they also grow larger. Because I live where I do and have crappy weather most of the year, my tortoise will mostly be an indoor tortoise, so for me, the smaller the better.

I am curious to know if any more eggs have been laid since the last 5 you spoke about? I hope you have a great day today.

Hello!!!!
What a crazy day it has been.
Too long of a story, I don’t want to bore you with.
However, I will tell you about the rain from a hurricane named “Elsa” brought to NJ today.
Wow!!!
Just .... wow!
Rain, wind, flooding, trees down, cars smashed....
And it’s going to happen all over again tonight! Starting at midnight!
I don’t think I’ve seen this much flooding since the storm “Sandy”. She was a real..?

My update for today : (for the tortoise) ?

One large REGULR poop ??
3- very large platters of GRASS. Chicory, dandelion, mustard greens and ...?
No.. that’s it.
And one (in tact)... BUT cracked egg! ?
I have been doing everything that I was told to do for a laying mother to be
( warmth, hydration, food, and 5 different well dug caves for her to “do her thing”
But this ? insists on having them in the tub? AND ONE AT A TIME... ?
I don’t think she is a “normal” Sulcata..
I think she acclimated to NJ and has the same attitude! (Complains it’s to hot in summer, bi*ches when its too cold in winter and likes everything that is the exact OPPOSITE of what a Sulcata needs???

I am soooo glad your little one is doing great! About the bits and pieces, thank God I have never seen them. In pictures on here or other wise. I think I’d freak out!
You are a great mommy if you can deal with all of the aggressive behavior.
I came from a house where there was not one day without yelling, screaming or fighting (with fists)
soo... to have my tortoise be a quiet
(Leave me alone in the dark tub with my tv on-kinda gal) is right up my ally.
I have all day to be on the forum tomorrow so I shall say sweet dreams for now as I am eggsausted (I can’t even correct Siri right now) ???

Igsuasted—?
Agaausted-?
Xausted—?
Eggsausted..... ?
Oooohh... I can’t
I just can’t.. ????????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Angie.

Toooooooo funny!!!! ???????????????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Is it your birthday and Zola’s birthday today?! Happy Birthday!!! ? ? :<3::tort: I hope you and Zola had a wonderful day. I can’t wait to see pictures of Zola with the birthday hat you made!

ME TOO!!
ME TOO!!!
HAAPY BIRTHDAY ZOLA!!!!
I hope it was great!!!
I am sending love ❤️ hugs ? and smooches ?!!!!!
Hope you cake was EXTRA LARGE and DELICIOUS!!!!
But don’t wee on it! ?
????????????????????????????????????

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Id seen her birthday banner for 2 days. So I couldn't resist rubbing it in. I don't care cause I love celebrating every new day ❤️
I don't know how that happened - this is the first time I have had a banner, so I wondered if it was due to the time difference between USA and UK . When we got Zola, we had a certificate with his approximate date of birth so I decided it would be the same as mine - he also has a half-birthday in January, on the same day as Richard's one - we like to make sure he doesn't miss out on any celebration. In fact, we make much more fuss about his birthdays than about ours !
Angie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't know how that happened - this is the first time I have had a banner, so I wondered if it was due to the time difference between USA and UK . When we got Zola, we had a certificate with his approximate date of birth so I decided it would be the same as mine - he also has a half-birthday in January, on the same day as Richard's one - we like to make sure he doesn't miss out on any celebration. In fact, we make much more fuss about his birthdays than about ours !
Angie
Did you see it too ? I'm on here in the afternoon most days so...

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello!!!!
What a crazy day it has been.
Too long of a story, I don’t want to bore you with.
However, I will tell you about the rain from a hurricane named “Elsa” brought to NJ today.
Wow!!!
Just .... wow!
Rain, wind, flooding, trees down, cars smashed....
And it’s going to happen all over again tonight! Starting at midnight!
I don’t think I’ve seen this much flooding since the storm “Sandy”. She was a real..?

My update for today : (for the tortoise) ?

One large REGULR poop ??
3- very large platters of GRASS. Chicory, dandelion, mustard greens and ...?
No.. that’s it.
And one (in tact)... BUT cracked egg! ?
I have been doing everything that I was told to do for a laying mother to be
( warmth, hydration, food, and 5 different well dug caves for her to “do her thing”
But this ? insists on having them in the tub? AND ONE AT A TIME... ?
I don’t think she is a “normal” Sulcata..
I think she acclimated to NJ and has the same attitude! (Complains it’s to hot in summer, bi*ches when its too cold in winter and likes everything that is the exact OPPOSITE of what a Sulcata needs???

I am soooo glad your little one is doing great! About the bits and pieces, thank God I have never seen them. In pictures on here or other wise. I think I’d freak out!
You are a great mommy if you can deal with all of the aggressive behavior.
I came from a house where there was not one day without yelling, screaming or fighting (with fists)
soo... to have my tortoise be a quiet
(Leave me alone in the dark tub with my tv on-kinda gal) is right up my ally.
I have all day to be on the forum tomorrow so I shall say sweet dreams for now as I am eggsausted (I can’t even correct Siri right now) ???

Igsuasted—?
Agaausted-?
Xausted—?
Eggsausted..... ?
Oooohh... I can’t
I just can’t.. ????????
There's a book in there somewhere...or maybe it's a forward in Tom's or Jamie's new books. I swear. Or maybe it's compiled stories from tort owners like the time I was first exposed to my tort's penis, exposed bottoms & is it female or male, eggceptional layings, garbage food my redfoot loves, blasting tort farts, ....

Sleep well, lady. I guess Sally's not done yet.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Just kidding…. Here’s more..?
He has grown from 1” to 2 1/2”!!!
He’s only 3.
Found in a head of lettuce at (I guess)one year old?

Attachments

• 71D8CA1C-5B9A-4375-A049-DF0C665A058B.png
    71D8CA1C-5B9A-4375-A049-DF0C665A058B.png
    282.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 48FAA44A-7044-4BE1-A5CE-71CFA3BF9728.png
    48FAA44A-7044-4BE1-A5CE-71CFA3BF9728.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 3D43DBFD-21CC-4452-9133-08BAF0E2274F.png
    3D43DBFD-21CC-4452-9133-08BAF0E2274F.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 910A1B92-75F8-4582-A50B-9535288454EE.png
    910A1B92-75F8-4582-A50B-9535288454EE.png
    297 KB · Views: 6
  • 863BC903-F09E-4BE3-A5B3-4287FF276FCE.png
    863BC903-F09E-4BE3-A5B3-4287FF276FCE.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 0687039E-9CC6-41E0-BEA1-4356049B53E9.png
    0687039E-9CC6-41E0-BEA1-4356049B53E9.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 0A48F6CD-65E4-4094-94FA-8012D3F98EA8.png
    0A48F6CD-65E4-4094-94FA-8012D3F98EA8.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 1325F0D9-E358-4169-B14E-269E8B66BB19.png
    1325F0D9-E358-4169-B14E-269E8B66BB19.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 17713AEA-1E3C-405F-9946-AB184AFAA182.png
    17713AEA-1E3C-405F-9946-AB184AFAA182.png
    308.6 KB · Views: 6
  • D322E90D-8037-47C4-988E-F13D7C138779.png
    D322E90D-8037-47C4-988E-F13D7C138779.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 6

zolasmum

5 Year Member
He has a ten gallon tank and a night tank and a travel box thingy….
Pictures to come later..
Thanks for viewing! ??
At last !! I have been looking forward so much to seeing Gary's photos. He is such a sweetie. You must have been looking after him well for him to have grown so much - have you any idea how big he can get? I am sure he recognises you in his way and appreciates you.
I have some photos of Zola to send you soon, but have been rather busy.
Yesterday we (including Zola, of course) watched a very important football (soccer) match on tv- Zola went to sleep for part of it on my lap - it was raining hard, and felt really chilly, so we actually switched the central heating on for an hour - never had to do that before in July !!
How is Sally?
Angie x

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Just kidding…. Here’s more..?
He has grown from 1” to 2 1/2”!!!
He’s only 3.
Found in a head of lettuce at (I guess)one year old?
Gary is so cute! I'm still trying to get a picture of the snails we have here but they're not cute like Gary with a shell on his back. For some reason I haven't seen any big ones yet. It's been a stange year.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
At last !! I have been looking forward so much to seeing Gary's photos. He is such a sweetie. You must have been looking after him well for him to have grown so much - have you any idea how big he can get? I am sure he recognises you in his way and appreciates you.
I have some photos of Zola to send you soon, but have been rather busy.
Yesterday we (including Zola, of course) watched a very important football (soccer) match on tv- Zola went to sleep for part of it on my lap - it was raining hard, and felt really chilly, so we actually switched the central heating on for an hour - never had to do that before in July !!
How is Sally?
Angie x

Well???
Who won the football match?
Zola must be an enthusiast?
That’s wonderful.

Gary can grow I guess to maybe 3”?
I did hear somewhere they only reach to be 3 years old, so I am trying not to neglect him with all else that is going on.
That’s why we had a “date day” on Saturday and I took these pictures.
He was being a kinda jerk because I wanted him to sit on the tippy top of my finger but he said no. ☹️
I did myself get busy for the weekend.
Don’t ask me what it was we did but I know it kept me from coming on here.
It is raining here too and the whole house is shaking from the thunder!
I can’t believe you had to turn your HEAT on in JULY?????
Well, it just goes to show you what I’ve been saying for years…
“Mother Nature is going through menopause herself”.

And finally I have a bit of stinky news.
I had planned to come on here tonight to tell you that tomorrow was FINALLY Sally’s doctors apt…
But before I got the chance …
AS I WAS HOLDING THE PHONE
the doctors office called to cancel AGAIN!
At 10:09PM!!!!!! ??‍♀️
Said the doctor “ called out sick”!….?
I am so BEYOND mad that I couldn’t even cry! No tears would run down my face!
Even my husband said I was Eerily quiet.
I still am….
I just don’t even have words ….
So I picked my self up from my boot straps at 12:21 am and decided to try the other doctor again (who had an apt for me on the 15th). I should have booked it then but I had already made this one for the 13th…
So I will call them back again tomorrow..

Before you ask, I already asked them … again… can’t ANYONE take an X-ray?
Again she told me (sternly) no it HAS to be an Exotic Vet. She went on to say, the ONLY way you could come get it done
(By I guess anyone)… was to bring Sally in AS AN “EMERGENCY”…
Just to let you know an “emergency” visit
STARTS at $289. That’s just for bringing her in!!
Not even looked at yet and it’s $300???
Are you nuts??
(Said in my grandmothers Scottish accent)..

No way!!!
If I felt this was an “emergency” believe me..
I would have been there already.
But this does mean a lot more tub time..
She IS pooping like a horse and eating like Godzilla but yet…. No more eggs….
Is it possible she only had 5 ?
A clutch is usually around 30….
Maybe they are not big enough to be ready yet?
This would all be answered if someone would GIVE ME AN X-RAY!
Sorry for yelling.
It is not directed at you.. it’s just out of frustration..
hoping you have a better day than me. ?❤️