To Be....Or Not To Be ....sick?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I am here!!! I am sorry for disappearing but I have just been waiting.
The doctors office will not see us till next week. They only returned my call yesterday!
Sally (my tortoise) is still soaking day and night in the tub....?
She is eating better now (yesterday she ate a whole plateful of dark greens!)
And I forced her to walk around as best she could. She looked like she was fine with that..? She was “digging” under her heat lamp and her Uvb light.... but refused to go outside ???
I just don’t see any eggs???
She has 5 very dark and warm places here inside to “do her thing” so I don’t have to worry about that...
She just won’t use them.?
At this point I am trying to do what she wants just to keep her hydrated until I see the vet...
If it’s eggs.... I will do the “midwife” thing..
? (by that I mean I will sit and wait for her to lay them...)
And if it’s nothing.....all heck is gonna break loose!
Tort head is going to fly!!!
But I guess I’d be happy to know she is alright.... but I am just sooo tired..
picking her up to move her..(she’s 100lb)
Refilling the water every two hours
Begging her to eat
Cleaning the room she goes in and ruines before she walks back to the tub..
Thank God the tub is in the basement!
I cannot imagine having to do stairs too!!
Again, I am sorry for leaving you in the dark about what’s going on but I will be here to update as soon as I know.. I promise!
I have only just found this thread and discovered what you have been going through - and now I'm sitting in tears at my computer - wishing so much that I could help in some way - I'm very very sorry for you and Sally both-
I do so hope she will get over it very soon.
Love to you both from Angie xx

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I will do all of this.
Thank you for that response.
I wish I had such knowledge.
It’s when you’re there (in the parking lot) they just tell you quick over the phone
“We have to sedate her”.
It jumbles your brain because you’re thinking the worst..
I got scared that she wouldn’t recover without the side effects you spoke of.
Now I am more educated as to understand the different types of sedation. ❤️?
They all know when I show up ..
I know my stuff..
(That’s because before I go there I ask all of you!)?
They think I am really smart about tortoises!! ?
Well, I must say ...
after all I have been through with her for 23 years , it’s hard not to be up on your game.
I refuse to let her go after all we have endured. Not on MY watch.! ?
I know this is later and after the fact... but I was told something similar by the secretary answering the phone at my tortoise vet. She said unless we have to sedate him to do a beak trim ? it wasn't the vet saying that. In fact she is hardly ever there at that clinic. Did yours really get sedation? Hoping the best for you and your tortoise. And yes after 23 years THEY need to pay attention to what you say.?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I am here!!! I am sorry for disappearing but I have just been waiting.
The doctors office will not see us till next week. They only returned my call yesterday!
Sally (my tortoise) is still soaking day and night in the tub....?
She is eating better now (yesterday she ate a whole plateful of dark greens!)
And I forced her to walk around as best she could. She looked like she was fine with that..? She was “digging” under her heat lamp and her Uvb light.... but refused to go outside ???
I just don’t see any eggs???
She has 5 very dark and warm places here inside to “do her thing” so I don’t have to worry about that...
She just won’t use them.?
At this point I am trying to do what she wants just to keep her hydrated until I see the vet...
If it’s eggs.... I will do the “midwife” thing..
? (by that I mean I will sit and wait for her to lay them...)
And if it’s nothing.....all heck is gonna break loose!
Tort head is going to fly!!!
But I guess I’d be happy to know she is alright.... but I am just sooo tired..
picking her up to move her..(she’s 100lb)
Refilling the water every two hours
Begging her to eat
Cleaning the room she goes in and ruines before she walks back to the tub..
Thank God the tub is in the basement!
I cannot imagine having to do stairs too!!
Again, I am sorry for leaving you in the dark about what’s going on but I will be here to update as soon as I know.. I promise!
I’m so sorry for what you and Sally are going through. I hope you’ll soon have answers and that Sally can get back to her old self. I can’t even imagine how hard this has been for you. I will continue to keep you and Sally in my thoughts and prayers. Sending love and hugs.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have only just found this thread and discovered what you have been going through - and now I'm sitting in tears at my computer - wishing so much that I could help in some way - I'm very very sorry for you and Sally both-

Thank you for those kind words.
I promise to get her up and running again.
This vet I have to go see is a pain in the....
He is almost never around.
Thank goodness I know what to look for thanks to being on this forum!
I have ruled out :
Respiratory infection
So I am thinking she is getting ready for egg laying again.
But I can’t be sure until I get this X-ray done. Then I will know for sure what’s wrong.
Once again thank you for all of your support! Please, I am so sorry to make you cry. Please take ease as I will start to cry if you cry!! ?
Good thoughts
Positive vibes
and a prayer ? that’s what you and I are gonna do.
I wish you nothing but peace and happiness from now on!
I will keep you posted.
Thank you with all of my heart for caring!!
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
OMG, I'm so sorry this is going on in this way. I had no idea. Please be well & be strong. Tell me what i can do to help!!

Ok Jan...
If you REALLY want to help, here’s what you can do :
MOVE IN HERE WITH MEEEEE!!! ?
I have tried everything.
She just wants the tub...
I am ruling out a Respiratory infection though..
And going with eggs...
My good old husband says it could take years for her to lay??
But I don’t think it would take that long.
Something about this covid year...
Everyone I talk to is either pregnant or going through menopause???
Me?.... I’m gonna have a good old fashioned heart attack! ??

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Good!! You’re here! ANGIEEEE!!!!
Did you see my post about the medicine for frequent migraine sufferers???
It’s called.... ?....?......wait.!....?
Oohhhh..... shoot! I can’t remember the name.... I have the picture up on another thread.... it’s called....
It’s called..... i.... um....?

“NURTEC”
I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! ?❤️?❤️
Google it. ?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I know this is later and after the fact... but I was told something similar by the secretary answering the phone at my tortoise vet. She said unless we have to sedate him to do a beak trim ? it wasn't the vet saying that. In fact she is hardly ever there at that clinic. Did yours really get sedation? Hoping the best for you and your tortoise. And yes after 23 years THEY need to pay attention to what you say.?

Yes. Mine got sedation the last time we were there (months ago). She got it so the doctor could take blood .
I guess none of those doctors had the ...
To get blood from a (at the time) 120 female Sulcata who was going through pregnancy.
WE as tortoise owners know how to do things a little bit differently to get them to do what we ask of them. Right? ?

Who am I kidding!??????

She would have torn my hand off too!!
Probably rolled me ‘round like an alligator at feeding time!!! ?

Thank you sooooo much for the prayers!!!
?❤️?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Ok Jan...
If you REALLY want to help, here’s what you can do :
MOVE IN HERE WITH MEEEEE!!! ?
I have tried everything.
She just wants the tub...
I am ruling out a Respiratory infection though..
And going with eggs...
My good old husband says it could take years for her to lay??
But I don’t think it would take that long.
Something about this covid year...
Everyone I talk to is either pregnant or going through menopause???
Me?.... I’m gonna have a good old fashioned heart attack! ??
I get my pool in & you can come vacation with me. Otherwise, right now, it's too friggin' hot. Hubby's boat project is going slowly so we might get the boat in the water before the end of the year. No turtle sightings, just bugs & spiders.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Good!! You’re here! ANGIEEEE!!!!
Did you see my post about the medicine for frequent migraine sufferers???
It’s called.... ?....?......wait.!....?
Oohhhh..... shoot! I can’t remember the name.... I have the picture up on another thread.... it’s called....
It’s called..... i.... um....?

“NURTEC”
I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! ?❤️?❤️
Google it. ?
Hello Chef - thank you so much for letting me know about Nurtec - especially when you have so much else on your mind. I looked it up, and I don't think it is available in the UK, but I will ask about it when i go to the hospital soon - some time in July, I think. It possibly isn't approved here yet, but they might be doing trials on it, in which case they might consider me for a subject. I will let you know, anyway.
How is Sally? - Zola and I am thinking of her a lot -so far Zola has never been ill, but I can imagine how frantic you must be
Thank you again for thinking of me
Angie xx

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello Chef - thank you so much for letting me know about Nurtec - especially when you have so much else on your mind. I looked it up, and I don't think it is available in the UK, but I will ask about it when i go to the hospital soon - some time in July, I think. It possibly isn't approved here yet, but they might be doing trials on it, in which case they might consider me for a subject. I will let you know, anyway.
How is Sally? - Zola and I am thinking of her a lot -so far Zola has never been ill, but I can imagine how frantic you must be
Thank you again for thinking of me
Angie xx

I’m glad if it might help. I would do everything I could to help you both avoid getting shots of any kind!!
Sally is .... well.... doing weird things now..
I kinda force her to walk around outside and she does ; but for only about 10 mins
(It used to be longer)
She still eats sparingly (which is annoying) because I make her fresh food daily.
Now... as of this morning she is wanting out of the tub!! ?
But she will walk in circles crash over everything and then want back into the tub again???
Then when I put her back in the tub and fill with a warm water soak, she wants OUT again!!! My poor back picks her up three times daily, and I am not sure I can keep this up???
What does that even mean??
Brain damage?
I know that sounds harsh but like I said before , I am thinking of everything.
Now, I have to go do it again! She’s banging in the tub...?
I’m sorry...
I don’t drink but boy, I sooooo want a scotch right about now.. ?

P.s. I soooo want to send you all a video or pics but it is not offered at the bottom of my screen???

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I’m glad if it might help. I would do everything I could to help you both avoid getting shots of any kind!!
I kinda force her to walk around outside and she does ; but for only about 10 mins
(It used to be longer)
She still eats sparingly (which is annoying) because I make her fresh food daily.
But she will walk in circles crash over everything and then want back into the tub again???
Then when I put her back in the tub and fill with a warm water soak, she wants OUT again!!! My poor back picks her up three times daily, and I am not sure I can keep this up???
Brain damage?
I’m sorry...

P.s. I soooo want to send you all a video or pics but it is not offered at the bottom of my screen???
If you're using a phone similar to mine I have to take the picture first and then go to add a file. It has to be one I took while not on TFO. I don't know why.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
If you're using a phone similar to mine I have to take the picture first and then go to add a file. It has to be one I took while not on TFO. I don't know why.

Yes, that’s right. Mine used to say
“add a file” . But now it doesn’t even offer that?
I have to get better at learning how to add a media file on here and make my own to show you all. The last time I made a media file; I think I posted my picture on someone else’s media!!!!! ? sooooo embarrassed!!!
The person must have been like... wth???
She had started a media file showing her beautiful BABY tortoise... and when I posted my pictures , they were of a GIANT bulldozer tortoise!!! ??
Oooooh..... it makes me laugh till this day!
??????
(Of course.... I apologized to her like crazy.)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
(It used to be longer)
Brain damage?
I’m sorry...

(It used to be longer)
Brain damage?
I’m sorry...

P.s. I soooo want to send you all a video or pics but it is not offered at the bottom of my screen
(It used to be longer)
Brain damage?
I’m sorry...

force her to walk around outside and she does ; but for only about 10 mins
(It used to be longer)
Brain damage?
I’m sorry...

(It used to be longer)
Brain damage?
I’m sorry...

Hello Chef - how are you, and how is Sally? I really hope she is behaving better for you today - I suppose tortoises can suffer from brain damage, but I think she is just playing a silly game with you,-and that is extremely unfair !!
You will have to threaten her with Tortoise School for Delinquent Tortoises, where you won't be there to do what she wants all the time.
I am so sorry that she is causing you all this anxiety, and hope she is getting back to her usual self.
Best wishes from Angie xx

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello Chef - how are you, and how is Sally? I really hope she is behaving better for you today - I suppose tortoises can suffer from brain damage, but I think she is just playing a silly game with you,-and that is extremely unfair !!
You will have to threaten her with Tortoise School for Delinquent Tortoises, where you won't be there to do what she wants all the time.
I am so sorry that she is causing you all this anxiety, and hope she is getting back to her usual self.
Best wishes from Angie xx

Dear Zolasmum,

And all others that are following this thread.
Hellloooooo!!!!!
I have a sort of great update for you guys.?

Ok.... let’s think here.....?
Sorry if this is all out of order as I haven’t slept very well in weeks...?

Ok....

1)- she is eating MUCH better!!
Almost ate an entire plate yesterday
And today!! Although I have a question, which if you answer might tell me exactly what’s going on.......

When she eats and is finished, she scratches her legs?? Not to get rid of the food but it looks like she is getting ready for...? Eggs, poop??? Then nothing...?

But she hasn’t pooped in awhile????
Pees a lot but no poop..
And today her pee (with urates) is slimy?
Yes,I mean slimy..???

2)- I am kinda (nicely) forcing her to walk around for at least an hour. I get it that torts like to bury themselves when it’s hot outside... but she has to know it’s day time and to walk around for awhile.. (not in the sun). Then I step away... and she walks right back into the house to that stupid tub.
Where everything must be dark , or she will bang around the tub till it is..

3)- today she is letting me keep a crack of light coming through the window!!!
Sunshine!!! Nice to see you!!!!
(Although this week is in the 90s in NJ)
Can not say I blame her for wanting to hide......
I want to myself! ???

What else....?
Doctors apt for Wednesday 11:45am..
I am going to request an X-ray...
If he confirms “eggs” that’s all I need.
If it’s something else I will ask to do blood work...
Do you think that would be right?
Or should I just get blood work too?
I am trying not to jab her with needles if not needed...?
Advice would be very appreciated!!

And finally, when I had her outside for the last couple of days (by force) I did notice she was scratching the ground a lot.
That to me sounds like egg laying...?
But by now wouldn’t one have just fallen out? Choice or no choice..?
She has eaten very dark greens as well
Including beet tops (suggested by @Zenherper—thank you for that she loved them!)
Sooo..... why no poop??
Why no eggs??
Why slimy pee with urates??
And sleeping... always sleeping??
Ok then... that’s all I have to report for now..
I would have said something sooner, I just wanted more things to tell you.

Now how are all of you?
Angie, snoopys mom — how’s your headaches? How are your gardens?
Pictures!!
Please pictures!!!
I am stuck in a basement like a Hannibal lecture victim!!! I need pictures!! ???
(and some lotion..) ?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Thanks for the update. That’s a great sign that Sally has an appetite!! I don’t have the experience to provide any guidance on the questions you asked, but I’m still thinking of you guys and praying this will be behind you sooner than later. Sally sure is lucky to have you. Just don’t forget to take care of yourself so you can continue to take care of Sally! ❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thanks for the update. That’s a great sign that Sally has an appetite!! I don’t have the experience to provide any guidance on the questions you asked, but I’m still thinking of you guys and praying this will be behind you sooner than later. Sally sure is lucky to have you. Just don’t forget to take care of yourself so you can continue to take care of Sally! ❤️

???
Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers.!
You have no idea how YOU have impacted my life with your caring, and I don’t even know you!??? ?
Isn’t that the best!!!??
I love a complete and total stranger?
?????
I LOVE that!!!!
You are already in my nightly prayers!
As are the rest of you !!!
?????

THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!!

and I agree... my Sally is just being a
Punk head!! Almost like teenager that goes against the parents rules... ?
I can’t wait till this is all in the past as well.
Because I have to tell you about my
pet SNAIL....”Gary”!!!!!
He was found in a head of lettuce that I bought for Sally...
Couldn’t throw him away!!!
So I gave him a house ?.?

All Gods creatures deserve a great life!!
Even as small as they come.. ?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Zolasmum,

And all others that are following this thread.
Hellloooooo!!!!!
I have a sort of great update for you guys.?

Ok.... let’s think here.....?
Sorry if this is all out of order as I haven’t slept very well in weeks...?

Ok....

1)- she is eating MUCH better!!
Almost ate an entire plate yesterday
And today!! Although I have a question, which if you answer might tell me exactly what’s going on.......

When she eats and is finished, she scratches her legs?? Not to get rid of the food but it looks like she is getting ready for...? Eggs, poop??? Then nothing...?

But she hasn’t pooped in awhile????
Pees a lot but no poop..
And today her pee (with urates) is slimy?
Yes,I mean slimy..???

2)- I am kinda (nicely) forcing her to walk around for at least an hour. I get it that torts like to bury themselves when it’s hot outside... but she has to know it’s day time and to walk around for awhile.. (not in the sun). Then I step away... and she walks right back into the house to that stupid tub.
Where everything must be dark , or she will bang around the tub till it is..

3)- today she is letting me keep a crack of light coming through the window!!!
Sunshine!!! Nice to see you!!!!
(Although this week is in the 90s in NJ)
Can not say I blame her for wanting to hide......
I want to myself! ???

What else....?
Doctors apt for Wednesday 11:45am..
I am going to request an X-ray...
If he confirms “eggs” that’s all I need.
If it’s something else I will ask to do blood work...
Do you think that would be right?
Or should I just get blood work too?
I am trying not to jab her with needles if not needed...?
Advice would be very appreciated!!

And finally, when I had her outside for the last couple of days (by force) I did notice she was scratching the ground a lot.
That to me sounds like egg laying...?
But by now wouldn’t one have just fallen out? Choice or no choice..?
She has eaten very dark greens as well
Including beet tops (suggested by @Zenherper—thank you for that she loved them!)
Sooo..... why no poop??
Why no eggs??
Why slimy pee with urates??
And sleeping... always sleeping??
Ok then... that’s all I have to report for now..
I would have said something sooner, I just wanted more things to tell you.

Now how are all of you?
Angie, snoopys mom — how’s your headaches? How are your gardens?
Pictures!!
Please pictures!!!
I am stuck in a basement like a Hannibal lecture victim!!! I need pictures!! ???
(and some lotion..) ?
Oh Chef - that is such good news that Sally is eating - I am certainly no expert, but it does sound like things are going on in her insides - which hopefully means more eggs, and then she might feel a lot better. I should think an x-ray would probably be a good thing - and if there are more eggs inside, maybe the vet will be able to count them, so you will know what to expect, and be able to check they are all out, and don't have to go through this anxiety again.
Thank goodness Zola is a boy - I don't know how I could face what you are going through.
Angie xx

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Starting with xray(s) to rule out blockages - eggs, bezoar (a ball of misc swallowed gunk), rock, etc. is a good plan. No real need for blood panels unless the films are clear (give you no answer), or something on the films brings up more questions (she needs surgery - how well will her metabolic organs manage that?), blah, blah.

If her body is not pushing eggs out, you may be offered a hormone injection (oxytocin). At this point, that is probably the way to go.

So there's mucous with her urine. Her body is trying to lubricate something; is reacting to something new, rough, caustic, parasitical, etc.. Get ahold of a reptile probiotic replacement and start that now in case you need to do something enema-ish or use a dewormer (the broad spectrum stuff is antibiotic and will kill gut flora along with giardia, etc.). Fresh stool, if produced, or sample of the mucous for parasite analysis is a good idea - refrigerate, don't freeze (use the freshest you can get).

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Starting with xray(s) to rule out blockages - eggs, bezoar (a ball of misc swallowed gunk), rock, etc. is a good plan. No real need for blood panels unless the films are clear (give you no answer), or something on the films brings up more questions (she needs surgery - how well will her metabolic organs manage that?), blah, blah.

If her body is not pushing eggs out, you may be offered a hormone injection (oxytocin). At this point, that is probably the way to go.

So there's mucous with her urine. Her body is trying to lubricate something; is reacting to something new, rough, caustic, parasitical, etc.. Get ahold of a reptile probiotic replacement and start that now in case you need to do something enema-ish or use a dewormer (the broad spectrum stuff is antibiotic and will kill gut flora along with giardia, etc.). Fresh stool, if produced, or sample of the mucous for parasite analysis is a good idea - refrigerate, don't freeze (use the freshest you can get).

Thank you for this reply but....
Could you tell me where to get a hold of a
“Reptile Probiotic Replacement”??
and would it hurt any eggs if they are present?

Update : the vet just called and there was a “mix up”. Said they were already booked for the time I was to go in. They said the only apt they had left for me was
July 13 at 12:30 pm..!
Will that be to late?
They said I could always come in as an
“Emergency” but when I do that, it is
$389 before they even look at her...
???

She is my whole heart so if it comes to going as an emergency I of course would take her in ASAP.
But how dare they offer that!
Because an emergency would not bring
The “specialized” exotic doctor in out of his bed!
Last time I went to this doctor as an emergency I was given an intern just out of school!!!!
Good thing he knew his stuff.
And I challenged him at ever turn, make no mistake about that. I just don’t hand my baby over to anyone.
He filled me with his “doctors terms”
but thanks to THIS forum I knew everything he was talking about.
Although I answered him in Laymans terms,
He knew .... I knew MY ?. ?

THANKS TO ALL ON THIS WHOLE FORUM FOR BEING SOOOO EDUCATED AND HELPFUL AT EVERY TURN OF
“THE DAYS OF SALLYS LIVES”. ?