To Be....Or Not To Be ....sick?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
So Sally's not in pain but is egg bound but not egg bound because she's really not trying to lay

But she could carry these eggs for yrs because she's not done the naughty but even if she had done the naughty, she could still carry them for yrs.

Why oh why do we have no female vets devoting themselves to this cause & this cause only? A little shot of hormone could possibly persuade her to relieve herself, but because her eggs aren't big enough to endanger her life, no shot?

This is why I should have gone to vet school.....Oops, I forgot...I was terrible at chemistry & math. I could never prescribe the right drug in the right proportion.... nevermind...

Chef, i'm too far away... I can't trust Dan with Houdini...he'll be having parties & making Houdini smoke a cigar & drink beer were I to leave, turning on the a/c in the mancave & letting temps get below 85. Not soaking him & definitely not chopping up greens...probably feeding him chips & peanut butter. No, Houdini's still too young to fight off the temptations... he still needs his mother.

I'll think of something....
That's kinda what I was thinking about the eggs. They just aren't ready yet. That's why my theory is that wild tortoises and turtles need so much more protection than other animals. It takes them a long time to have babies and a lot of them don't live. It also takes them years before they can even reproduce. So maybe that's why they lay eggs like that. Just have them developing until it's the right time and circumstances.?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you, you really are THE BEST! I can’t read your messages without smiling. I’ve had a chance to check things out now. It looks like several years of life were taken off of the shingles based on the amount of shingle grit that was on the ground and my steps. Thankfully my car was spared. I think this is because of the angle the hail was pounding down and a perfectly placed tree. All the trees, shrubs and that sort of thing have been pretty badly stripped, but they will likely all grow back next year. I have a motion censored security light in the back yard and the bulbs on it are smashed along with a globe light that got smashed to bits. We continued to have angry sounding storms throughout the night and well into the morning. Just in the last couple of hours it seems like it’s finally moved on. The important thing is Dozer and I are ok. After work tonight I’ll have to get out there and clean up all the broken glass. My brother lives about 15 min away from me and ended up with a foot of hail on his property and hail damage to 2 of their vehicles. My parents yard is always perfectly manicured but it looks like very different today. Here’s a before and after pic they sent me of a big arrangement they had in front of their house.

View attachment 332104
View attachment 332105

This is a picture my brother sent about halfway through the hail storm from in front of their house.

View attachment 332106

Thanks again for your kind message. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the storm headed for you passes quickly and isn’t too damaging.
That's kinda what I was thinking about the eggs. They just aren't ready yet. That's why my theory is that wild tortoises and turtles need so much more protection than other animals. It takes them a long time to have babies and a lot of them don't live. It also takes them years before they can even reproduce. So maybe that's why they lay eggs like that. Just have them developing until it's the right time and circumstances.?
Yeah, but you can't have Sally like this until her eggs are "ready." That could be tomorrow or years from now, Chef.

Somehow I got your 2 conversations into 1.

Krista, that is truly awful. I'm so sorry. What a mess!! I'm glad you & Dozer are fine, but boy, that's severe damage to a lot of people, homes, cars & landscape. Good for the roofers, but truly sucks.

In all the times I was in Calgary in the '80's, I never saw anything like this!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Why isn't she given an oxytocin injection?

Hey Maggie?
Would an oxytocin injection be given if the eggs are not big enough to birth?
Suck a weird question but I had to ask..
Shouldn’t they be golf ball sized?
I know they have no babies in them but wouldn’t having her lay them too soon be the equivalent to an abortion ?
Just sayin?….
Wouldn’t that hurt?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you, you really are THE BEST! I can’t read your messages without smiling. I’ve had a chance to check things out now. It looks like several years of life were taken off of the shingles based on the amount of shingle grit that was on the ground and my steps. Thankfully my car was spared. I think this is because of the angle the hail was pounding down and a perfectly placed tree. All the trees, shrubs and that sort of thing have been pretty badly stripped, but they will likely all grow back next year. I have a motion censored security light in the back yard and the bulbs on it are smashed along with a globe light that got smashed to bits. We continued to have angry sounding storms throughout the night and well into the morning. Just in the last couple of hours it seems like it’s finally moved on. The important thing is Dozer and I are ok. After work tonight I’ll have to get out there and clean up all the broken glass. My brother lives about 15 min away from me and ended up with a foot of hail on his property and hail damage to 2 of their vehicles. My parents yard is always perfectly manicured but it looks like very different today. Here’s a before and after pic they sent me of a big arrangement they had in front of their house.

View attachment 332104
View attachment 332105

This is a picture my brother sent about halfway through the hail storm from in front of their house.

View attachment 332106

Thanks again for your kind message. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the storm headed for you passes quickly and isn’t too damaging.

HOOOOLLLLYYYYYY ??!!!!!
I am sooo glad to know you all are ok!
My god! That poor car!!!!!
And your parents gorgeous plants!!!
How long were they battered? A week?? ?
Wow!!!
Just wow!!!!
Poor Dozer!
I am surprised he didn’t crawl into your bra!!! ?
That’s a lot for a little tort to take.
Glad mommy was there for him.❤️
As for the rest of the people and things,
My word… I am sooo sorry to see and hear of all that . My prayers are always with you.
I hope recovery is swift. ??❤️?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
HOOOOLLLLYYYYYY ??!!!!!
Wow!!!
Just wow!!!!
Poor Dozer!
My word… I am sooo sorry to see and hear of all that . My prayers are always with you.

Here’s the NEW news…..

Attachments

• AF9793D2-EA09-4C09-BD16-F4AFDEA47F42.png
    AF9793D2-EA09-4C09-BD16-F4AFDEA47F42.png
    392.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 0584FA29-B2B9-454F-8774-C641B5C7CDC5.png
    0584FA29-B2B9-454F-8774-C641B5C7CDC5.png
    432.3 KB · Views: 5

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

So you think x-nay ..on the doctor-yay?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
That’s what I’ve been trying to do.
But they said no apt.this week.
So I am waiting for a call back?…
I would equivocate Sally"s problem to what I call having leg twitches at night where you feel like you need to pee all the time, you can't sit still, lie still & you feel like hurling yourself off the bed. You walk around trying NOT to think about twitching or peeing & just wish you could go to sleep. You go pee, you walkaround, go back to bed, & the dance starts all over again.

I can relate with you & Sally. I'm just amazed at your stamina.

I know nothing about torts' anatomy. Are the eggs sitting on her bladder in any way?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I would equivocate Sally"s problem to what I call having leg twitches at night where you feel like you need to pee all the time, you can't sit still, lie still & you feel like hurling yourself off the bed. You walk around trying NOT to think about twitching or peeing & just wish you could go to sleep. You go pee, you walkaround, go back to bed, & the dance starts all over again.

I can relate with you & Sally. I'm just amazed at your stamina.

I know nothing about torts' anatomy. Are the eggs sitting on her bladder in any way?

What stamina??
It’s beer, wine and coffee !
You don’t think I could?..…
I mean with the..….
How would I ?……..

Nnooooo…… nnnooooo way!
Oh… and lots of cigarettes too! ????

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
HOOOOLLLLYYYYYY ??!!!!!
Wow!!!
Just wow!!!!
Poor Dozer!
Oh Chef you are a jewel ?. After reading all that she has to be cheered up or at least laughing her head off on your take of it?? for you and hoping the tornado bounces up and fizzles out. And any more that rears their ugly eye.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So you think x-nay ..on the doctor-yay?
I'm not an expert to say that but I did start wondering about it with the box turtle I had. After about a year of having her she laid 3 eggs and it was a total shock to me. I was told she was from a pet shop. But as I researched it I read a lot of conflicting information. She could have been from a pet shop or a wild animal. I still don't know. I've read that the eggs could be fertilized for several years before they lay them. Also that they form and lay them even if they are unfertilized. I don't think I would do a vet if she's not acting uncomfortable anymore but I don't know. It's just stuff I've read not what I've experienced.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Dystocia is when they are straining to give birth? Is that correct?
Dystocia is when the uterus won't contract, or won't contract productively, or if eggs/feti are not moving properly in preparation for parturition.

If an animal is not actually at the point where mature eggs or feti should be birthed, then oxytocin is pointless (and, yes, painful).

If the remaining eggs are not mature, and she's back to Normal, then there's no action required. Just give her proper care and be mindful that there are now a minimum of 9 eggs inside.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Dystocia is when the uterus won't contract, or won't contract productively, or if eggs/feti are not moving properly in preparation for parturition.

If an animal is not actually at the point where mature eggs or feti should be birthed, then oxytocin is pointless (and, yes, painful).

If the remaining eggs are not mature, and she's back to Normal, then there's no action required. Just give her proper care and be mindful that there are now a minimum of 9 eggs inside.
My impression is that she's not back to normal. Or her new "normal" requires exceptional care. But I admit to knowing nothing about torts. It's just my impression as a female & personal experience.

Casie A

Riverview
Ok.. Today I am just going to Rip
the bandage off and ask for your help...

I have a full grown lady Sulcata.
For the past two weeks all she wants to do is soak?
She has recently FINISHED laying her clutch of eggs and was doing better than she has ever been before!!!

She was eating like a horse.
She was pooping medium blackish poop.
Pee was normal (sometimes with urates that looked normal)
She was soaking.
She was walking all over the place.
She was sleeping soundly under her CHE in her night box perfectly.

I mean everything was sooo perfect!
I even shed a couple of tears because for the first time in her life I felt like I was doing everything CORRECTLY!!
(All thanks to YOU guys!)?

But now, about three weeks ago
One night it all went away???
In one single night everything changed?
And I ,for the life of me ,cannot figure it out!?
I have tried everything (following your specs).. and still nothing!?

She eats sparingly and only lettuce (she will not eat grass).
She poops maybe once a week if that..
Her pee is fine but the urates were a yellowish tint this morning..?
She will not go near her night box for warmth...
She HATES outside.
She will walk around but then heads right back into my basement to the tub banging against it till I put her in.??
I caught her once putting her head under the water for quite awhile too!!!
(I know they drink that way) but this looked different... like she was trying to kill herself or fell asleep like that.
She stretches when she is in there like she is comfortable but I know she cannot stay in there!?!?
She wants all lights off and just wants to sleep!
I am wondering if she is :

confused if it’s night or day?
I wonder if she is blind?
I wonder if she has a RI?
I wonder if she is producing more eggs?
I wonder soo many things but I check “ no” off of the list every time!

I LOOK FOR EVERYTHING!!

(About the RI.. no nose running no sneezing, no wheezing and I listen on her back .. no crackling sounds.. )
I thought of an RI because of the lethargy, and on OCCASION she pulls her head inside fast and as if trying to clear her nose?
But it is NOT running or she is not coughing.
It’s like as humans have allergies
We sneeze once in a while.. you know?
I even thought of allergies but you already have said in the past that torts don’t get allergies.
Soooo.... could someone give me ANY suggestions?
I will listen and try EVERYTHING!!
I miss my girl!!!
She was doing soo perfectly, I thought she was one of Toms for a moment!!! (Should have known it wouldn’t last)..
I don’t want this to last much longer! I want my healthy Sulcata back!!!
I don’t want to run to the vets just yet... and I still have the Baytril from last time.
But if she won’t eat how in the heck am I supposed to pry open the mouth of an 90lb Sulcata!!!??? (I think she has lost some weight since the eggs and was eating her proper diet of GRASS...and all the pooping)
She even feels thinner now.
Her neck feels thin...
It used to feel chunky (chubby).
Ok... there I said it...
Please don’t be mad if I am doing something wrong.
Please just correct me and I will change it. I just need help. I am desperate. She was doing soo well and in ONE NIGHT this happened! I swear to God..
ONE NIGHT!?!
Could it be the summer?
Thank you all sooo much in advance!!!!!
Sincerely,
Chef ?‍?????

I will send pics of today too..
I am so sorry! I do hope she gets back to her old self very quickly. ??

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I am so sorry! I do hope she gets back to her old self very quickly. ??
C'mon guys. There are so few tort vets who know what's going on with torts. Can you float Chef some suggestions of vets, vet hospitals or vet schools who are willing to arrange phone or video consultations with Chef that have expertise in egg-bound virgin sulcatas or any species of torts?

Breeders are turning out sulcata clutches of 20+ eggs & no one else is having this problem with mature female sulcatas? Has no one else on the forum had this problem?