TN Tortoise owner question:

Location (City and/or State)
IN
So, my question is if there is a way to get any legal permits or documentations for a tortoise my parents yoinked from the wild back in 2001.

She's currently mine, and she is quite happy and healthy, and I spoil her rotten, but I would love to have her looked at by a vet just in case. I'm just afraid that this tort, who has lived with us for 20 years or so, would get me or my family arrested for owning it.

It's been so long since it's been in the wild that I can't fathom ever returning her there. I doubt she'd be able to survive. I was hoping that because of how long she's been in captivity that maybe there's a permit or a special class I can take to keep her legally so that I can finally rest easy knowing I can go to a vet for any issues.

I honestly didn't know about TN laws regarding wildlife until a month ago, and my parents never even thought it was an issue at the time they took her in.

Is it even safe to discuss this or ask this question? I'm not sure. I just want what's best for my pet because she is my baby bean(tm) and as much as I'd rather never go to a vet, I know that I'll need to bring her to one eventually because even baby beans(tm) gotta get a checkup.

Any information for this is welcome, but please know that I, and my parents, never intended to break any laws. I want to go through this safely while still keeping my torty, if possible.

She is a three-toed, by the way.

Jan A

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, CO
So, my question is if there is a way to get any legal permits or documentations for a tortoise my parents yoinked from the wild back in 2001.

She's currently mine, and she is quite happy and healthy, and I spoil her rotten, but I would love to have her looked at by a vet just in case. I'm just afraid that this tort, who has lived with us for 20 years or so, would get me or my family arrested for owning it.

It's been so long since it's been in the wild that I can't fathom ever returning her there. I doubt she'd be able to survive. I was hoping that because of how long she's been in captivity that maybe there's a permit or a special class I can take to keep her legally so that I can finally rest easy knowing I can go to a vet for any issues.

I honestly didn't know about TN laws regarding wildlife until a month ago, and my parents never even thought it was an issue at the time they took her in.

Is it even safe to discuss this or ask this question? I'm not sure. I just want what's best for my pet because she is my baby bean(tm) and as much as I'd rather never go to a vet, I know that I'll need to bring her to one eventually because even baby beans(tm) gotta get a checkup.

Any information for this is welcome, but please know that I, and my parents, never intended to break any laws. I want to go through this safely while still keeping my torty, if possible.

She is a three-toed, by the way.
Welcome to the forum. In today's atmosphere, I say "never say never" but I can't believe this is strictly enforced or vets lose their license for not confirming paperwork.