Tis the season, canned pumpkin?

AlishaT

5 Year Member
So, the question I have, I hope I'm not alone here, can Walter eat canned pumpkin provided there isn't any salt etc added? If he can then how much, as in should it be only once treat sized? I don't want the poor guy to be totally left out, you know the reptile disease at the table is kind of frowned upon. And off topic, would it hurt to let him walk around a bit since he isn't outside anymore?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I always let mine walk around the living room when they are inside. I had one that used to nap in the wine rack. Just make sure you block off any areas that are not safe or easy for you to extract a tortoise from should the need arise. Trust me, a Russian tort can and will find any area you do not want them to find, and they will go there as quickly as they can! And canned pumpkin is ok but fresh is better. Not to often though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Canned pumpkin is ok, but make sure it's not canned pumpkin pie filling.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I cook many pumpkins this time of year. Mostly I roast it, then cube or puree, and freeze. But I always have cans handy too. I use it for lots of things, including the occasional pie.
Pumpkin is SO underrated. My torts are getting a lot of pumpkin right now. I like to mix pureed pumpkin with their 2x per week Mazuri meals.
I guess some feed fresh. Mine are small, so I feed the roasted stuff.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
As far as the canned stuff goes, Libby's makes 100% pure puréed pumpkin, nothing else added. I give my babies (they are roughly 7 months old) a few small dollops on top of their greens once in a while.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1385595701.222876.jpg
Hopefully yours like it as much as mine do [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A good thing to do too is when there are fresh pumpkins available, cut it up and freeze it. Then you have fresh/frozen pumpkin when ever you want to feed.
As for canned pumpkin, do not cook. As for fresh pumpkin, again, do not cook, feed raw, seeds and all. Just blend it all together for a small tortoise. Feed without blending to a large tortoise.

AlishaT

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the good advice. I do still have some pumpkins next to my front door for decor. Day after Thanksgiving, note AFTER Thanksgiving, comes the Christmas garb so I can do like suggested and cut them up and freeze them. I can do them like I did baby food in the ice cube tray so it's serving size[WINKING FACE]