tips/tricks for a newbie with a plastic tub enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be housing my babies in a big plastic trunk (obviously leaving the lid open lol) It's 31"x12"x16" and has a fairly flat floor, no big trenches or anything like some of them have. I have a few questions about lighting/heating/substrate.
What is a good substrate for them? I've been told shredded newspaper is best until they get bigger (not sure how big they'll be when I get them, but probably close to freshly hatched). Is that really best or should I use something else like peat moss or cocofibre or tiles?
I am going to be bringing back the fluorescent light fixture off one of my empty fish tanks to provide a full spectrum light for them when I go home for a visit in April. I was planning on leaving their tub in my livingroom, where there's no a/c. I'm living in the Caribbean, should I also bring down a clamp lamp w/ ceramic heater or should the house be warm enough? I know the tortoises live outside on the island here, but those are adult torts, not wee babies. I really don't want to get back to the island and realise I need more supplies, which I won't be able to get here, because, well it's an island :rolleyes:
Would you all suggest a ceramic heat lamp? Or would it be better if I just got a full spectrum lamp that I could also use as a heater, like a repti-sun or something?
Any other tips/hints about housing would be very much appreciated :)
I really appreciate the sticky of the plastic tub enclosure, I was feeling a little ashamed that I was going to basically be putting them in tupperware, but now I feel much better :) I think I might try growing some plants for my little one too, although I'm pretty pitiful at gardening, I'm going to give it a go :)

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What species of tortoise(s) are you getting? It depends on the species as to what the substrate, heat, lighting is.
Patsy

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I believe she is getting 2 or 3 baby Redfoot torts. I will leave the advice to the Redfoot owners. Nice to see you are a vet student and doing your research before getting your torts. Congrats on your upcoming shelled babies.
Lucky you in the Caribbean, :) some day I will get there for a visit.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Hi Thalia,

Congrats on getting the BEST tortoises on the planet! I CAN afford to say that..
because I'm right -
36_12_6.gif
36_10_1.gif

All kidding aside.. I don't know much about many things Thalia.. but I've been told I do know redfoot tortoises. When you feel like learning more than you probly want to know about them.. go to any one of the websites in my signature and start reading and following the links - with hundreds of pics to back the talk.

Let us know how it goes...

Terry

Thalia

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
oh yes, I am getting redfoots, sorry I forgot to mention that. I always do my research before getting pets :) I did 3 or 4 months of research before getting hermies and almost a years' worth before getting my budgie. I feel a little rushed that I'm going to be getting my torts in a few months and still know very little about them!

susan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca.
First I should say this is only of my opinion. Second I am a Ca. Desert tortoise girl. I have raised several straight out of the egg very successfully using this method... I do not shred the news paper I leave it flat. Also I like to use a full spectrum light and a ceramic heat lamp. Depending on the breed the temp. will vary. I used 2 thermometers, someone else will tell you what kind. mine were just the little ones that sat at the bottom of the the enclosure. One placed at the "warm" end and one at the "cooler" end. Tortoises do still need sunlight everyday, at least a couple of hours. That also alows them to go and dig in the dirt. Also I always used little boxs instead of the "reptile" cave thing because it seems they end up with poop on it and then I can toss it and make a new one. Cuts down on possible bacteria. I am a clean freak did I mention that? ahahaha!!! Maybe just a freaky pink haired lady!!! I also change the newspaper daily and remove any poop as it comes. I have also raised many birds and they need the same treatment when it comes to the cleanliness factor(paper changed daily). I am an ex volunteer foster parent for PEAC. Parrot adoption and Education Center. It is a really long story why I stopped. I am currently a member of the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society. They have really great information and care sheets on their web site.
I just totally babbled SORRY:) I am long winded sometimes:) oops

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Keep in mind.. Susan is talking Ca. Desert tortoises. I don't doubt that how she does the Desert tortoises.. works - for Desert tortoises! Redfoot tortoises are completely and totally different. Redfoots are found in and around the forests/jungles of South America.. where it's often 80% humidity - NOT the deserts of North America.. where it's 20% humidity!

So redfoots NEED high temps.. HIGH humidity.. LOW light! AND they are Omnivorous.. almost Carnivorous!!!

Your FIRST step to research should start with: "Where does this species originate from"?

Stay species specific.. and your torts will thrive.. according to their "specific" needs.

Thalia

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I know I can get peat moss on the island, is this ok for them to put under their hidie hut?
I've looked at your tort set ups RFNerd and I really like them, I was going to model mine on yours (if I can find plywood and someone to cut it for me on island).
Also, you recommend aquarium lights, any specific brand/type/strength?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thalia said:
I know I can get peat moss on the island, is this ok for them to put under their hidie hut?
I've looked at your tort set ups RFNerd and I really like them, I was going to model mine on yours (if I can find plywood and someone to cut it for me on island).
Also, you recommend aquarium lights, any specific brand/type/strength?

Not 'peat' moss.. follow the link to Mosser Lee.. http://www.mosserlee.com/products/lfsm.html - follow all of the Housing & Diet links. Also look at the Turtletary "Caresheet" too.. http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm - keep reading!

Just regular 'plant/aquarium' lights.. any Wal-mart, etc.

Keep us posted

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
A suggestion or maybe a request from us mainland-bound captives. If you can get to the crater of Mount Misery, look around and let us know what the habitat is like. I understand there is a colony of RFs there. Everything we know of the home of these guys is secondhand. You're our spy in RF paradise.

Thalia

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
LOL Mt Misery? oh honey, I'm not that athletic, however if anyone I know is going to brave that hike, I will ask them to kindly take pictures ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.