Tips for keeping Redfoot outdoors in Northern Cali?

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I live in Elk Grove, Ca. Summers here are HOT and pretty dry. Winters in the 30’s. Currently I have a 6 yr old leopard, Yoshi, who has a heated house and has the whole yard to graze and explore.
Am thinking of adding a couple of redfoots for my sideyard separate from Yoshi.
I plan to make a mini forest with many plants, a larger heated house and a stream for them to soak in. During colder weather maybe empty the water so they don’t get sick?
The area is 10x30’ and gets a couple of hours of sun.
Is there anyone who keeps redfoots outdoors year round in not so humid areas? Any tips?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a "rain forest" for my Manouria and YF tortoises. The YFs live on the edge of the rain forest and their area is over run with grass:

Yellofoot yard 6-11-15 a.jpg

The rain forest portion is in deep shade, and I haven't been able to get any thing to grow on the floor, just the occasional clump of grass.

Running the length of the rain forest I have T-posts pounded into the ground with drip line attached to the tops of the posts. Then I punched in sprinkler-type drip emitters that put out a circle about 5' circumference. They put out a fine spray and I have it on every afternoon when temperatures are upwards of 90+F.

Rain forest 6-11-15 a.jpgrain forest 6-11-15 b.jpg

Sorry for the blurry quality of the pictures. I'm crap at picture taking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Elk Grove, Ca. Summers here are HOT and pretty dry. Winters in the 30’s. Currently I have a 6 yr old leopard, Yoshi, who has a heated house and has the whole yard to graze and explore.
Am thinking of adding a couple of redfoots for my sideyard separate from Yoshi.
I plan to make a mini forest with many plants, a larger heated house and a stream for them to soak in. During colder weather maybe empty the water so they don’t get sick?
The area is 10x30’ and gets a couple of hours of sun.
Is there anyone who keeps redfoots outdoors year round in not so humid areas? Any tips?
I recommend against it. I've seen many people try it in dry climates, and it usually doesn't work well. Get a species better suited to your dry climate.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I recommend against it. I've seen many people try it in dry climates, and it usually doesn't work well. Get a species better suited to your dry climate.
I was thinking maybe box turtles as an alternative since they won’t need a heated house but if the humidity requirements are the same as redfoots probably not a good choice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was thinking maybe box turtles as an alternative since they won’t need a heated house but if the humidity requirements are the same as redfoots probably not a good choice.
I agree with your assessment. I don't keep box turtles, Manouria, red or yellow foots, elongata, or Aldabras because my climate is all wrong for them. Could I get any of these and keep them alive? Yes, but it wouldn't be easy and I don't think its good for them.