Tips and photos for checking if your weeds are "safe." Photo heavy!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I often see questions from new members wondering how to tell if the weeds they've found are free of pesticides. I took a few pictures that might help.

We've had heavy rains this spring in California and weeds are exploding everywhere; it's an excellent time to go out and about.

As always, use caution whenever you are looking for weeds. Don't pick close to roads, as the car exhaust isn't good for plants. If you are near a trail, you need to get far enough off it to be sure a dog hasn't been there. Be prepared to get your shoes dirty and a few stickers on your clothes.

Getting started:

You need to find some plant pests, as that's the reason plants get sprayed--to kill them. Some signs are easy to find. Bright red ladybugs are everywhere right now. Ladybugs eat smaller bugs so if you see one, chances are good you are in the right place.

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

You might see other bugs and snails that eat the plant directly. Our snails are very bold right now.

IMG_2666.JPG

Usually I'm not this lucky and I have to look closer for tiny bugs. Most of the time it's aphids, tiny bugs that suck the juices out of plants.

This sow thistle looks pretty good at first.

IMG_2671.JPG

But when you look at the stems up close, some of them are covered with tiny black aphids. They make the stems look a little fuzzy.

IMG_2668.JPG

When you check the leaves at the bottom of the plant, they are purple or yellowed, with tiny holes--the result of having been sucked dry.

IMG_2687.JPG

Aphids aren't always black or as obvious to see. The back of this bristly ox tongue leaf has a few aphids scattered about. There are actually a few small yellow aphids on this plant, too light for my phone to capture. Aphids can be orange as well.

IMG_2692.JPG

Other plants will be infested with fuzzy white mites, like this bristly ox tongue.

IMG_2767.JPG

Other plants have been eaten by "chewing" bugs like caterpillars or grasshoppers. Snails also leave obvious holes. This mallow and wild mustard made a good meal for some small critter.

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

Sometimes what you find isn't even a bug. Look at the front of this mallow leaf, it's covered with tiny yellow spots, they are almost see through. IMG_2693.JPG

When you turn it over, it's covered with tiny yellow or brown lumps. This is caused by a fungus (like athlete's foot for humans). It looks gross but it means the plant hasn't been sprayed with a fungicide either, something that is common in commercially raised plants and gardens. This rust virus is common to mallows so chances are you'll see some of it on the weeds you pick. The one below looks particularly bad.

IMG_2694.JPG

But how does it taste?!

While these plants don't look very appetizing to us, your tortoise doesn't care how they look. I rinse mine off and hand them over.

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

Hopefully you'll find something safe for your tortoise, too!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I often see questions from new members wondering how to tell if the weeds they've found are free of pesticides. I took a few pictures that might help.

We've had heavy rains this spring in California and weeds are exploding everywhere; it's an excellent time to go out and about.

As always, use caution whenever you are looking for weeds. Don't pick close to roads, as the car exhaust isn't good for plants. If you are near a trail, you need to get far enough off it to be sure a dog hasn't been there. Be prepared to get your shoes dirty and a few stickers on your clothes.

Getting started:

You need to find some plant pests, as that's the reason plants get sprayed--to kill them. Some signs are easy to find. Bright red ladybugs are everywhere right now. Ladybugs eat smaller bugs so if you see one, chances are good you are in the right place.

View attachment 202667

View attachment 202687

You might see other bugs and snails that eat the plant directly. Our snails are very bold right now.

View attachment 202668

Usually I'm not this lucky and I have to look closer for tiny bugs. Most of the time it's aphids, tiny bugs that suck the juices out of plants.

This sow thistle looks pretty good at first.

View attachment 202685

But when you look at the stems up close, some of them are covered with tiny black aphids. They make the stems look a little fuzzy.

View attachment 202686

When you check the leaves at the bottom of the plant, they are purple or yellowed, with tiny holes--the result of having been sucked dry.

View attachment 202672

Aphids aren't always black or as obvious to see. The back of this bristly ox tongue leaf has a few aphids scattered about. There are actually a few small yellow aphids on this plant, too light for my phone to capture. Aphids can be orange as well.

View attachment 202675

Other plants will be infested with fuzzy white mites, like this bristly ox tongue.

View attachment 202673

Other plants have been eaten by "chewing" bugs like caterpillars or grasshoppers. Snails also leave obvious holes. This mallow and wild mustard made a good meal for some small critter.

View attachment 202677

View attachment 202678

Sometimes what you find isn't even a bug. Look at the front of this mallow leaf, it's covered with tiny yellow spots, they are almost see through. View attachment 202679

When you turn it over, it's covered with tiny yellow or brown lumps. This is caused by a fungus (like athlete's foot for humans). It looks gross but it means the plant hasn't been sprayed with a fungicide either, something that is common in commercially raised plants and gardens. This rust virus is common to mallows so chances are you'll see some of it on the weeds you pick. The one below looks particularly bad.

View attachment 202680

But how does it taste?!

While these plants don't look very appetizing to us, your tortoise doesn't care how they look. I rinse mine off and hand them over.

View attachment 202681

View attachment 202682

Hopefully you'll find something safe for your tortoise, too!
Thank you for this post! Love the visual aids too:)