Tiny Sulcata Hatchling worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
My the first egg of my second clutch of sulcata eggs started hatching last night(just a pip) and this morning I open the container up to discover a fully emerged hatching that was tiny. Much much smaller than my first clutch hatchlings. The strangest part is its huge yolk sac that is very very FIRM vs being soft like most. The tortoise is very active but I'm worried that his yolk sack won't absorb correctly because of how big and how firm it is. And before I get asked ,no I did not assist him in getting free from the egg. I've been breeding many types for years and I always let them emerge on their own . Here is a picture of it next to a month old hatchling. He is the size of a hatchling box turtle almost, so tiny!! Should I be concerned??ImageUploadedByTortForum1372814158.451456.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
I wouldn't be concerned, the yolk sack doesn't really NEED to be there anyways, it's their to provide nutrients to the hatchling in the wild. :) cute tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've never had one hatch THAT small. I have no advice for you, but I'm interested to see how it grows and what ends up happening. Will you please keep us posted?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I will definitely keep everyone posted on the progress. He/she is in a brooder box now crammed between moist paper towels to keep him upright because if not he would simple lay sideways. I've had smaller than usual cooters, box turtles, musk etc. but never had one born with a super hard yolk sac. It's about the hardness of a unriped grape, maybe a hair harder. Moist are soft and absorb within 2-5 days. I suspect his will take weeks due to the size of the absorbtion scar/area on the plastron .Only time will tell.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Don't think there is anything to worry about. And I agree, I think the yolk sac will take a little longer to absorb.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks Lancecham, this morning he was fine and trying to be more active than he should be lol. His energy levels are through the roof which is a good sign. Time shall tell

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Hey Tom this is what I PM'd you about a while back when I asked about the Sudans.

I have a female that always lays a few of these extra small babies. At first I held off selling them because I didn't know if they would thrive or not. They all have done just fine and grown as well as any other tortoise. I would not be concerned.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hm-m...I've always wondered if there would be any dwarfism in the tortoise world. It will be interesting to watch this one grow.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Just an idea, maybe soften the yolk sac up a bit with Vaseline. That's what I do with all my hatchlings.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Hey everyone here is some pictures I took this morning. The smaller hatchling is from the 2nd batch of eggs my female laid this year. The larger hatchling is one the last eggs to hatch from her 1st clutch. They were laid 29 days apart.

You can see the enormous difference in size and yolk sac size/shape/texture. The tiny hatchling still has a ton of energy and seems fine so far.

I will continue to update on this strange situation ImageUploadedByTortForum1372970772.028235.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372970783.577384.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372970800.596905.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1372970819.970752.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
He still has decent energy this morning. Not quite as spunky

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I hope he makes it!! What an adorable little guy! I will be hoping and praying for him! Good luck!!!

Vickie

5 Year Member
He is such a CUTIE! I do wonder if he will get as big as other ones though. The comment of the dwarf tortoises was one I always wondered as well. Has anyone ever had ones that stayed super small compared to the average?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
His energy is down and his yolk sac may have absorbed a slight amount. I'm not going to call it just yet, but I think it will be a long shot to survive. Others in his clutch are starting to hatch and they have normal size and yolk sacs.

zman7590

5 Year Member
its forsure cutest

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Good luck. Keep us posted about the cute little one

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.