tiny plants are growing in our terrarium moss

tiffew

Has this happened to anyone else? Our baby Eastern Box Turtle lives in a habitat with soggy terrarium moss. I've noticed some very small plant seedlings growing in the moss. Any idea what it could be? Is it ok if the turtle eats this? I don't know if he will, but just asking. Also, what are some things we can plant in their on purpose that will grow easily that he will eat? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Let 'em grow. It's just little plants growing from seed of whatever you've fed him.

tiffew

That will be interesting to find out--what they are since I've taken Out everything he's not eaten a few hours after putting it in there.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That will be interesting to find out--what they are since I've taken Out everything he's not eaten a few hours after putting it in there.
Leave food in there don't take it out after a few hours, he may just come eat later when he knows nobody is around. I leave all sorts of things in the enclosure for the baby turtles.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ok. Thanks.
I have put cameras in my enclosures and it's amazing to watch them from afar, they usually get up right after lights on. Start Strolling around and exploring, then they will eat a little and dig back in. A few hours later the same routine, etc, etc.... if I see them out in the morning I will soak them and feed pellet food but if They are dug in, I just leave them for the evening to soak. I leave pill bugs, worms and every now and then I throw crickets in. I have another tank with just crickets and very little substrate so they can't hide, I will put them in there for a few hours and it's a blast to watch them chase crickets. I can seem some growth on his shell so he's definitely growing, he's eating something, maybe just not a lot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yes, but the seeds come back out in the poop.

tiffew

How can you tell where the growth is on his shell? I will upload a photo of him from when we first got him.