tiny black bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vail Colorado
I moved an outdoor plant six months ago into my tort terrarium and now there are tiny black bugs that like to eat the uneaten vegetable matter. I usually rinse the stone where the tort eats to remove the bugs but they return. I've also removed a lot of substrate, but they return. I've never seen any signs of the bugs infesting the tortoise. I soak him regularly so I think I would've noticed.

I have been told these bugs are not mites and that they can be beneficial as they eat microscopic mold and fungus spores in the soil. Supposedly, these bugs are the most common species on earth, living in both alpine and tropic areas. Does anyone know about these bugs specifically from experience with torts? Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you referring to the little mass of them when like you move a potted plant and they under it....or move a cool rock and like a gazillion of them are under there?

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
Laura said:
do they crawl or fly?

they only crawl

ascott said:
Are you referring to the little mass of them when like you move a potted plant and they under it....or move a cool rock and like a gazillion of them are under there?

Now that you mention it, yes, they could be the same type.

jackrat said:
Hard to say what they are without a photo.

I'll see if I can get my cell cam to focus that closely.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I keep a window fly trap stuck on the side of my tortoises tank just to keep excess bugs down. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.