Tiniest tortoise breed

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Morning y’all!
I’ve been trying to look up what is the world’s tiniest tortoise breed is for about 30 minutes. WIFI is almost nonexistent here.

Can anyone tell me what the tiniest tortoise breed is and where it is from?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Morning y’all!
I’ve been trying to look up what is the world’s tiniest tortoise breed is for about 30 minutes. WIFI is almost nonexistent here.

Can anyone tell me what the tiniest tortoise breed is and where it is from?
TORTOISES and turtles do not stay "tiny" depending on how you look at it.
Pancake tortoises are known for being on the smaller end, then you have egyptian tortoises. If you go for a male tortoise they tend to stay on the smaller end being a few inches smaller than females. Um Hermann's and Greeks (MALES) stay under 5-6 inch while females reach 7-8.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Males generally stay smaller.
1. Pancakes
2. Egyptian
3. Hermanns
4. Russian tortoises
5. Greeks
I put them in the exact order by kinda tiny, to small.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Aren't they apart of the pancake family? If not are they apart of anything?
The "padlopers" are not in the Pancake genus (Malacochersus). They are in their own genus Chersobius (formerly called Homopus) which has several very small species. Most are smaller than Egyptian Tortoises. Adults are only around 3" to 4" or so in length. The smallest of them all is called the Speckled Padloper (Homopus signatus). The padloper tortoises are all from South Africa and are very rare in the US. They are somewhat more commonly available in Europe.

Another very small tortoise genus is Psammobates, the tent tortoises. These guys are only slightly larger than the padlopers.

Alabama
Pancake tortoises are known for being on the smaller end, then you have egyptian tortoises. If you go for a male tortoise they tend to stay on the smaller end being a few inches smaller than females. Um Hermann's and Greeks (MALES) stay under 5-6 inch while females reach 7-8.
Thank you!
My neighbors niece asked me. I told her I knew a little ab nothing about turtles or tortoises.
Thank you! My neighbor had asked me and since I know next to nothing about turtles and tortoises I thought I’d look it up. Although I love being out in the country 99% of the time I miss wifi at i when needing quick info.
Thank you! My neighbor’s niece had asked me. I’ve s ent
Thank you!

Alabama
The "padlopers" are not in the Pancake genus (Malacochersus). They are in their own genus Chersobius (formerly called Homopus) which has several very small species. Most are smaller than Egyptian Tortoises. Adults are only around 3" to 4" or so in length. The smallest of them all is called the Speckled Padloper (Homopus signatus). The padloper tortoises are all from South Africa and are very rare in the US. They are somewhat more commonly available in Europe.

Another very small tortoise genus is Psammobates, the tent tortoises. These guys are only slightly larger than the padlopers.
Wow! A+ for you! I even love the name padloper.
However just because they are small doesn't mean they can live in tiny places.
Of the ones listed, they all need at the very least a 4x8 foot enclosure except the pancakes, I have been told before
Padlopers, I think are the smallest. But they are incredibly rare.

*buys Yvonne a C*ke!*
So cool. Say is else having trouble wit

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are no tortoise breeds. They are classified as different species.

"Breed" refers to different varieties of domesticated animals that are all the same species. For example: Great Danes and wiener dogs are the same species but different breeds, while Russian tortoises and speckled padlopers are totally different species. Not even the same genus.

Alabama
There are no tortoise breeds. They are classified as different species.

"Breed" refers to different varieties of domesticated animals that are all the same species. For example: Great Danes and wiener dogs are the same species but different breeds, while Russian tortoises and speckled padlopers are totally different species. Not even the same genus.
Learning every day! Thank you. ?