Timmy's Tiki hut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
OK I just joined and introduced Timmy to everyone here on the introduction section. Now I want to show off his enclosure which is not really an enclosure at all, it's my entire yard with a tiki hut as his house. Lots of pics and the first is of Timmy.
IMG_0466.jpg

I decided I wanted to create an awesome tiki hut that would be big enough for Timmy for the rest of his life. The dimensions on the inside are 60 inches wide by 32 inched from front to back and nearly 3 feet down. I also wanted it to more accurately represent a natural burrow so I dug a huge hole in the ground so Timmy would have to go underground to get inside.
IMG_0454.jpg

the ground slopes down to allow access with steps along the way.
IMG_0453.jpg

Here is Scooter, he was used as a future stand in to check the size. Scooter belongs to a coworker of my wife and he is 55 pounds and just over 20 inches!
IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Scooter and Gilligan the 12 year old Rottweiler
IMG_0418.jpg

I wanted to ensure he couldn't dig out so we laid down concrete on the bottom and then began to build the walls with fence blocks.
IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

Then I set some posts to support the roof
IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

Then we smeared mud on the walls to give it a more natural look which was tons of fun
IMG_0488.jpg

and the finished project!
IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

To add one more really cool component I made a self sustaining water dish. My AC units condensation line drips on the side of the house so I put the water to good use and used concrete to make a bowl under it. It's always full of clean fresh water. I do flush it everyfew days cuz Timmy has a tendancy to use it as a toilet while soaking.
IMG_0570.jpg

Now we are working on irrigation so that we can grow lots of greens for timmy to eat but without irrigation the Arizona sun won't let anything grow.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
That is awesome! Do you ever fear that an unusually heavy rain might flooed the hole? Second, how did you make the top?

Timmytort

5 Year Member
I was a little worried but I designed it so that it could withstand heavy rain without flooding. Also I live just outside of Phoeniz so we seldom get heavy rain. If you look closely at the entrance you will see a burm or levy type of device made of dirt which prevents any water from running down in the hole. Having two roofs really helps also, the roof over the hole keeps water away and the roof over the down slope prevents water from getting in cuz it falls off the roof on the other side of the dirt levy. So far it has been through 2 rain storms or Monsoons as they are called out here. There is also about 6 inches of loos dirt on top of the concrete so timmy can still dig. It would take lots of water to come close to flooding it, I would guess at least 50 gallons cuz I dump about 5 gallons each week in there to increase the humidity inside and after 5 minutes you cant even tell I put water in it.

The top is actually very easy, I had plans to build it from scratch but found outdoor umbrellas that were perfect and $20 each. They are 75 inches and look like thatched roofing. I made a simple plywood roof over the block then used a hole saw to make a hole in a spare piece of 2x4 which I attached to the center of the plywood roof. The umbrella pole was cut down and placed in the hole I cut in the 2x4. I did something very similar for the front roof by cutting a hole in a longer 2x4 which was laid across the big beams. I used rope and eye hooks to loop around the umbrella supports to keep the whole thing tied down.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's beautiful, but doesn't he get kinda cold in the winter? I know your temps drop some in the winter...What's his winter hut like?

Timmytort

5 Year Member
During the winter months we will use a ceramic heat emitter that I can hang inside. I also have a big cardboard box I keep so I can bring him inside at night on the really cold nights, thankfully we don't get many.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Eddie! I'm so impressed! Nice job.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Next set of questions are...how long did it take you to make and how much did it cost?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
:) It's always great to see someone put forth so much effort for their tortoises. :tort:

nnaaddiinnee

5 Year Member
North-East Scotland
Wow what a cool idea! Unfortunately not an idea that would really be suitable for Scottish weather! But looks like you worked really hard and its really paid off. Well done! :D

Timmytort

5 Year Member
Not very much jacqui. The labor involved was intense to say the least but the cost was surprisingly low. Trying to dig a hole in arizona is near impossible, i tried digging then filling it with water and digging after the water softened things up. That didnt work and took over a month to dig just over a foot down. I ended up getting a pick axe to finish it which was really hard but got it done in 2 days.
Cost, The umbrellas were 20 each and the fence blocks are .75 cents each 3 bags of concrete at like $3 each and mortar mix about $5. The posts were $2 each and I only bought 8 and have a full one left along with lots of scraps. In total I would say less than $100.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL Eddie....digging here at our house is like digging in concrete....I use 1to 2 of the black soaker hoses....I lay them on the ground in the spot and in the shape I am going to dig then turn it on just barely enough to have an ever so small layer of ground water to penetrate at a slow rate...then I walk away for 24 hours or a touch longer depending how deep I am going....then I shut it off usually in the am...then I go back to dig later that day once the soggy is gone but dirt still way moist and easier to dig...with a spade shovel.....I just find this works for me planting in this hard ground.....

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That looks great. Nice way to keep him shaded and moist in the dry hot summers. Very nice step by step instructions, too.

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
Once again, I see something that I want to construct. My wife is going to cut me when she comes home and I have a huge hole dug. Great idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.