Time To Start Hoarding Incandescent Bulbs?

MarginatedMooney

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I just saw this article come across my news feed today... Apparently, the US Department of Energy might start prohibiting the sale of all light bulbs with less than 45 lumens per Watt. I'm assuming that would include all incandescent bulbs.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I just saw this article come across my news feed today... Apparently, the US Department of Energy might start prohibiting the sale of all light bulbs with less than 45 lumens per Watt. I'm assuming that would include all incandescent bulbs.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The groundwork for this initiative was started a long time ago. tl/dr

There are many countries where this is already the standard.

If you don't fancy switching to CHEs on thermostats and LED lamps, then yes, you probably should stock up. Especially as prices may rise as stock decreases.

Hard to say if "specialty" bulbs will remain exempt indefinitely...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ebay and Amazon are still fully stocked with a variety of incandescent types and sizes.
And they're still cheap.
I've been getting mine there the last few years since Florida has begun to phase them out also.
Those are banned from being shipped to California when you go order any. So the order cannot go through.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Re: Incandescent Bulbs becoming rare.....
The beginning of this started in 2007 with Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA). The law was to effectively ban most incandescent light bulbs, starting in January 2012.
The 2012 United States federal budget effectively delayed the implementation of the first stage of the EISA phase-out until October 2012 by de-funding all enforcement activities.
Funding for enforcement was also denied in some subsequent years, at least up to 2015.
In 2014, the Department of Energy issued regulations that would extend the efficiency standards of the 2007 EISA law to some specialty bulbs, effective January 2020.
In September 2019 the Trump administration rolled-back these energy efficiency standards for light bulbs with the Energy Department's publication of regulations in the Federal Register.
The Energy Department announced the reversal of the 2014 regulation that would have taken effect on January 1, 2020 and implemented the last round of energy-saving light bulb regulations outlined by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.
n 2007, the state of California introduced legislation to phase out the use of incandescent bulbs by 2018. The bill established a minimum standard of twenty-five lumens per watt by 2013 and sixty lumens per watt by 2018.

The California regulations were challenged in court by light bulb manufacturers upon the US Energy Department's action reversing the 2014 regulation that would have taken effect on January 1, 2020. California, Colorado, Nevada, Washington, and Vermont had already adopted their own energy standards. The ruling in the manufacturer's favor would have allowed some types of incandescent bulbs to remain in service despite state regulations. A judge ruled that the state efficiency standards were proper under the congressional exemption previously granted.

This is excerpts of a Wikipedia Page:
The USA is located about 1/2 way down the page

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Re: Incandescent Bulbs becoming rare.....
The beginning of this started in 2007 with Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA). The law was to effectively ban most incandescent light bulbs, starting in January 2012.
The 2012 United States federal budget effectively delayed the implementation of the first stage of the EISA phase-out until October 2012 by de-funding all enforcement activities.
Funding for enforcement was also denied in some subsequent years, at least up to 2015.
In 2014, the Department of Energy issued regulations that would extend the efficiency standards of the 2007 EISA law to some specialty bulbs, effective January 2020.
In September 2019 the Trump administration rolled-back these energy efficiency standards for light bulbs with the Energy Department's publication of regulations in the Federal Register.
The Energy Department announced the reversal of the 2014 regulation that would have taken effect on January 1, 2020 and implemented the last round of energy-saving light bulb regulations outlined by the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.
n 2007, the state of California introduced legislation to phase out the use of incandescent bulbs by 2018. The bill established a minimum standard of twenty-five lumens per watt by 2013 and sixty lumens per watt by 2018.

The California regulations were challenged in court by light bulb manufacturers upon the US Energy Department's action reversing the 2014 regulation that would have taken effect on January 1, 2020. California, Colorado, Nevada, Washington, and Vermont had already adopted their own energy standards. The ruling in the manufacturer's favor would have allowed some types of incandescent bulbs to remain in service despite state regulations. A judge ruled that the state efficiency standards were proper under the congressional exemption previously granted.

This is excerpts of a Wikipedia Page:
The USA is located about 1/2 way down the page
To be clear, I have no problem with energy efficient light bulbs. I use them myself and have switched all of mine to LED. I even removed old florescent tubes and fixtures and replaced those with LED fixtures years ago. I do this even though I have solar on my roof and get my electricity for free.

My issue is with the government banning the bulbs I need for my animals, and taking the decision out of my hands. They have no right to tell me what light bulbs I can or can't use, just as they have no right to do most of the other things they are doing. Its none of their damn business, and this is more overreach and abuse of power. I don't mind them encouraging people to use LEDs. Education is a good thing. What I can't live with is them telling me I can't use the bulb I want over my reptiles.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
To be clear, I have no problem with energy efficient light bulbs. I use them myself and have switched all of mine to LED. I even removed old florescent tubes and fixtures and replaced those with LED fixtures years ago. I do this even though I have solar on my roof and get my electricity for free.

My issue is with the government banning the bulbs I need for my animals, and taking the decision out of my hands. They have no right to tell me what light bulbs I can or can't use, just as they have no right to do most of the other things they are doing. Its none of their damn business, and this is more overreach and abuse of power. I don't mind them encouraging people to use LEDs. Education is a good thing. What I can't live with is them telling me I can't use the bulb I want over my reptiles.
I 100% wholeheartedly agree with you on this issue! I doubt they even realize people like us exist and depend on these bulbs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m thinking here...maybe there is a new small online business opportunity.... ?‍♂️
Yes! Back alley deals. "Hey man. I got the stuff... I gotcho 25 watts, 45 watt, and a whole case of the 65s. C'mon man. Check it out... I got what you need..."

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thank you for your interest in "Hot Vase" Online! Our vases come in 25 oz, 45 oz, 65 oz, and limited edition 100 oz. (these are really HOT, so get yours before they're gone!).
There's a nifty "Hot Vase" for every household decorating need!