time for a new spider tortoise post! (pics too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen

5 Year Member
this section needs to be more active! i'll start:

today i went to get all my babies up and about, soaks & food... when i opened up the hidey lid to look for my spiders (it is always a challenge to find them), i saw this sad little sight!
tortoise067.jpg

poor little guy, somebody get him some sphagnum moss!

origionally i had those pots for hides, but they never used them. so i succumbed to tom's use of plastic boxes, i got some boxes with hinged lids and drilled holes, ans stole the sphagnum that used to be stuffed in that sideways pot that dr. parnassus was in this morning. so now i have two of these:

tortoise068.jpg

tortoise069.jpg

the holes face the heat sources because in my opinion it simulates the rising sun so the would come out to bask when i turn their lamps on. however, they hate these. the only time they ever use them is when i put them in there and bury them under moist sphagnum moss. i've also never known them to use the pots until just this morning.

sorry, still haven't found lemon, no pics of her!

and finally, i was so suprised to notice this:

tortoise070.jpg

two new shoots from a bannana tree that's been inside for a month (one on top, a new plant shooting out from the bottom)! i thought they needed better light, but maybe it's getting light from my sulcata enclosure that's on the other side of the room, closest to the bananna tree.

okay, new pictures or posts from all the spider tortoise owners on the forum: ready, go!

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
Very Cool!
I agree there needs to be more posts in this section. I think the problem is not too many of us have spiders. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I wonder if your torts would use the plastic hides if they were darker.. more of a hide hole. the light shines thru...

moswen

5 Year Member
Laura said:
I wonder if your torts would use the plastic hides if they were darker.. more of a hide hole. the light shines thru...

nice thought! i will have to see what i can do about that. they are forest-dwellers after all!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very nice Rebekah! Though I wouldn't say they are typical forest-dwellers....more like spiny forest dwellers-a forest full of cacti and succulents.

Did you get yours from Tim & Robin?

moswen

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:
Very nice Rebekah! Though I wouldn't say they are typical forest-dwellers....more like spiny forest dwellers-a forest full of cacti and succulents.

Did you get yours from Tim & Robin?

yes i did!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Lemon looks great! There ARE too few posts in the Madagascan tortoise section. :( I guess few people have actual experience with them.

I agree with Laura. Spiders would appreciate a nice, dark, humid hidebox. They aren't exposed to light all the time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.