Time for a New Enclosure?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Littlefoot is growing like crazy! He joined our family on his 3 month birthday, October 22nd, weighing 20 grams and was 1.75" long. Here are his measurements a few days ago.

My stepdad is going to build us a permanent 2-level enclosure, around the start of the new year. Should have it by February/March at the latest, I think. In the meantime, he's been in an under-the-bed style Sterilite tote that measures 15"w x 39"l x 5.5"h.

It's holding humidity, temperatures are doing great, and he's been a happy, healthy little guy. Lately though, he's started pacing the walls a bit, and always runs to climb on top of his hides (they're about at the lip of the container) when I take off the lid. One time he almost geronimo-ed off the edge when I turned my back for a second. I don't want to build a fancy enclosure when I'll be getting a new one in just a couple months. And since I'm saving up money for the wood and supplies for that, I can't really afford to build much of anything. But it does seem like he's wanting more space and room to roam.

I have a 75 gallon fish tank/stand that has been empty the last couple months. Still running, but no inhabitants. It measures 18"w x 48"l x 21"h. What would I need to do to make this a clean and safe habitat for him? It's pretty grimy. Lots of hard water marks and calcifications, algae, fish germs...not to mention a sand substrate that will need to be removed and I'd have to make a lid and way to hang his lights (I have 3 naughty kitties, so a lid is a must!). Are these few extra inches of space in the meantime worth the effort? Will he be happier with this? Is there anything else I can try? Should I just wait?

Thanks everyone. :)

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I would clean it with some bleach and water. Rinse it well and let it dry. Use a piece of wood to close off the top and hang the lights from the wood. Here is a pic of mine.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
You are a lucky little girl!and a smart loving tort owner, be proud of yourself ! Yes ,the turtle will love having some new stimulus ,things to do and explore. Don't worry too much about the fish germs ,have your step dad hose it down or put it in the bath tub to clean it ,scrub it with salt,lots of table salt, it will abrade the calcium some w/out scratch ing the glass. Have fun ,your, a good kid.try not to worry too much the turtle would eat a dead fish ,YUCK huh!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another thing you could use, not sure if they are bigger then your tank though, are the Xmas tree tote boxes they are selling now to hold and store the fake Xmas trees. Actually after Xmas, they should be on sale. Might want to check into them. I so love the tracing for the size. I wish I had thought of that when I first got my Leo. A really neat thing to do with them, is if you have a pic of him at the sizes of the tracings, you could have them all, sometime down the road, made into a book. Just a thought for ya.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I just got a christmas tree storage bin that is 22 x 56 and is 18 inches high. It is HUGE! I can't believe how excited I got when I saw it...... lol

it was only 29.99 too and very thick plastic :)

my babies are each in there own 40 gal breeder tanks but soon I know my sully will need something bigger so I am glad I bought it now.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Thank you everyone!!! OMG I never thought of the xmas tree totes! Happyjoyjoy where did you get your bin? What a great idea! I'll have to shop around and see what I find. :D

Edwardbo, I'm a full grown woman....just a woman with no carpentry skills, haha. Thanks for your input though! :)

Wellington, I am already making a book for Littlefoot. :) Lots of pictures and tracings...pressed flowers from his enclosures...notes about his favorite foods, etc. :)

Kirin what size is that tank in your photo?

Thanks again guys. :)