Tim is new here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddoc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I just posted a minute ago on another thread, and realized that I never came and introduced myself. My name is Tim Bailey, and I live in South Louisiana (near New Orleans). I have had numerous reptiles and other critters since I was a child including; snakes, iguanas, red ears, eastern box turles, various species of snakes, scorpions, tarantuals, etc. I currently breed snakes as a side hobby, and have a fairly large collection of Ball Pythons. I also have a small group of Corn Snakes, Kenyan Sand Boas, Nicuraguan Boas and Blood Pythons. I breed them all, and have produced all of the above species (with the exception of Bloods, as I just got into this species a few months ago). I am planning on adding some Angolan Pythons, Black Bloods and Western Hognose snakes this coming year. With all of that said, I am obviously a snake guy. We have been doing the latest collection for about 8 years. I keep saying we, because my wife (Monica) does all of the rodent breeding (we produce all of our own snake food).

How did I end up on this board you ask? That is a long story, but to make it short, a very good buddy of mine and I were driving back home from a reptile show (he already has numerous toroises and has for many years), and we decided that we wanted to get some Aldabras. We both have plenty of land, he has 5 acres and I have 7 acres. We made a phone call, and decided that it was a done deal (this was last October). After that discussion, I decided to start reading everything I could get my hands on. I also stumbled on this forum, and have been reading behind the scenes. At any rate, my tortoises should be arriving sometime this week, and I thought I would join and introduce myself before it was picture time. I have built a small, simple indoor enclosure for the torts, in case it gets a bit chilly outside (which is rare at this time of year), and it resides in my adult Ball Python room. I also built a 5' x 5' portable oputdoor enclosure for my 2 Aldabras (they are yearlings by the way). I have planted a patch about 40' x 50' with Bermuda seed, and will move the outdoor enclosure around as they graze the grass down. I will begin building their permanent outdoor enclosure later this year. That enclosure is going to be about 1.5 acres, and will be built out of cinder blocks to about 3 feet high with a 2 foot high chainlink fence on top. There will be a fairly sizeable concrete pond and a hot house in the enclosure.

With all of the above said, I will be getting some pics to load up over here of my torts and enclosures as soon as they arrive. Thanks for having me, and I look forward to contributing as much as I can while learning more during my stay.

Sincerely,

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the fourm Tim. I look forward to seeing pics of your new ones soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tim:

Glad to have you as a member here!

939406rfdyjurmqo.gif
to the forum!!!

muddoc

5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Hopefully torts will be here this week, so I can get some pics.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Tim. :D

Wow, you start big! Aldabrans are so large and majestic...I have only seen a few of them on this forum. Bring on the photos of your "little" ones! ;)

muddoc

5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Thanks Stephanie and Isa.
Stephanie,
The biggest reason I selected Aldabras, is because of their size. I have plenty of room for them, and have a friend local to me that has four of them. I always thought it was neat to see four big boulders walking in his front yard. If it wasn't Aldabras, I was going to go for Radiateds, as they are my next favorites.

I don't think they are going to make it to me this week, so I will have to hope that next week is the week. I can't wait to post up some pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome. Why are you only making the pen 1.5, if you've got seven. Jeez don't crowd the poor things.

JUST KIDDING. I will one day do what you are doing. I'm jealous, but happy for you. You won't have any pyramiding problems where you live. I spent a few months there last year. Very humid. Ever eat at "Z"s? Love the thai rib stacks. MMM.

Really looking forward to those pics. I know what Aldabs look like, but I'm also interested in your housing innovations.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Nothing like starting "small" :D. Glad you have joined us and am looking forward to watching you get as hooked by tortoises as you are by snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.