Tiger neck/Leopard tort hybrid update

Status
Not open for further replies.

starfield

5 Year Member
I had a private message recently asking for an update on one of my torts previously posted... I have rehomed the tortoise with one of my closest friends.! The reason being very simple, my goal is to breed redfoots, it's been determined he is a leopard tortoise hybrid

image-2199705924.png

He is clearly developing more leopard tort characteristics and it has been confirmed by the breeder that the parents of this baby were housed wth a mature leopard tort pair, and no other tortoises period. He also notes that the mother was observed being mounted by the male leopard. Coloring, scales, leg and prefrontal all are confirming that it was in fact successful. Here are some pics my friend took today. The tort is now just over one year old . I will find the original thread later or post old pics of this guy when he was a hatchling.

Attachments

• image-3754230891.png
    image-3754230891.png
    678.6 KB · Views: 289
  • image-187081455.png
    image-187081455.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 296
  • image-3963749177.png
    image-3963749177.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 262
  • image-627357607.png
    image-627357607.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 277

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would probably not notice unless you said something. You can see the spots in the center of the acutes and it has a higher domed shell. Very cute.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Leopards and RF can breed?... O.O

Theyre so different i wouldnt think so, then again IDK much, lol

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I tend to be skeptical about interbred tortoises. For one thing, tortoises can store and mix sperm for several years, so each egg in a clutch can have the DNA of a different male. For another, the courtship patterns of the two species are pretty different, so I sort of doubt a female red-footed would be sexually receptive after being rammed. Then, of course, there is the basic DNA compatibility in the first place- these guys should not be very compatible. (If they did cross, the offspring are almost certainly sterile.)

In what was was it determined that this is a hybrid? It is certainly an unusual looking red-footed, but was any sort of genetic testing done?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Whats?!! Redfoot and leopard?! Definately an interesting specimen!!! Thank you for posting! :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country

I tend to be skeptical about interbred tortoises. For one thing, tortoises can store and mix sperm for several years, so each egg in a clutch can have the DNA of a different male. For another, the courtship patterns of the two species are pretty different, so I sort of doubt a female red-footed would be sexually receptive after being rammed. Then, of course, there is the basic DNA compatibility in the first place- these guys should not be very compatible. (If they did cross, the offspring are almost certainly sterile.)

In what was was it determined that this is a hybrid? It is certainly an unusual looking red-footed, but was any sort of genetic testing done?
[/quote]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yagujubei: Please explain your picture.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Yvonne maybe that picture is showing larger hybrids of LeoFoots lol... See what I did there... Or redpard

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Millerlite said:
Shelled warriors I believe, it's a European based tortoise and turtle forums

Thanks. :)

haidao88 said:
Yvonne maybe that picture is showing larger hybrids of LeoFoots lol... See what I did there... Or redpard

I like LeoFoot. :D

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
really has the same head shape as my leopard :) You can kinda see the traits of both leopard and red foot so i would safely say its a cross, some how, some way, it happened. Cute little thing though :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
FLINTUS said:
Correct about the shelled warriors thing. UK based-a forum which most UK owners are on. This may explain a bit more-turns into a debate after a while but quite interesting to go through if you've got time:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=67842

I don't spend a lot of time on SW but I did catch this thread a few weeks back. You're right about interesting. The tangent it went off on is a good debate subject and I thought about bringing it up here but I didn't think it would be productive. I think there are parts of this forum that do not handle debates well.

Besides, who would play the part of Ed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.