Thrips Population Control in Terrarium

Lyles

I've noticed for the past couple of weeks an epidemic of tiny winged insects, called thrips, have continued to multiply at a staggering rate inside my terrarium. I haven't even seen mites reproduce this fast, every day when I remove their food dish it is covered in them and the next day the number only gets bigger.

I think they were the culprit behind all the plants dying (aside from the bulldozing).

They must have come in the organic soil I bought, and I do not want to use pesticides. Is there anything safe I can use that can at least cull their numbers without harming the turtles? I saw where I can buy some predatory mites that has been suggested can prey on thrips (but mainly to control spider mites) but I am picturing a mental image of the mites just taking the thrips' spot lol. I also thought about using a few drops of essential oil around the edges, but I know first hand how harsh those oils can be, especially in an enclosed space and would want to avoid them if possible.

I have a lot of diatomacious earth, would that work? or maybe a vinegar spray?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Well I had a similar conversation with Yvonne. I had a massive colony of springtails develop in mine. I know springtails are beneficial but not at the rate the colony was growing. (Plus, I culture sow bugs and pill bugs to do the cleaning.) Too many concerns of them getting into other areas of my home, so I decided to first put my boxies in another quarantined tank and use DE food grade. I put a 1/2 inch layer on top of soil, wait an hour then turn the soil and add another 1/2 inch layer on top. I then used a vinegar water mix to spray any linger springtails. Unfortunately these hardy insects only knocked down the colony. I put all items back into the terrarium bought new plants(repotted) and yet the little boogers were back thriving. Operation DE and vinegar really didn't work the way I thought after a week. Plus, the DE even when moisten and then dried would dry out my boxies. For all the hours I spent on this project I could of spent baking my new soil and replacing it in half the time and cost. The plants all needed re potted again and mosquito dunks added to kill larvae and eggs. Yvonne opted to just replace the soil, that my friend was the right call.

Lyles

Well I had a similar conversation with Yvonne. I had a massive colony of springtails develop in mine. I know springtails are beneficial but not at the rate the colony was growing. (Plus, I culture sow bugs and pill bugs to do the cleaning.) Too many concerns of them getting into other areas of my home, so I decided to first put my boxies in another quarantined tank and use DE food grade. I put a 1/2 inch layer on top of soil, wait an hour then turn the soil and add another 1/2 inch layer on top. I then used a vinegar water mix to spray any linger springtails. Unfortunately these hardy insects only knocked down the colony. I put all items back into the terrarium bought new plants(repotted) and yet the little boogers were back thriving. Operation DE and vinegar really didn't work the way I thought after a week. Plus, the DE even when moisten and then dried would dry out my boxies. For all the hours I spent on this project I could of spent baking my new soil and replacing it in half the time and cost. The plants all needed re potted again and mosquito dunks added to kill larvae and eggs. Yvonne opted to just replace the soil, that my friend was the right call.

I was afraid that might be the case, guess I'll just have to get new substrate.