Three-week Old Sulcata Enjoying Sunshine & Lunch

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How long does that last? [emoji16]

So, good question. Now that it’s basically Summertime,with everything growing outside, it will last for about two weeks. I’ll pick dandelions and grass and hibiscus and other weeds from our garden to supplement. Then, every other day or so, I’ll cut off a very large banana leaf and feed that. Soooo, the pile you see is for supplemental feeding. Plus, some Mazuri too.

Ogh yes, some corn husks too. Corn is basically a grass - so now that fresh corn is on the market, corn husks too!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
So, good question. Now that it’s basically Summertime,with everything growing outside, it will last for about two weeks. I’ll pick dandelions and grass and hibiscus and other weeds from our garden to supplement. Then, every other day or so, I’ll cut off a very large banana leaf and feed that. Soooo, the pile you see is for supplemental feeding. Plus, some Mazuri too.

Ogh yes, some corn husks too. Corn is basically a grass - so now that fresh corn is on the market, corn husks too!
I did not know torts could eat corn husk!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I did not know torts could eat corn husk!

Yep. Ive been feeding our Sully corn husks for a few yesrs. Whats really nice is that our WalMart lets us take away the husks in the bin next to the produce section that is full of husks! Free Food.

Tort Table - Corn
  • The plant from which we get Corn on the Cob is actually a grass. It is safe to feed the leaves to your tortoise, but you should not feed the vegetable itself (the ears or cobs of corn) as it is too high in phosphorous, protein, and sugars which can ferment in the tortoise's gut causing acidosis, a condition that can cause severe intestinal problems and possibly death).

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Wow! Impressive storm front just blew through the Mid Atlantic here with gale force/tornadic winds and tons of rain, lightening and thunder. Gushing down rain, could hardly see a thing. But, there’s our Sully smack dab sitting in the rain gushing down from the roof, splashing, sprawling about and then, at the height of the storm, Sully stops to graze on her food pile.

Once the rain stopped, Sully Monster mozied on over to the heated hut for a nap.

Storm, tornadoes, thundershowers. Megh...like water off a tort’s back.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Wow! Impressive storm front just blew through the Mid Atlantic here with gale force/tornadic winds and tons of rain, lightening and thunder. Gushing down rain, could hardly see a thing. But, there’s our Sully smack dab sitting in the rain gushing down from the roof, splashing, sprawling about and then, at the height of the storm, Sully stops to graze on her food pile.

Once the rain stopped, Sully Monster mozied on over to the heated hut for a nap.

Storm, tornadoes, thundershowers. Megh...like water off a tort’s back.
It got real dark here with a short shower, the wind picked up slightly and then the sun came back out. More than once I've seen it storming on the Maryland side of the Potomac 2 miles away and it never makes it to Virginia.The rain brought the box turtles out and about.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hey all.

Haven’t posted much on Sully’s page in awhile ‘cause many updates Ive posted on the CDR thread. But, here we are in 2020 and our Sully continues to enjoy her indoor abode. A large heated area in our basement/ground floor complete with basking lights and a nice large heated night box.

Here is Sully out for a snack...cactus pads, cactus fruit, a pound of pumpkin, dandelion, kale & some bunches of dandelion. There‘s also hay & banana stalks for snacks.

EDC333BB-39A1-4CAD-B569-8333531AD7B6.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
It’s almost time for Ms Sully to get back into the great outdoors! We had a warm Winter, but then a very long colder than normal Spring. This weekend will mark the beginning of 80 degree days, but last year, we already had a 90 degree day! At least it’s humid too, & grass & weeds are growing.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Getting Sully back outside will be be good for both of you. Yes the weeds and grasses are growing, I haven't had to cut Walkers yard in over 10 years. This spring I have already cut it twice and it needs cutting again. I turned Walkers house heat off yesterday morning and it dropped down to 75 inside over night with the outside temps in the mid 60s.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Getting Sully back outside will be be good for both of you. Yes the weeds and grasses are growing, I haven't had to cut Walkers yard in over 10 years. This spring I have already cut it twice and it needs cutting again. I turned Walkers house heat off yesterday morning and it dropped down to 75 inside over night with the outside temps in the mid 60s.

and this morning, already HOT & HUMID. Dandelions & grass growing weather after yesterday’s showers. My sunflowers grew a few inches overnight!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
And Ms Sully is outside. Took some effort....Sully has gained a ton of weight since last Autumn when we put her in the lower 48 for Winter. Nice heated basement, new heated night box...tons of grazing. = Weight Gain

Ill have to do a proper weigh In, but I was very glad to see her mozy on over to her outdoor night box & crawl right in. I had to move the old Kane heat pad & thermostat. Outside box has a RHP & Kane pad.,

I’m guessing Sully is near the 100 lb marker, or ive gotten very weak!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I picked the perfect week to move Sully outside for the Summer. Nights are cool, but daytime temps have been low 80’s & humid.

Ive been working on our backyard deck, replacing fence, boards, etc.

The Inspector General for backyard modifications had to give my work an upclose inspection.

9DBCFBD7-4D81-44A5-B90B-D4B09D4574EC.jpeg