Three sulcata hatchling rescues

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I just saw the fourth one didn't make it. I'm so sorry.

~ Thank you, we did everything we knew to do. The little guy passed last night in the late evening hours. We are unsure exactly why, most likely compaction or some internal issue, we really are not sure. The other three are all eating, pooping and very active now.

~ I will post additional photo's and video's of there progress, etc. as time goes by. We are basically following the same protocols that we do for our aldabra hatchings.

~ On Friday (09-07-2018), the day we rescued the weights were 56g, 49g & 48g.

~ There diets will consist of all natural food sources, mainly grass, weeds, leafs, cactus and misc. other wild vines, etc. with some lettuces.

~ They are kept outdoors with natural sunshine during the day hours, soaked twice a day, and kept inside during the night time hours for at least the first month.

IMG_7452.JPG IMG_7453.JPG IMG_7455.JPG
IMG_7623.JPG

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Ya see Greg.... it's videos and pics like these that got me interested in sullies to begin with. Thanks for sharing bud!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Greg. I'm sure you're aware these three have started to pyramid quite dramatically. I will be very interested to see what your Florida weather does to that with them outside all day.

~ Yes, I noticed that, the ridges are obvious. I will continue to post and let's see how they progress and further develop.

IMG_7822.JPG

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
09-12-2018

~ Great overall day today, all three seem active, alert and eating. Was very happy to see small bites out of the baby cactus pads.

IMG_7925.JPG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Markw84

~ Yes

~ About how many days old would your best guesstimate be in the first picture?

That is so hard to say. So much depends upon how they were started and how they were kept. I have seen baby sulcatas with virtually no growth that were a year old. These do look to me like they are at least a few months old. To me the growth seams look a bit older. Like there has been extremely slow growth over maybe 3-4 months??? They don't have the look of fresh new growth. If they all came from the same place, perhaps the one is from a clutch a month or two later than the other two.

Sulcatas "normally" lay eggs Feb through April as the peak of their season. So these could be May hatchlings with a June hatchling as well. I would not guess they are 2017 hatchlings.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
That is so hard to say. So much depends upon how they were started and how they were kept. I have seen baby sulcatas with virtually no growth that were a year old. These do look to me like they are at least a few months old. To me the growth seams look a bit older. Like there has been extremely slow growth over maybe 3-4 months??? They don't have the look of fresh new growth. If they all came from the same place, perhaps the one is from a clutch a month or two later than the other two.

Sulcatas "normally" lay eggs Feb through April as the peak of their season. So these could be May hatchlings with a June hatchling as well. I would not guess they are 2017 hatchlings.

~ Thank you, never thought they were that old. Makes sense.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
09-13-2018

~ Day six: All eating, pooping, active and seem overall doing good.

IMG_8231.JPG IMG_8233.JPG IMG_8238.JPG

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Greg

I love all your setups and how you care for your tortoises. If I lived in your climate, I would throw in some palm fronds or a pile of mulberry leaves. Something to give cover and a great micro-climate they can hide beneath. In the wild, a hatchling would not be found in the open. They live under leaf litter, beneath tall grass tufts etc. This gives an area of almost 100% humidity and much less stress. In my dry climate I really have to overdo it with this when I finally can move tortoises outside. I feel natural cover is one of the best things we can provide for a tortoise - for so many reasons.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Greg

I love all your setups and how you care for your tortoises. If I lived in your climate, I would throw in some palm fronds or a pile of mulberry leaves. Something to give cover and a great micro-climate they can hide beneath. In the wild, a hatchling would not be found in the open. They live under leaf litter, beneath tall grass tufts etc. This gives an area of almost 100% humidity and much less stress. In my dry climate I really have to overdo it with this when I finally can move tortoises outside. I feel natural cover is one of the best things we can provide for a tortoise - for so many reasons.

~ Thank you

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ Day six, evening soak and relocated to the inside during the night hours. We will continue to bring them in at night until they have grown some, probably a few more weeks. All three are eating, small cactus pads seem to be a favored food. All three seem to be active, alert and heading in the right direction now.

IMG_8335.JPG IMG_8355.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Greg

This gives an area of almost 100% humidity and much less stress.

~ Great points, thank you. We have been doing the same things we do for our aldabra hatchlings and radiated hatchlings. I have been thinking about all the information you have provided and may change a few things. Always seeking better ways and new perspectives, striving for perfection always. Thank you.

IMG_8313.JPG IMG_3635.JPG