Three-Striped Mud Turtles: BOLD & PINSTRIPE

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
The artificial bonsai moved with the turtles, so I guess turtles still grow in trees... :D
View attachment 281295
It's hard to tell in the picture, but Bold is actually standing on the tree, not on Pinstripe's shoulders. That's what they told me, anyway... ;)
HAHA!!!! I dunno...(peers closely at the photo...;) )

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
The artificial bonsai moved with the turtles, so I guess turtles still grow in trees... :D
View attachment 281295
It's hard to tell in the picture, but Bold is actually standing on the tree, not on Pinstripe's shoulders. That's what they told me, anyway... ;)
It does look like the one is standing on the others shoulders [emoji28] I love it they're beautiful

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Bold and Pinstripe are doing quite well. They're not so little any more... Well, okay, size is relative (here's where slider and sulcata keepers start laughing)... But they aren't so little any more for three-striped mud turtles. :D

Would you believe that Pinstripe is the larger turtle now?! :p

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
20200321_222111.jpg
This is a picture of Pinstripe from late March 2020. I don't know if you can tell from the picture or not, but the girl has GROWN. When this was taken, Pinstripe weighed in at 198 grams and measured 3 & 25/32 inches. Making our little Pinstripe the second biggest turtle in the house (after the boxie). That means Bold is now third.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
How are these guys doing?
Bold and Pinstripe are doing well. They have both grown quite a bit (for mud turtles), and they aren't as chompy as they used to be. If course, now that they're in their 40 breeder tank, I don't handle them nearly as often, either. They both have been happy and content to eat the Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets, so I don't get the demands for live food that I used to get. At two years old now, I think they have mellowed out a bit.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
They look really good and CLEAN! Too cute!
Thanks! Those pictures were taken by my significant other, which explains the quality (he's really good at it!). And I think he had just come back from his assignment a couple hours away (he's telecommuting for the moment), and one of the the first things he did was clean the turtle tank for me. :D

I might get credit for cleaning off and getting vital statistics on the actual turtles! ?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Gorgeous! I just never could bring myself to get into aquatic turtles ( the water thing) lol
It's great when the filter is happy and functioning well... Sometimes trying on the soul when there's an equipment problem you can't quite figure out, though.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
What filter are you using currently?
Since the girls moved into their 40 breeder tank several months ago, we've been using a ZooMed Turtle Clean 511 canister filter. It isn't too bad (now that I'm a little more comfortable with cleaning it), but after a couple/few months, the clear plastic tubing between the intake and the filter and the filtered water outlet gets really dingy. Then if/when there's an issue with the filter, it's like flying blind because of not being able to really see the water flow through the tubing.

There's only five or six inches of water in the tank.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Since the girls moved into their 40 breeder tank several months ago, we've been using a ZooMed Turtle Clean 511 canister filter. It isn't too bad (now that I'm a little more comfortable with cleaning it), but after a couple/few months, the clear plastic tubing between the intake and the filter and the filtered water outlet gets really dingy. Then if/when there's an issue with the filter, it's like flying blind because of not being able to really see the water flow through the tubing.

There's only five or six inches of water in the tank.
Thanks

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Eventually, what I would really like to do from a filtration standpoint, is to set up a (probably DIY) filter unit that handles a relatively large quantity of water...and ideally would filter water for the mud turtles' enclosure, the spotted turtles'enclosure, and the box turtle's pool. That's a ways off, though, but I like the economy of scale idea even with small turtles and indoor enclosures.

The three turtle species I keep are technically all native to the same part of the U.S. Technically, the range of all three species overlap with where I live. My boxie (GCBT) is a long term captive, but the muds and spotteds are all captive bred from The Turtle Source. (I have known Marc for 20+ years, I always stop by there at the National Reptile Breeders Expo in Daytona Beach in August.) If the turtles were a more diverse collection, I would not realistically consider putting them on the same water filtration system (eventually) in the future.